Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: we got a serious problem here  (Read 103590 times)
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 06:52:24 AM »

always helps chew your food before wolfing it down Smiley
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 07:43:54 AM »

unaware != doesn't like

0.7.0 had a digg article. 0.7.6 didn't.

0.8.0 will get a digg article.
i eagerly await 0.8.0

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 11:09:46 AM »

pulchr - do you have a server? If not then you will need to find out what it is you don't like.  I can possibly arrange a server where you click the middle mouse button and it will give you a range of settings and you just use scroll to select each mode - for it to work properly, you will need to set rate  10000,  cl_maxpackets 30, snaps 40. Some of the modes will force some minimum values, so you might have 125 maxpackets rather than 30 you have in your config.  Chances are it's config change and you can still play with the movement you want. However, you will need to find the servers which has a config more to your liking.

i can setup a server on my linux box here right next to me (though i play in win xp). but i doubt that will help as the problems with my mouse occurs both during online and offline play. movement as such (jumping, strafing, walking) is not a problem - just how the game interprets the mouse movements on my mouse pad.

and really i can't say the input is wrong in any way - it's just that from 0.7.6 it differs from how quake 3 has felt for the last decade or so Tongue
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »

considering that we're not at the 1.0.0 mark yet there is bound to be a lot of roller coasters on the way there

live with it, it's development.

oh fyi my main computer 'died' so atm i can only work on missionpack menus. i've started work on the controls menu which is my most feared menu of all.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 02:16:01 PM »

oh fyi my main computer 'died'
doh
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 09:57:44 PM »

Ok I am not really for or against 0.7.7.  I am just shocked in the way people are acting as if the players do not matter.  I mean really isnt the point of a game to have players to play it.  I dont think it matters if players are playing the old version.  The way the players of 0.7.1 are being treated may just make them leave OA altogether.  There is so much hostility.  Why cant we get those 0.7.1 players to give feedback what they want in 0.8.0.  I am just saying to think about the players and not be so selfishly bullish that 0.7.7 is so much better than 0.7.1.
The 0.7.1 players aren't upgrading because they do NOT know about 0.7.7 at all!
The 0.7.1 players haven't played 0.7.7/6 and they haven't said they haven't liked it. This is because there is no community-development communication at all.
Rashdawg is a wise man. You cannot force people into playing a version that they do not like, they will likely leave alltogether. I have played both versions. 077 has many features that 071 didn't. 077 had more models, maps, and gamemodes. Unfortunately the gameplay changed because the way the sensitivity works changed so drastically, and at the end of the day, thats what counts the most. I think that there will always be a divide between 071 and 077, so lets hope that 080 can unite both sides.

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 03:19:54 AM »

As for players not accepting the changes in newer versions and servers stay with outdated material they harm the whole development progress of the game. Fewer if at all (and always the same) bugreports are bad.
It disencourages to spend a lot of freetime into this project if the 'community' refuses to use it.

It hurts whenever somebody advertises 0.71

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 05:04:36 AM »

create a bugtracker ? its more effective than the boards i guess..and encourage users to file bugreports on the frontpage
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 06:15:06 AM »

It hurts whenever somebody advertises 0.71

Are you one of the players or hang out on irc that tested 0.7.6 ? If so, then accept some responsibility as we all don't zip up at the back.  These people let us down badly. It hurts to see so the forum flooded with people who can't even play the game, which also irritated more members. If not, then maybe you could support or suggest the postive development of 0.7.7.

When I had the oppertunity to install 0.7.6,  it was too late. I don't know why it's such a concern, the 0.7.1 players are probably more likely people who don't know about the upgrade. They will probably upgrade, it's the same bloody game. Would you think it would be better if the 0.7.1 players went to Q3? What about the people who have no time or play much and have a server parked there. People will communicate.

I have tried 0.7.7 and I have nothing negative to say about it. I feel quite comfortable about it as I don't see 20 new messages with a similar title like "please help with my mega problems". And the support of 0.7.1 is nothing compared to the exposure of 0.7.7.

Oh, and good idea aantipop, I'm very pleased to see you have have recovered from that awful panic attact and now posting more sensible stuff Smiley

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 08:13:54 AM »

Are you one of the players or hang out on irc that tested 0.7.6 ?

0.7.6 had little or no QA(Quality Assurance). Multiple changes happened to the source code of the ioquake3 & a lot new visual assets, in a very short period of time. The mistakes & problems that arisen with 0.7.6 including the lack of QA where resolved in 0.7.7.

These people let us down badly.

Those "people" develop Open Arena in their spare time, the only one that let you down is yourself, for not supporting the game you play!

It hurts to see so the forum flooded with people who can't even play the game, which also irritated more members.

It hurts to see the forum full of users that are unappreciative of the hard work & effort that the developers put in to making this game.

I have tried 0.7.7 and I have nothing negative to say about it. I feel quite comfortable about it as I don't see 20 new messages with a similar title like "please help with my mega problems". And the support of 0.7.1 is nothing compared to the exposure of 0.7.7.

Glad you like it, so could you change your signature from recommending users use 0.7.1 to 0.7.7?

create a bugtracker ? its more effective than the boards i guess..and encourage users to file bugreports on the frontpage

A proper Bug Tracker would be good. But for the moment if you wish to report a bug, post it in the Technical Snafus section. Smiley
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 09:47:20 AM »

OK, I guess this topic is going out of controll.

Lets be clear.

* Why is more fun to play 0.7.1 instead 0.7.7 and why are we "whining" so much?

'Cause you CANT controll ur mouse, when u try to turn right or left, JEEZZ!!! you got a 360º spin...
    Is it going to be the same for 0.8.8?
    Ok, sure, u can put ur lil' console down and write the cmd, but, what about the ppl who doesnt know how to do that?
    Those players who are not as involved in the game as the ppl who post here and read this forums?
    Is there any "readme" file with some useful cmd's added with the releases ( something I suggested long long time ago) ??
    Why dont we put in that readme file some tips about, "colored names", "wtf is the Handicap", "How to bring down the console"...??     
    Come on, even "tetris" has a readme file telling you how to play it...!!!

Im really really worried 'cause maybe you think this has no sense, maybe its toooooooo obvious, but it does have sense and is not that obvious for some ppl, as a game developer you should take all the chances to make ppl to understand how to play your game and so they will like it...

If you have lots of "whinings" about anything related to the game, its cause there is a problem INDEED, and should be discussed, and when I say discussed I mean, TO LISTEN and to response in a POLITE way to the ppl posts.

I hope to get my questions answered...
Thanks to all for your time.

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 10:05:38 AM »

In Linux this problem doesn't exist (and never has) since we don't have directinput there anyway

<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 10:09:42 AM »

Thx for answering, but, Is it possible to do something for the Windows players? right? Smiley
I am sure this will help you a lot, and ppl will understand lots of things too.

yep?

aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 10:14:13 AM »

In Linux this problem doesn't exist (and never has) since we don't have directinput there anyway

this is 100% bullshit, i have problems with the sdl input on linux, mouse gets unresponsive (x hair lagging far behind movements, after some fast movements) started with versions based on ioquake3 >1.33
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:17:19 AM by aantipop » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 10:26:37 AM »

Did you know ioquake3 has a forum?

aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 10:44:49 AM »

yes, and now you know that there are input problems on linux when i try to play your game
Mr. Oho
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

I will press the button!

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »

OK, I guess this topic is going out of controll.

Was to be exspected wasnt it? Tongue But realy im happily suprised how much of the posted oil didnt do anything to the fire if you know what i mean Wink

'Cause you CANT controll ur mouse, when u try to turn right or left, JEEZZ!!! you got a 360º spin...

Well i think unable to control is a bit of an exaggeration (unless im just on an extremly lucky configuration to not notice much). No im not saying there is no change just that i (being the no skills player that i am Tongue) dont realy notice. Yes im on windows atm Wink

Is there any "readme" file with some useful cmd's added with the releases ( something I suggested long long time ago) ??
Why dont we put in that readme file some tips about, "colored names", "wtf is the Handicap", "How to bring down the console"...??     
Come on, even "tetris" has a readme file telling you how to play it...!!!

I cant speak for the OA team but i wouldnt object to you doing one Wink Sorry its a bit flamy but i couldnt resist. Anyways in end someone has to write it and the problem is most people dont have much motivation to write pages of boring text they have no use for ;/

If you have lots of "whinings" about anything related to the game, its cause there is a problem INDEED, and should be discussed, and when I say discussed I mean, TO LISTEN and to response in a POLITE way to the ppl posts.

Trying to be an innocent bystander id be tempted to say everyone suffers from a bit of dont-wanna-listen/unpoliteness sometimes Wink
<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 02:30:19 PM »

Mr. Oho..! Smiley
Well, I will gladly accept the job.. I will try to make a very nice -readme file- about some basic stuff.
I hope my work to be taked seriously though.

And this question goes to the Boss.. fromhell, If I spend some of my free time creating this readme file, will u put it INTO the new release? as an additional file?

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2008, 04:25:03 PM »

a readme or game guide could also be added to the openarena wiki for people to read.
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2008, 04:57:14 PM »

I will make the make the bug report machine
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 12:19:33 AM »

Why not make a guide/readme on the wiki, then we could link to it in the game folder.
aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 03:00:37 AM »

yay lets get constructive
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 04:53:29 AM »

The 0.7.1 players aren't upgrading because they do NOT know about 0.7.7 at all!
The 0.7.1 players haven't played 0.7.7/6 and they haven't said they haven't liked it. This is because there is no community-development communication at all.

I would think that even the most average of people who get a game on there computers would assume that the game they are playing will be updated. Especially if the game they have isn't even a version 1.0
I would also assume that they would have the internet and could easily do a google search for something as simple as the name open arena and find some hits indicating there are free patches available.

What kind of community besides this website and a google search could you possibly be wanting here?

As much as i like simple wouldnt it be a better idea to integrate some kind of update ticker into future releases? No, it wont work now but i think it would provide a nicer way of telling people about updates.

Excellent idea. I don't think it would take much to make something like that.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 04:57:39 AM by Logan » Logged

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2008, 05:02:33 AM »

oh fyi my main computer 'died' so atm i can only work on missionpack menus. i've started work on the controls menu which is my most feared menu of all.

Good Luck! I can imagine how difficult something like that would be to program.

Well, I will gladly accept the job.. I will try to make a very nice -readme file- about some basic stuff.
I hope my work to be taked seriously though.

Hey I'll read it. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:13:27 AM by Logan » Logged

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2008, 05:10:10 AM »

-
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:14:06 AM by Logan » Logged

*Logan*