Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Choppy Play?  (Read 42167 times)
Mr.Roboto
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: June 14, 2008, 05:09:04 AM »

I had Open Arena Downloaded before, but had uninstalled it. Now, im trying to get it again, but when it plays, it acts all "choppy", sound wise, and visual wise. Why is it doing this, and what can I do to fix it?
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 07:31:22 AM »

Try this cvars

/com_maxFPS 125
/com_soundMegs 32

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
rancid punx
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 07:42:07 AM »

I had Open Arena Downloaded before, but had uninstalled it. Now, im trying to get it again, but when it plays, it acts all "choppy", sound wise, and visual wise. Why is it doing this, and what can I do to fix it?

i am in exactly the same boat as you

i dont know what theyve done to it since version 6 - but i appears theyve strapped the game engine onto a table and beaten it around the face and knee caps with big sticks

its like playing Q3A on a dreamcast with a 28k modem (believe me i know what thats like!)
rancid punx
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 09:13:47 AM »

Try this cvars

/com_maxFPS 125
/com_soundMegs 32

umm i just tried that and it didnt work

would you suggest increasing or decreasing the FPS figure ??
Mr.Roboto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 05:35:05 PM »

Im sorry, i don't no anything about the consol or anything...so that means nothing to me Tongue
rancid punx
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 04:26:28 AM »

try hitting it with a large hammer instead then

go on! whats the worse that can happen

if it breaks your computer though - send the bill to the admin of this site

kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 12:28:12 PM »

1. Have you got anything running in the background? (and I mean ANYTHING. Weird mouse/keyboard/graphics card drivers can screw things up.)

2. Is something else using all the bandwidth?

3. Try a single player game, any difference?

4. Is your computer powerful enough to run the game? (anything 2003+ should be fine)

5. Have you tried lowering the graphics/resolution settings in the options menu?
rancid punx
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 01:24:52 PM »

i have nothing running in the background

only me uses this pc

this is a brand new pc - pentium 4 - 2.8ghz proc.

ive set it on the shittest settings - even turned off marks on the wall, ejecting brass etc

still choppy

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 01:59:31 PM »

this is a brand new pc - pentium 4 - 2.8ghz proc.

Just to say I could run OA on a 400MHz processor so long as I had a decent graphics card. Make sure you are running a respectably good graphics card. What is your GPU?

What version are you running? Make sure it is 0.7.7, it should say 0.7.7 on the main menu screen in the bottom right hand corner.
If I can remember 0.7.1 was the first version to use SDL inputs which caused a laggy mouse on Windows based machines.

Type /cg_drawfps 1

This will display your framerate if it's above 30FPS you should get a perfectly playable experience.
Mr.Roboto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 02:36:57 PM »

But i use to have 7.1(?) and it ran fine. why is it all choppy now? And i havn't tried playing any games yet, its just the main menu thats choppy

EDIT: I tried it, single player is choppy as well. It is 7.7, and it says my fps is "0"...why? how can I fix it?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 02:41:05 PM by Mr.Roboto » Logged
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 03:20:28 PM »

Changed anything to do with your graphics card/drivers lately?
Also while OA is running open task manager and look for any other processes eating up the CPU.
Mr.Roboto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »

Taskbar doesn't show anything important, and we haven't changed anything for a while.
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 12:47:19 PM »

You didn't happen to buy a new video card recently? I tend to experience some choppy play on some maps after I swapped out my video card for a "better" one. I just blamed it on my card. Another thing is that I was using VGA cable but now im using DVI cable. I dunno if that could've been the issue as well. I think you may have something physically wrong on your machine. It isn't the game itself.

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »

Read this help to get a smooth game -> http://wiki.qwdrama.com/Smooth_Quake

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 11:10:15 AM »

That only applies to derivatives of the first generation of Quake engines. In my case, 125+ fps doesn't equally mean smoother, infact it appears jerkier at higher framerates

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Mr.Roboto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 12:07:53 PM »

Should I have a certain amount of memory on my computer in able to run it? Or ram or something? Im not great with computers, so I don't know how to check RAM, and if this would even effect it.

EDIT: I remember something. I use to get an error message when I first had OA, saying there was something wrong with my display. You could either hit OK or CANCEL, and it would increase my screen size and changed he contrast of my computer, for about 3 seconds before the game loaded. And It worked fine. Now I don't get an error message, it just changes it automatically. I doubt this has anything to do with it...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:11:57 PM by Mr.Roboto » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 12:31:13 PM »

The new SDL OA 0.7.6/7 binaries do go through some extensive video mode setting often trying 32-bit color instead of what's actually chosen (i.e. 16-bit color). Perhaps this has something to do with it

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Mr.Roboto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 01:20:09 PM »

And how would I fix this? just set it to 16-bit ingame?
Mr.Roboto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »

BUMP
rancid punx
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 12:28:05 PM »

*waits with baited beath for the answer...*
Mr.Roboto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 04:47:20 PM »

lol. I don't think its a problem with the console tho, but then hey, how the hell would I no?
rancid punx
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 01:19:34 PM »

i dont know mate

all i know is that last year Open Arena worked supremely well

now its as though its been ass raped to death

give me a call when version 10 hits teh netz
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 10:01:24 AM »

JUST FOR REF :

While there maybe countless reasons for this issue, I get this all the time. On every version or game. I had a browser open which doesnt usually make alot of difference. But I had godaddy.com page open in another tab which had lots of flashy stuff going on Smiley I closed ff and all was fine.

I obviously do not have much ram, then all the little things that dont normally cause choppy play will bite ya and you will feel it Cheesy
kr3am
Nub

Cakes 1

Kitty at work

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 08:54:07 PM »

You could try this.
Click Start=>Run, then type msconfig click Ok, Click the start-up tab.
You should see a list of stuff that starts up when your machine boots. None of the stuff in this list is critical to machine function so if u have a lot of stuff in this list then
un-check some or all of the boxes to free up resources. This will help improve the performance of your machine anyway.
XP with sp2 installed likes to have 512mb of ram as min. If 512mb is all u have then u definitely need to edit your start-up list.

~~((-_-))~~ Coz Its a bittersweet symphony ~~((-_-))~~
Mr.Roboto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 05:22:49 AM »

Freed up a lot of space, but still, choppy play. Looks like I'll have to go back to Unreal Tournament...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: