Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone with some coding skills, need advice on updating XQF to include O.A.  (Read 8540 times)
SlippJigg
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: June 20, 2008, 11:32:40 AM »

Hello,
     XQF is a great program (server browser for Linux) but has not been updated in years.  I think a Fork of XQF that also includes the great Free Games  (Open Arena, ioUrban Terror, World of Padman, Alien Arena 2008, etc.).  Since most of these games are q3a or ioq3 based adding them should not be too hard.  I have looked at the XQF source at sourceforge.net SVN repo.  It looks like most of the game information is stored in the trunk/xqf/src/games.c file.  I can probably add Open Arena to this file, but i need someone who can read code better than I can to see if changes are needed elsewhere.

Maybe not a fork of XQF, we can submit a patch that also includes Open Arena by Defualt in the game list, that would rock.

Is anyone interested in helping me accomplish this 'gift ' to the OA community?

XQF is GNU/GPL so the code is free.

Let me know,
SlippJigg

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:48:43 PM »

Just having a quick glance at the game.c

It looks to me as if it should just be a simple case of modifying a few fixed variables & adding in new ones for the specified games above.

Though I've only taken a glance at the code.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:31:25 PM »

XQF is a great program (server browser for Linux) but has not been updated in years.
The fact that it no longer gets updated (which is sad) means you won't be able to get your changes into the official XQF.  It doesn't sound like you want to fork it and maintain that fork (who would?), so it seems any patch will not go anywhere.

XQF is a great program for browsing servers, but it's interface for adding/modifying servers is quite bad and counter-intuitive (that part sure needs some work).
SlippJigg
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »

I would love to do a fork of XQF....I can do my part (ie, Host the website, general planning and orginazation, notifiy all the web about the project.

But it would take  small team to be sucessful..I would need the help of someone who can code c and a artist.  I can host a FTP server also, or try to get a sourcedorge page set up.  I anyone is interested in helping let me know.

SlippJigg
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »

What if someone already done that  but didnt realise it was significant or believed it would interest anyone?

Is that wrong?

CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:31:51 PM by CFQ » Logged

I blanked my posts because I don't like this forum anymore! BAWWWWW
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 12:19:51 PM »

Does that mean that qstat defaults to protocol 68 and you need to specify the protocol - wasnt it a comma after q3s then protocol or something? I have ASE and it only has up to protocol 68 so I was assuming I would have a filter available if I upgraded.

I remember setting stuff in qstat as default, it is kinda confusing as I forget and sometimes wonder how It seems to know the stuff  I like Cheesy
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 09:18:07 PM »

Go to: Preferences -> Games tab -> Quake3Arena (side panel) -> Options tab

You can change the protocol there, it lets you type 69 in the box even though it doesn't appear in the pull-down list.

This is a good example of the non-intuitive interface problem I mentioned before, it's almost a "hidden" option.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: