Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Arena Expanded Beta 50  (Read 570080 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #275 on: September 16, 2011, 08:18:28 PM »

Okay, then I always do strafe jumping (I played with CPM physics only few times in my life), as I ever called what I did.

But if bunny hopping is only possible with mods, then the name of the new dmflag Sago put in VanillaOA is misleading: it should indicate it disables "strafe jumping" instead of "bunny hopping". Sago, can you change its name?

PS: about strafe jumping, this tutorial seems nice:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TOffE5_k2f0&NR=1&feature=fvwp
Do you think we could link it from the Manual\Techniques page?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:22:20 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #276 on: September 17, 2011, 02:05:20 AM »

PS: about strafe jumping, this tutorial seems nice:
youtube.com/watch?v=TOffE5_k2f0&NR=1&feature=fvwp
Do you think we could link it from the Manual\Techniques page?

its ql, physics are similar, but different. so it shouldn't be linked

here is one of the classical beginners guide to tricking in q3
http://www.quakeunity.com/file=2170

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #277 on: September 17, 2011, 04:22:08 AM »

Sago, can you change its name?
It does not have a name except in the code, its just a number. Besides calling it "non-accelerated jumping" would be more correct. Strafejumping is just a side effect of the Q2 physics, Q3's alternative physics was designed to remove any speed exploit in the jumps.

Which method do Quake 3, OA 0.8.5, and OAX B50 (this one with or without the dmflag) use, respectively?
Quake 3, OA 0.8.1 and OAX B50 requires more than 50 percent of all voters to vote yes. Not voting is the same as voting "no".
OA 0.8.5 and OAX B50 (with dmflag) uses the other.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #278 on: September 17, 2011, 06:41:01 AM »

It does not have a name except in the code, its just a number. Besides calling it "non-accelerated jumping" would be more correct. Strafejumping is just a side effect of the Q2 physics, Q3's alternative physics was designed to remove any speed exploit in the jumps.
Do you mean that id software put both Q2-style phisics and a more realistic physics style into quake 3 code, and then decided to keep only the one that allowed more tricks (very good choice, IMHO), completely disabling the other? Did you only re-enabled that hidden code, allowing a method for turning it on?

Another question: does the method used by dmflags to store more "0-1" options inside a single variable, using the properties of binary digits scale, have a specific name? I'd like to see if there is some simple tool that allows to type a decimal value and then breaks down it (e.g. you type 24 and it tells you 16+8).

PS: "Non-accelerated jumping" description could be good.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #279 on: September 17, 2011, 06:44:38 AM »

Do you mean that id software put both Q2-style phisics and a more realistic physics style into quake 3 code, and then decided to keep only the one that allowed more tricks (very good choice, IMHO), completely disabling the other? You you only re-enabled that hidden code, allowing a method for turning it on?
Yes. I guess the code was left there to help mod makers.
Another question: does the method used by dmflags to store more "0-1" options inside a single variable, using the properties of binary digits scale, have a specific name? I'd like to see if there is some simple tool that allows to type a decimal value and then breaks down it (e.g. you type 24 and it tells you 16+8).
bit field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_field)

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #280 on: September 17, 2011, 06:51:47 AM »

Thank you. But I don't get the difference between Bit field and Bit array...

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #281 on: September 17, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »

Thank you. But I don't get the difference between Bit field and Bit array...

Its on the wiki page you linked Smiley

A bit field is distinguished from a bit array in that the latter is used to store a large set of bits indexed by integers and is often wider than any integral type supported by the language. Bit fields, on the other hand, typically fit within a machine word, and the denotation of bits is independent of their numerical index.

So basically a bit field is an integer variable where you address individual bits by logical AND an OR operations, while a bit array is a sequence of integer variables where you addess individual bits by an array index.

Example in C++
Code:
// bit field
short bitfield = 0; // initialize a bit field of 16 bits
bitfield |= 4; // set the 3rd bit by a logical OR
if ( bitfield & 16 ) { ... } // test if the 5th bit is set by a logical AND

// bit array
std::bit_vector bitarray(1024); // initialize a bit array of 1024 bits
bitarray[2] = true; // set the 3rd bit by index (indexes start with 0)
if ( bitarray[4] ) { ... } // test if the 5th bit is set by index

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #282 on: September 18, 2011, 09:16:04 AM »

To clarify about the vote issue,

Here is a FICTIVE scenario with the purpose to illustrate what happens:

- someone calls a vote ...
- some players start voting ... =>
- yes 1 / no 0
- yes 2 / no 0
- yes 2 / no 1 // seems to go normal for now
- yes 1 / no 1 // then some of the value decreases, while no player left (nor went spec)
- yes 0 / no 1 // we sometimes end up with a result being the contrary of what we expected (first tendancy was: 'yes' were going to be the winners)

So nobody gets the logic, it's like every one voted, but nobody understands why vote sums are like near 0.

Todo: Walk the cat.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #283 on: September 18, 2011, 09:21:11 AM »

So that was the problem... that does make a rather large difference.

A vote should not disapear. A vote should only decreased if the player leaves/spectates or changes its vote.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #284 on: September 18, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »

Well, if you will be able to identify and fix the bug, maybe you could make the new voting system default again, and reverse the dmflag to make the old type available again for server admins. But it's your choice.

A question: do dmflags settings work at engine level, or at qvm level? I mean, the new values apply also to old mods or not? I suppose not... but I might guess wrong.
And similar... Does OA 0.8.5 voting style work with baseoa/recent mods only, or with old mods, too?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:10:07 AM by Gig » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #285 on: September 18, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »

Well, if you will be able to identify and fix the bug, maybe you could make the new voting system default again, and reverse the dmflag to make the old type available again for server admins. But it's your choice.

A question: do dmflags settings work at engine level, or a qvm level? I mean, the new values apply also to old mods or not? I suppose not... but I might guess wrong.
And similar... Does OA 0.8.5 voting style work with baseoa/recent mods only, or with old mods, too?
Everything is in the qvm.

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #286 on: October 23, 2011, 01:50:15 PM »

While I'm at it, about the votes:
Some other wrong thing which happens is the "vote message" isn't always displayed, so we don't know what the vote is for.
It's been like this for some very long time (even prior to the new voting system). I don't know what causes this.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #287 on: November 06, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »

Just wondering... is there the time to put in a command to disable chat sound or to hide chat text from a specified player, before 0.8.8? I play online too few to feel a such needing, but I see that now and then people here ask for such features...

Bye!

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #288 on: November 06, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »

It should be as simple as a little 'if' cvar check before the sound builtin, in cgame..... I propose cg_noChatBeep.

Muting a specific player would be harder though

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #289 on: November 07, 2011, 01:11:21 AM »

It should be as simple as a little 'if' cvar check before the sound builtin, in cgame..... I propose cg_noChatBeep.
It's okay for me. I don't know if people would like to apply it only to generic chat, to team chat too or also to all kind of on-screen console notifies... maybe we should ask to some of those users that need the feature (like Peter Sillie...).

Do you think it would take too long to make it support more values?
Example:
0 = Always beep. Default.
1 = Do not beep for generic chat
2 = Do not beep for generic and team chat
3 = Do not beep for generic chat, team chat and other console notifies.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #290 on: November 07, 2011, 02:27:44 AM »

I prefer /mute, but this would already be great.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #291 on: November 07, 2011, 03:19:20 AM »

A question: gc_noChatBeep or s_noChatBeep?

**HD
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #292 on: November 07, 2011, 05:51:14 AM »

If you want to keep compatibility with QuakeLive you should call it cg_chatBeep and cg_teamChatBeep (most former Q3/QL players use their old configs when trying out OA).

Both cvars are already in AS, if someone wants to copy & paste them, here are the diffs:

http://code.google.com/p/oaunofficial/source/detail?r=163

Just ignore the g_allowKill log message, this should have been the log message for the previous revision r162
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:23:42 AM by **HD » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #293 on: November 07, 2011, 06:21:22 AM »

Well, using a single new variable instead of two would be more efficient... but also staying "near" to a mod that many people use sounds right, too... I don't know what would be better.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #294 on: November 08, 2011, 04:12:32 PM »

Sago, Fromhell... what about that muting beep sound, then?

And another thing, I noticed it testing OA 0.8.8 beta 11117 (based upon OAX B50): entering the SYSTEM menu from a clean configuration, resolution is set to 640x480, but the"aspect ratio" line says 5:4 instead of 4:3 for some reason. Could you please take a look? Thank you!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #295 on: November 16, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »

Hi! I took a look to the OAX changelog.
http://code.google.com/p/oax/updates/list
And I noticed that r279 added chat beep variables like AS. Seems good, but why you didn't tell us? Smiley

I also read that r276  "Added dmflag 1024. No self damage (from plasma, rockets, granades and BFG)"... interesting. Reminder: falling damage is controlled by dmflags alien instead.
Question: in case of dmflags and "elimination_selfdamage" with different settings, who "wins"?

PS: I checked about the "5:4" 640x480 (default in clean config) strange thing mentioned in the post above this one: it happens in OA 0.8.5, too. Not a real problem, simply a strange thing!

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #296 on: November 16, 2011, 02:12:38 PM »

And I noticed that r279 added chat beep variables like AS. Seems good, but why you didn't tell us? Smiley
It is not in B50. It is in the 0.8.8 branch though.
I also read that r276  "Added dmflag 1024. No self damage (from plasma, rockets, granades and BFG)"... interesting. Reminder: falling damage is controlled by dmflags alien instead.
Question: in case of dmflags and "elimination_selfdamage" with different settings, who "wins"?
dmflags are stronger. elimination_selfdamage cannot enable selfdamage if dmflags forbids it. 
PS: I checked about the "5:4" 640x480 (default in clean config) strange thing mentioned in the post above this one: it happens in OA 0.8.5, too. Not a real problem, simply a strange thing!
I don't know why I think its because r_mode -1 is not used in a clean config.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #297 on: November 17, 2011, 07:20:06 AM »

In addition to the GLSL zip file in this post, these contain my changes to the renderer

Of note:
- tcpp's bloom cascade
- my bloom reflection
- monolightmaps
- possibility of texturebits 6, 12, and 15 (this cvar is designed for really old hardware, i.e. Voodoo2, RIVA128)
- r_ext_compressed_textures now compresses alpha textures to DXT5 (not thoroughly tested)
- environment map mode and specularity mode (tried a diff calc that still didn't work)

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #298 on: November 17, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »

In addition to the GLSL zip file in this post, these contain my changes to the renderer
I'll create a engine from this later this evening.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #299 on: November 17, 2011, 01:44:17 PM »

The skulls doesn't appear in Harvester. :S
The entire mode is rendered senseless without the skulls.

Tried in many maps, and nothing happened.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: