Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Arena Expanded Beta 50  (Read 570096 times)
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #325 on: August 08, 2013, 05:50:05 AM »

I was wondering as well... does current OA or OAX support .ent files? As in, special support for entity (ammo/weapon/even giving newer gaetype support) modifications to older (made for Q3) maps without altering any file from the PK3 archives of said maps.

How much will break OA to implement this? I know that Darkplaces and Q2 have such support.

That's an addition of maybe 20 lines of code, not sure what you mean by "break OA"?

This space is for rent.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #326 on: August 08, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »

I was talking if it risks any kind of compatibility, thus defeating a main objective of OA.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #327 on: August 08, 2013, 08:26:30 AM »

Uhm... for compatibilty, I can guess that old mods would just continue to show the original items of the map, and not the "patched" ones (they would not read .ent file at all. But continue reading... I have some fears about bots).
This makes me think... Maybe one may also provide a cvar to ignore such .ent patches, and restore original item placement?

A thing I have not understood: would that system work in a way similar to the current "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Entities-only_editing]Entities-only editing" working mode, with the need to perform "q3map2 -onlyents yourmap.ent" and "bspc -reach yourmap.bsp" commands, or not? From what I can guess, your idea is precisely to make the trick work skipping those two recompiling passages? In case at least .aas recompiling would still be required... well this may really be a compatibilty problem with old mods... maybe complete "entities-only editing" procedure may be used instead -well, an alternate idea is at 5)-

However, "risks" that randomly come in my mind could be:
1) How would bots navigate a map where some entities (or theoretically even all of them) are placed differently from their location when the .aas file was created? Well, I can see that bots are already able to grab TA weapons even in maps compiled from not-TA-aware Q3Radiant... but maybe this stuff may be a little different (at least because there was an entity there at the moment of bspc compile, although the editor did not know that entity effects). I'm not enough inside such deep in-game mechanics to tell.

2) The system may bring to have a map's ".bsp" and its ".ent" patch in different pk3 files. Modifying only one of the two ("paring" the wrong versions of them, for whatever reason... e.g. You create the .ent file for OA 0.8.1 am_galmevish, but OA 0.9.0 will have a noticeably reworked am_galmevish... what would happen in that case?) may bring to some problems (e.g. entities placed in the outer void).
2.1) In some way (I don't know how), the game "checks" that an .aas file corresponds with specific .bsp version, right? I mean, if you re-compile a map, you will not be able to add bots at all (although the old .aas file was still there), until you recompile the .aas, too. Is it so? If there is some kind of "build version" or similar reference in .bsp files, maybe the user may identify it, and somehow write it in the .ent file, to "validate" the link between the two files? In that case, the game could ignore the .ent file, if it does not correspond to the .bsp build in use.

3) Are we sure this would be a comfortable way to work? Manually placing entities by specifying their coordinates in a text editor, does not seem very comfortable to me. Ok, if you don't have the .map file, you have not many choices... but is it really so common to modify third-party non-GPL'd maps?

4) Maybe should this be advertised as a "last resort" operative mode only, for maps where the .map file is not available? If the source is available, modifying it would probably a better practice.

5) In case one updated .aas file is required when using the .ent file, I can guess the solution may be to (manually) rename the new .aas file to something similar (.aa2, for example?), and make the game to load that file instead of the original one, in case it is going to use the .ent (if .ent feature is disabled, load .bsp+aas... if .ent feature is enabled, load .bsp+.ent+.aa2). But wait... maybe just making the "complete" entities-only editing procedure would have more sense... Also, I have no idea about how to create the updated bot navigation file without updating the .bsp first.

PS: Vaguely related, I added DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Entities-only_editing&diff=14527&oldid=13420]this tip in the wiki. Is it ok?
PPS: In that page, lights are mentioned as entities. But does modifying lights entities do anything, if you do not compile (e.g. relight) the map with lights option?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:59:08 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #328 on: April 15, 2014, 12:21:07 AM »

Some of my later experimental changes

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #329 on: May 20, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »

Compiling from https://github.com/OpenArena/gamecode.git

Where do I get yacc?

EDIT: Forget it, I haven't installed build-essential and byacc. -.-
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:17:33 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #330 on: June 17, 2016, 11:37:23 AM »

I have created a nightly build for the gamecode:

http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/oa/dev088/gamecode_nightly/

This always features the latest master branch from Github: https://github.com/OpenArena/gamecode

The build machine is this Docker image: https://hub.docker.com/r/sago007/docker_openarena_gamecode_builder/

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #331 on: June 17, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »

Ohhh... great! I hope to find some time to try it in the next few days, because then I will go for some holidays and will be mostly offline. In that case, I will have to test around half of July.

Is there a comfortable changelist to know what to check?

I see a file for the Missionpack, too? I thougt that was abandoned...

Is this OAX B52?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:54:46 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #332 on: June 17, 2016, 03:26:10 PM »

Is there a comfortable changelist to know what to check?
The list here shows most things:
https://github.com/OpenArena/gamecode/commits/master
It does include things like "Updated README".
There was a patch to the vote menu.
The game should also not crash anymore if a player spawn point is missing in the map.

I see a file for the Missionpack, too? I thougt that was abandoned...
I choose to compile it as long as it compiles. If it is missing then it is because the compile was broken.

Is this OAX B52?
Nightly builds are a bit different. Every day GitHub will be checked for new commits and if they exists then a new version will be compiled.
You properly do not want to look at it every day but it is good to know that progress is accessible to everyone that has any interest in it without having to wait for someone to create a B52.

The gamecode does not contain a large amount of changes at the moment but an automatic compile every night makes it easier to follow.

If the leixperimental changes can be merged into gamecode they will now be much easier accessible. 

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #333 on: June 18, 2016, 03:14:26 AM »

I got it. So, everytime you will make some changes, the next day there will be one more file in that folder. In case you did more changes in one day, they all will be in one new file only, right?

Very interesting!
I can guess we should update (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OAX page now. That page also still mentions "svn repository", while it's a "git" repository now...
Also, giving a quick look to the git commits page, I don't see progressive number for revisions anymore. How to mention a specific revision, when talking?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #334 on: June 21, 2016, 04:55:08 AM »

Excuse me Sago, I was trying some features you mentioned here:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1908.msg44498#msg44498
And I noticed one thing (which is the same also in OA 0.8.8, hence it's not related with those new features)...

Is it expected that, after you change gametype, current map rotation script stops working? After changing gametype, I find "nextmap" cvar is set to "map_restart 0" instead of something like "vstr d2". So, a "Callvote Nextmap" then just restarts the current map. Is this a bug?

Update: It looks like also the original Q3 does behave in a similar way. While maybe it may have some sense by implying that different gamemodes need different maps? But how then restart any kind of rotation, then (unless the server having an OA-specific custom vote which would do something like "exec rotscript.cfg")? Well, using the new feature of OAX B51 one may do a specific script executed when entering each gametype, with a different rotation, but...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:03:51 AM by Gig » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #335 on: June 21, 2016, 10:00:26 AM »

The g_autochangemap that is available in 0.8.8 should work even if changing gametype. It should use the rotation of the new gametype. It was designed to "just work".

I got it. So, everytime you will make some changes, the next day there will be one more file in that folder. In case you did more changes in one day, they all will be in one new file only, right?
That is correct.

Very interesting!
I can guess we should update (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OAX page now. That page also still mentions "svn repository", while it's a "git" repository now...
Also, giving a quick look to the git commits page, I don't see progressive number for revisions anymore. How to mention a specific revision, when talking?
It is a problem in git. The individual commits is given a hash like "b767acae0de31968331f9182c6afbab1376954b8" or "b767aca" for short. There is no incrementing revision number, not even after merging into master.
The timestamps cannot be trusted either. They mark the day the code was developed (git commit). NOT the day they where made available (git push). In Subversion commit+push was just called "commit".

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #336 on: June 21, 2016, 10:15:56 AM »

The g_autochangemap that is available in 0.8.8 should work even if changing gametype. It should use the rotation of the new gametype. It was designed to "just work".
You made me remember a thing I wanted to ask you since a long time, when I was making tests for autochangemap files for oacmp volume 1 (v4 IIRC, still unreleased). The question is: does a "duel/tournament/1v1/gametype 1" (call it as you prefer) match ever "end"? When fraglimit is reached, loser is replaced by a spectator, and frag count restarts from 0, in the same map. The only ways to change map are callvoting another map or callvoting nextmap, right? There isn't a "final" winner of the tournament after everyone as fought at least once, right?

It is a problem in git. The individual commits is given a hash like "b767acae0de31968331f9182c6afbab1376954b8" or "b767aca" for short. There is no incrementing revision number, not even after merging into master.
The timestamps cannot be trusted either. They mark the day the code was developed (git commit). NOT the day they where made available (git push). In Subversion commit+push was just called "commit".
Uhm... I don't wanna say it's a serious issue, but however I would consider it at least a medium issue. If almost everyone switched to github in the past years, it must have something really good.... but this lack of human-readable version numbering sounds awkward...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:24:31 AM by Gig » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #337 on: June 21, 2016, 11:11:35 AM »

The only ways to change map are callvoting another map or callvoting nextmap, right? There isn't a "final" winner of the tournament after everyone as fought at least once, right?
I have not played it for years. I thought there was an overall time limit.

Uhm... I don't wanna say it's a serious issue, but however I would consider it at least a medium issue. If almost everyone switched to github in the past years, it must have something really good.... but this lack of human-readable version numbering sounds awkward...
It is one of git's many, many, many weaknesses. It was the reason I originally was reluctant about using git. But now I understand that git has some much more severe weaknesses and massive data loses are common. But I still prefer git to other modern alternatives like Mercurial or Bazaar. Git wins in both speed an popularity.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #338 on: June 21, 2016, 03:02:37 PM »

and massive data loses are common.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I usually don't like smiley-only posts, but in this case, it is my reaction...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #339 on: June 22, 2016, 02:57:00 AM »

I tried to update DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OpenArena_eXpanded]OAX wiki page with the infos due to Github and Nightly Builds as I could (DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=OpenArena_eXpanded&diff=17370&oldid=16945]see diff).
Feel free to correct anything I was wrong.  Smiley

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #340 on: June 22, 2016, 12:18:27 PM »

I usually don't like smiley-only posts, but in this case, it is my reaction...
It is not as bad as it used to be. However if you are used to Subversion you can get some nasty surprises. I have seen first hand how three complete branches got destroyed, just hour after deploying git and worse it took 14 days before anyone noticed. History looked good. But history in git is not trustworthy by default, it can be rewritten.

You can protect it by hooks but it was only recently this option was added to Github (called "Protected branches" in Github).

Feel free to correct anything I was wrong.  Smiley
It is not wrong. At one point the page should properly be simplified. Even I find it intimidating and I written large parts of it.

I need to move compile instructions to git. It is there that information belongs.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #341 on: June 23, 2016, 07:56:36 AM »

I just moved a few lines which talk about the repository from "what is oax?" section to a "where are the sources?" section, to be more easily "skippable" by who's not not interested into such suff.

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=OpenArena_eXpanded&diff=17374&oldid=17373

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #342 on: August 06, 2016, 10:21:01 AM »

Many years ago I talked about adding an .info file: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1908.msg47956#msg47956

I did actually add it a long time ago. Now I have added a couple of things that are actually used.

A "maps/oasago2.info" could look like this:
Code:
auther Sago007
description "After the of the first castle. Sago's second castle was redesigned with multiple layers of defence. After getting past the outer wall the attackers would have little defence. It was hoped that no one would even dare to attack. That turned out to not be the case."
captureLimit 8
maxTeamSize 6
minTeamSize 2
support_dm no
support_team no
support_tourney no
support_ctf yes
support_1fctf yes
support_obelisk yes
support_harvester yes
support_elimination yes
support_ctfelim yes
support_lms no
support_dd yes
support_dom no
support_pos no
gametype 1fctf
captureLimit 5
minPlayers 5
minTeamSize 5
gametype dom
capturelimit 500

Values after "gametype dom" only applies to Domination until it sees another "gametype GAMETYPE" or "gametype *"
Not all values are used at this time. However the "support_GAMETYPE" works. They accept "yes" or "no". If they are defined then they take precedence over the arena files.
The file is limited to 4*1024 bytes.
Unknown keys are ignored, so it is possible to add more.

While the arena-parsing is performed in the UI-layer and cannot expose its values elsewhere the info files are common. Both ui, game and cgame can read the values.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #343 on: August 06, 2016, 02:25:51 PM »

Excuse me, do you mean it may also override arenas.txt, or only .arena files?

PS: I will be away for vacation for about 3 weeks, with only the telephone and no wifi... I will not be able to test anything...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #344 on: August 06, 2016, 02:35:22 PM »

Cool! Like Nexuiz/Xonotic's .mapinfo files.
arenas.txt could very well have the minimal info for compatibility, while the .info files may contain the extended info, then the UI may read these values, isn't it?

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #345 on: August 06, 2016, 03:46:52 PM »

Excuse me, do you mean it may also override arenas.txt, or only .arena files?
It will also override arenas.txt. It is just a special .arena file.

The map must still be mentioned in an arena-file because the maps are still sorted based on the arena files.

I should still stress that only the "support_GAMETYPE yes/no" works at the moment. It has been prioritized to be able to support Possession.

The UI was not the primary focus while I implemented it (the user can still set there own values).
I hope to add something like "g_use_auto_settings" that works like "bot_autominplayers" just for other settings. I primarily need it for the map pool functionality.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #346 on: August 06, 2016, 04:14:46 PM »

I was talking about the OA3 UI which uses the Missionpack UI system, so it should be a straightforward process to take info from the file and display it in the GUI.

BTW, is there a list of accepted variables for the file? I'm interested in implementing this in the different maps we have.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #347 on: August 15, 2016, 11:45:10 AM »

I have added new Beta 52 for people who do not use nightly releases.

It can be found here: https://github.com/OpenArena/gamecode/releases/tag/oaxB52

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #348 on: August 17, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »

Good, so it comes with some easy to read changelog.  Smiley

However, for the changes against B51, I suppose it also contains cg_oldrail 2 & 3, and probably also some other Fromhell's tweaks that I don't know how to enable, right?

Also, maybe the changelog may contain (or link forum posts with) infos about how to actually use the new features (e.g. how to make the script for empty server etc.)...

PS: excuse me, I noticed in the description of this diff https://github.com/OpenArena/gamecode/commit/5e309c9b9dd3e16a1a7c86187e13a23a22bfee52
"targetname is now case sensitive". Is that something only related with the elimination-special doors or what? Because it sounds like something capable of breaking potentially many existing maps...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:01:42 PM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #349 on: August 17, 2016, 04:18:14 PM »

PS: excuse me, I noticed in the description of this diff https://github.com/OpenArena/gamecode/commit/5e309c9b9dd3e16a1a7c86187e13a23a22bfee52
"targetname is now case sensitive". Is that something only related with the elimination-special doors or what? Because it sounds like something capable of breaking potentially many existing maps...
Hmmm, if that's the case, then I share Gig's worry about that. Why the change?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: