Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Arena Expanded Beta 50  (Read 570087 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #475 on: January 23, 2019, 04:30:15 AM »

However, reading your posts suggested me a few other tests to do with those cvars...

I've just done some more testing with g_enablebreath, and it looks like it isn't working as expected.

I started a dedicated server and loaded a map, then I manually set g_enablebreath 1[1] (as it was set to 0 as the map itself didn't have the compation worldspawn key).
Then I launched the client and connected to that server. And it turned out that the client did have g_enablebreath 0, it did not set the variable following its value on the server. I did also try with cg_thirdperson 1 to be sure the effect wasn't shown.

Then I opened NetRadiant and edited a small box map I use for tests, adding "enablebreath" "1" key in worldspawn, and compiled the map, then started the dedicated server and loaded that map (with sv_pure 0): in this case, the game automatically set g_enablebreath 1, as that's supposed to work. Then started a client and connected to that server, but on the client g_enablebreath remained at 0.

If I load the map in "listening server" mode (acting as both client and server at the same time, e.g. launch the game normally), it works for me, but it doesn't work for further clients connecting to me.

To sum up:
- The server actually sets the cvar according to the worldspawn key at map load time, as expected.
- The client does not set the cvar, ignoring both the worldspawn key in the map and the server setting. And this is not as expected.

I don't know if the problem is openarena-specific or the feature already had the problem back in TA.

[1] The variable didn't look like existing before I loaded a map the first time, but that's an usual behavior of the game for various cvars (I can guess some parts of gamecode aren't executed before you load a map for the first time).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #476 on: January 29, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »

Premise: user "needmorecoffe" on Discord pointed out that the current way gametypes and mods are shown in the server browser may be confusing for players. In the server browser there is a column which shows the gametype for servers which run baseoa, and the mod name for servers which run a mod.
I told him that I don't know how it works exactly, but probably there is a technical reason like baseoa gamecode cannot know the name of the gametypes in the mods (as each mod may have a different gametype under the same g_gametype number)...
NeonKnight added that such strings are hardcoded in code/q3_ui/ui_servers2.c (for regular Q3 UI) and code/ui/ui_main.c (for MP/OA3 UI)...

The premise was just to explain that so I gave a look to that ui_servers2.c file... and noticed a typo: there is a "Poseession" (instead of "Possession") in the "static const char *servertype_items[] = {" section. And actually that typo appears in the gametype filter field in OAX.

Furthermore, I see that in the "static char* gamenames[] = {" section, "Possession" isn't mentioned. I don't know how that part works exactly, but maybe it contains the gametype descriptions shown in the column mentioned earlier[1]... maybe it was needed also there?[2]

[1] I don't know how to test what's shown in that field in case of Possession, as testing any gametype in OAX mod simply reports "oax" in that column (as expected considering what said in the premise above).

[2] I have no idea about how it does use those "Q3F, Urban Terror, OSP" lines under Domination, so I don't know whether inserting something in the middle of the list may cause some kind of problem.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:50:05 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #477 on: January 29, 2019, 11:01:24 AM »

Trivial thing. Also 1FCTF, Harvester and Overload are missing in some sections, so those should be added back. I'll try to do that today.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #478 on: January 29, 2019, 05:03:49 PM »

Changes sent.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #479 on: January 30, 2019, 02:52:41 AM »

Changes sent.
Good, thanks!  Smiley
Although, looking at the commit (pull request not yet merged, at the time of this writing), I just noticed the comment of this line (which is not a line you edited):
Code:
"Domination", // Dom replaces Rocket Arena 3
I'm wondering about the reason for that...
The original file from Q3A is here
https://github.com/id-Software/Quake-III-Arena/blob/master/code/q3_ui/ui_servers2.c
and despite OpenArena having more additional gametypes (Elim, ECTF, LMS, Double Dom), it looks like Dom is the only one which  "replaced" an existing mod description.
I really have no idea about how that stuff works...

I hope there is nothing to be worried... but maybe altering the order of the values may case problem?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 03:40:36 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
  Print  

Jump to: