Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Binaries for 0.8.x test thread  (Read 420867 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »

So, I'm going trying to contact him, then.

I see he's from Italy, like me. I hope he still uses the email address shown in his profile (shown as msn address... but I don't use msn, so I will try sending a classic mail to that address).

UPDATE: My mail did not pass... It returned with a #5.4.6 error.   Embarrassed

I PM'd him, too... but I fear he will not see the PM (he was last active in april).

To who could we ask for Mac compiling, then?  Huh
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:46:59 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2011, 05:12:23 PM »

Version 25 tried.
Bloom fix has got something strange, it does not work as expected. Sad

First, I tried enabling Bloom keeping texture quality to "16 bits" or to "default". In this case, bloom does not get enabled at all.
(Note: Fromhell said here that (s)he disabled bloom as a workaround for another bug -semitransparent square in lower left corner- that happened in case of 16 bit textures... but the bug did not happen in case of "default", to me). A console message says WARNING: 'R_InitBloomTextures' no support for 32 bit textures, effect disabled. No support for 32 bit textures? I suppose it should be "no support for 16 bit textures"...

Enabling bloom with 32 bit textures, instead, makes a strange behavior. Instead of the old "bleeding" effect, now there is a "bright" effect on a major part the screen. I don't know how to describe it exactly. See the screenshots attached, or better try it yourself (quite clear in slimefac map).

Recap:
- Why effect disabled also in case of "default" texture quality, instead of 16 bits only? (More: if there is no time for a real fix for the "square" bug, maybe it would better to keep it for now, and fix it later in a more proper way, instead of disabling the effect? I don't know..)
- Message says "32bit" instead of "16 bit"
- If bloom is enabled, there are strange flashes on the screen... Fromhell, could you plase take another look to it? Thank you!

PS: jackoverfull already answered to my PM! He's going to take a look here. Good!  Smiley

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2011, 05:18:34 PM »

Hi everyone… Grin

Gig just reached me through pms…Yes, it's true I haven't been much active here recently (in the last couple of years, actually!), I can't even remember what went on with OA 085, the last time I built something for OA was 085rc1.

I don't play much these days (not enough time), but I'm more than willing to setup my building machine and try to provide binaries for the new release. How do i proceed? I'll start with 25 and see if those build, but those will not be the final release, right?
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »

+1
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »

Recap:
- Why effect disabled also in case of "default" texture quality, instead of 16 bits only? (More: if there is no time for a real fix for the "square" bug, maybe it would better to keep it for now, and fix it later in a more proper way, instead of disabling the effect? I don't know..)
- Message says "32bit" instead of "16 bit"
- If bloom is enabled, there are strange flashes on the screen... Fromhell, could you plase take another look to it? Thank you!

1. because when at default, there's no guarantee we'll have a 32-bit texture for the bloom canvas
2. it's referring to the renderer's lack of 32-bit, not itself
3. weird, i never get them. I use samplesize 512, bloom looks okay there.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2011, 05:52:34 PM »

Gig, have you tried with r_bloom_cascade = 0 and r_bloom_reflections = 0?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #181 on: December 01, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »

Considering 1) and 2)... maybe the user may not understand what happens. Maybe it would be better to keep the "square" bug until a real fix is found... what do you think about it?

About 3).. how can I help debugging it?
First test (as in the screenshots in the previous post), with a config I was using since some days (while testing 088 betas/RC), its settings are:
seta r_bloom_cascade "1"
seta r_bloom_cascade_blur ".4"
seta r_bloom_cascade_intensity "20"
seta r_bloom_cascade_alpha "0.15"
seta r_bloom_cascade_dry "0.8"
seta r_bloom_dry "1"
seta r_bloom_reflection "0"
seta r_bloom_sky_only "0"
seta r_bloom_fast_sample "0"
seta r_bloom_sample_size "128"
seta r_bloom_darken "4"
seta r_bloom_intensity "1.3"
seta r_bloom_diamond_size "8"
seta r_bloom_alpha "0.3"
seta r_bloom "1"

Second test, using a completely new q3config.cfg, then only setting 32 bit textures and bloom on:
seta r_bloom_sky_only "0"
seta r_bloom_reflection "0"
seta r_bloom_dry "1"
seta r_bloom_cascade_dry "0.8"
seta r_bloom_cascade_alpha "0.15"
seta r_bloom_cascade_intensity "20"
seta r_bloom_cascade_blur ".4"
seta r_bloom_cascade "1"
seta r_bloom_fast_sample "0"
seta r_bloom_sample_size "256"
seta r_bloom_darken "4"
seta r_bloom_intensity "1.3"
seta r_bloom_diamond_size "8"
seta r_bloom_alpha "0.3"
seta r_bloom "1"

NOTE: I may be wrong, but I think I never tweaked such advanced bloom variables before, I don't know why some of them differ between the two configs! Maybe 088 betas or newer executables changed some defaults?

With the "second test" configuration, the problem is much less evident (but it still exists)

I attach extracts of console dumps of the two tests (parts about graphic init).

I did a third test, taking the config from the first one and then setting r_bloom_sample_size "512": after the vid_Restart, I got a "WARNING: 'R_InitBloomTextures' too high resolution for light bloom, effect disabled" message.

UPDATE: Setting r_bloom_cascade to 0 (default value is 1), as Neon suggested, seems to fix the problem. What do you think about it?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:07:20 PM by Gig » Logged

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #182 on: December 01, 2011, 06:32:39 PM »

I've prepared a build enviroment, 0.8.1 builds fine (it was already there, used just to test everything was allright), version 25 doesnt at this time.

I've solved a first problem: in vm_powerpc_asm.c definitions founds in q_shared.h are referenced but that file is not included. However I'm now getting this:

Code:
DED_CC code/zlib/inftrees.c
DED_CC code/zlib/zutil.c
DED_CC code/qcommon/vm_powerpc.c
DED_CC code/qcommon/vm_powerpc_asm.c
DED_CC code/sys/sys_unix.c
DED_CC code/sys/con_tty.c
LD build/release-darwin-ppc/oa_ded.ppc
Undefined symbols:
  "_Sys_StripAppBundle", referenced from:
      _main in sys_main.o
  "_Sys_TempPath", referenced from:
      _Sys_WritePIDFile in sys_main.o
      _main in sys_main.o
      _Sys_Quit in sys_main.o
      _Sys_ParseArgs in sys_main.o
      _Sys_SigHandler in sys_main.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [build/release-darwin-ppc/oa_ded.ppc] Error 1
make[1]: *** [targets] Error 2
make: *** [release] Error 2
MiniServer:openarena-engine-source-0.8.x-25 jack$
That should be one of the very final steps of the build, actually, if I understands this correctly, the build should be already finished and it's a linking problem. Any hint?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #183 on: December 01, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »

I did a third test, taking the config from the first one and then setting r_bloom_sample_size "512": after the vid_Restart, I got a "WARNING: 'R_InitBloomTextures' too high resolution for light bloom, effect disabled" message.

Are you running a Voodoo<5?

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #184 on: December 01, 2011, 07:48:43 PM »

it seems sys_osx.m isn't properly built. Also, I see that on the makefile it's referred with an older name (sys_cocoa.m), but fixing that doesn't change a thing.

In previous releases of OA this file didn't exist, os x used sys_unix.c
Also, why the .m extension? Is that really objective-c code? I positive, why? It's the only .m file out there…
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #185 on: December 01, 2011, 11:40:39 PM »

I like this engine

So, should I wait for jack to make a mac engine binary or release Windows/Linux 088 patch in the meanwhile?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2011, 01:47:01 AM »

Are you running a Voodoo<5?

From the dump I attached to the previous post (and that nobody downloaded yet  Grin):
GL_RENDERER: Radeon X1600/X1650 Series

(It's a 512 MB card)

Anyway... I really suggest to wait for the updated Mac executable before releasing 0.8.8.

PS: Have you tried with the default configuration+Bloom? Does the problem happen to you? In that case, is remembers a bit the "bleeding" effect.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 02:50:25 AM by Gig » Logged

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2011, 02:05:57 AM »

there will be no mac binary release, unless I manade go build it…or someone else, does, of course.

and right now this doesn't seem likely, given the status of the mac code (i wonder who did these changes and why…are they specific to oa or to ioq3 as well?).

Trying again…
Sys_TempPath is defined (always for os x) both in sys_osx and in sys_unix…in a different way.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2011, 02:51:50 AM »

got around that problem using a modified makefile, based on the latest one from ioq3. Got this now, tough: http://pastebin.com/JyMR28Pi
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2011, 04:22:17 AM »

same kind of problem as before: tr_localis not being build.  Angry
Trying to solve this…
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2011, 06:38:17 AM »

So, should I wait for jack to make a mac engine binary or release Windows/Linux 088 patch in the meanwhile?

Wait till he made it.
After his success, the mac port should be more controlled in the future (jack: will you be here to manage oax changes).
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2011, 07:07:01 AM »

I've always been available.

Communication with the rest of the team, tough, has never been too direct, I remember chasing fromhell on msn to get sources to build 0.7.7…
And if 0.8.5 doesn't have mac binaries is probably because i didn't even know it had been released. Nobody contacted me about that and I haven't had time to follow the forum (or, basically, do anything else than follow a very specific, completely unrelated project) since april) to see what was going on.

I do have some spare time in these days, so I'll be trying to build 0.8.alien but the mac specific code isn't exactly ready to build and I'm not exactly a programmer, so I can offer no guarantee.

Anyway, at this point latest svn ioq3 builds, oa 0.8.8 25 doesn't, in a few hours I'll resume working on that, trying to find the reasons and to get it to build.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2011, 01:17:16 PM »

To everyone: could you please try this in your systems?
1) rename your q3config.cfg file, to start OpenArena with a completely new one.
2) Start OpenArena 0.8.8 RC1 with version 25 executables
3) Go to Setup -> System -> Graphics. Enable Bloom and set texture quality to 32 bit, there
4) type /map slimefac
5) Go around the map, in particular where there is much "bloom" effect. Do you see stange things appearing on the edges of the screen?

It resembles the old "bleeding" effect, but more unfocused...

I attached an example screenshot (but seeing it in action is much more evident than in the screenshot!).

PS: If the problem is caused by r_bloom_cascade... maybe its default value should be changed from 1 to 0 for the release? Just guessing...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:41:54 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2011, 01:35:43 PM »

Tested, and yep, it happens with r_bloom_cascade 1.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #194 on: December 02, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »

discovered sdl_glimp doesn't build as well.

i ran a diff with the latest rc of 0.8.5 that was on my hd, it still builds fine, but still can't find what's wrong with 25. As for now I don't have many ideas left.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #195 on: December 02, 2011, 06:42:54 PM »

Maybe you could try starting compiling earlier versions (e.g. 16, 18, etc.), searching for the first one you cannot compile and then searching in its diffs (maybe with some help from Sago), to try to understand what it does not like?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #196 on: December 02, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »

just don't diff with 23 since that's a new ioq3 revision without the oa changes necessary. Forget 23 existed.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2011, 12:43:30 AM »

That bloom bug oddly only happens in fullscreen mode. It goes away in windowed.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2011, 02:49:41 AM »

Just for curiosity, I tested a previous version of the executables, where there was the "old bleeding bug". That bug did not disappear turning off r_bloom_cascade, unlike what happens with the new bug.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2011, 03:23:23 AM »

the only other clamping mode I could try is GL_CLAMP which would make it bleed to black

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: