Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Binaries for 0.8.x test thread  (Read 420881 times)
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2011, 09:00:36 AM »

Just attempted to run.  Was this meant to be a patch, it's failing to find default.cfg and crashing?

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2011, 09:01:56 AM »

Just attempted to run.  Was this meant to be a patch, it's failing to find default.cfg and crashing?
odd…have you placed it next to a baseoa folder? I used the 0.8.5 version.
Tiny
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #227 on: December 09, 2011, 12:50:51 PM »

I got somehow a macbook and an iMac, and petersillie told me a mac user was needed for some test, if i can help i'll gladly do it, just tell me what i have to do lol

Fear the Tiny's fire!! ( or bring some water! )
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »

Copying the baseoa folder from my 0.8.5 copy fixed it.  I had the impression there's a touch more jitter on rendering walls, but it worked well for me.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #229 on: December 09, 2011, 04:44:52 PM »

Don't forget the 088 patch RC1 for the GLSL files the engine now depends on.

I do want to release it today, but we have another roadblock....... I'm sick!!

However some of my sick day could lead to some time for mac testing.

- Make sure OGG vorbis works
- Make sure CURL works
- Make sure VOIP works

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2011, 04:54:40 PM »

I got somehow a macbook and an iMac, and petersillie told me a mac user was needed for some test, if i can help i'll gladly do it, just tell me what i have to do lol
You just need to download openarena 0.8.1, perhaps apply the 0.8.5 patch (tough, if I understood correctly, isn't really needed in order to test this build), download and open the Mac OS X Binary, place the application next to the baseoa folder, open it and…well, test it for a while.

Copying the baseoa folder from my 0.8.5 copy fixed it. 
Smiley

I had the impression there's a touch more jitter on rendering walls, but it worked well for me.
Perhaps…No idea, haven't had time to play in ages. Rest In PEACE!

- Make sure OGG vorbis works
First (and almost onl) thing I tested. Sounds fine on my macbook pro. Should be ok on ppc, but i don't have the hardware to try at the moment.

- Make sure CURL works
Is used to download additional maps? How do we test it?

- Make sure VOIP works
Never tested this on mac…As before, there is a quick way to check?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #231 on: December 09, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »

Testing voip? I suppose setting up voip, connecting from a computer to the other one and then testing by using microphone and speakers.

Voip instructions here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Voip
(note: maybe such instructions may need some polishing -e.g. I'm not sure about bandwidth requirements for client and server- if somebody wants to help...)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #232 on: December 09, 2011, 06:01:39 PM »

Do you mean engine 25 is no more fully compatible with 081/085, but with 088 only? What problems may affect 081//085 users?

Ps: tcpp has not visited the forum yet since 5 december (since just an hour before I wrote him the PM about cascade bloom bug, or similar!). D'oh! D'oh! D'oh!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #233 on: December 10, 2011, 01:19:17 AM »

Testing voip? I suppose setting up voip, connecting from a computer to the other one and then testing by using microphone and speakers.

Voip instructions here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Voip
(note: maybe such instructions may need some polishing -e.g. I'm not sure about bandwidth requirements for client and server- if somebody wants to help...)
Will see what i can do.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #234 on: December 10, 2011, 01:54:53 AM »

tested voip, all works fine. Smiley

Setted it up, launched 2 instances of OA (I don't have a second OA capable computer available at this time) started and joined a game…I can hear myself speaking.

Now, what about curl?

I'm up early and have more or less 1 hour free… Grin
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #235 on: December 10, 2011, 01:58:55 AM »

Accessing to my old iBook G4 (now my mother's), the firt mac that ever ran OA, back at the times of 0.5.1, to do some PPC testing… Smiley
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #236 on: December 10, 2011, 02:38:14 AM »

OA runs on my G4 (of the second generation, still untested on older G4, wich had a slightly different instruction set) with 10.5 Leopard. Can connect to my MBP without problems.

OpenAl doesn't work there, tough, even if it is installed (probably in an older version), the console says it's rendering the audio in software.
Oddly, I can't even hear myself speaking from the other computer: when I try I get briefly a "connection interrupted" message on the screen of the iBook.

And the console is now displayed properly even using the ingame key to toggle it!  Shocked
Tiny
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #237 on: December 10, 2011, 02:54:24 AM »

Seems i can't load the game, i got an error message telling me that it can't load the default cfg Lips Sealed

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #238 on: December 10, 2011, 02:57:57 AM »

You need to put the application in the same folder of baseoa, otherwise you'll just get this…

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #239 on: December 10, 2011, 04:38:11 AM »

About cascade bloom bug:
tcpp answered to my email...
Quote from: tcpp
Hi.

I'm glad to see my cascaded bloom algorithm was accepted for the next release of
OpenArena, but I'm sorry that I cannot deal with this bug now because I don't have
access to any PC that is usable for the development until March or April.

But I don't think it is good to leave this bug in OA 0.8.alien so could you remove or
disable the cascaded bloom algorithm?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 05:05:30 AM by Gig » Logged

Tiny
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #240 on: December 10, 2011, 05:33:27 AM »

You need to put the application in the same folder of baseoa, otherwise you'll just get this…
Lol indeed, my fault, as i read " put it next to the baseoa folder " i didn't put it inside ^^

Edit: tested a bit, and i didn't see anything going wrong, just one thing, when i want to open the console, i gotta press twice the button, same to close it, dunno if that's a bug or not.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #241 on: December 10, 2011, 03:29:57 PM »

Is it not a little dangerous to make the engine depend on a new pack-file without boosting the protocol number?

What if the 0.8.8 patch is unloaded to join a 0.8.1 or 0.8.5 server?
What if the patch is downloaded to an old binary?

There are nothing offending in my posts.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #242 on: December 10, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »

Lol indeed, my fault, as i read " put it next to the baseoa folder " i didn't put it inside ^^

Edit: tested a bit, and i didn't see anything going wrong,
Smiley

just one thing, when i want to open the console, i gotta press twice the button, same to close it, dunno if that's a bug or not.
I must confirm that the console toggles operates oddly…
With my usual keyboard layout I can toggle it typing ~, ingame I can also use <, that was the key i mapped long ago, but once it's open < doesn't close it.
Interestingly, using the USA layout ~doesnt work anymore, yet `, which is on the same phisical key that holds < using the italian layout, always works, even in the menu, as ~ did before. Also, with the USA layout -not using the two altervatives of the italian one - the console sometimes doesn't open fully (it stays only about half out). could depend also on how long I hold the key, perhaps.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #243 on: December 10, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »

Also, with the USA layout -not using the two altervatives of the italian one - the console sometimes doesn't open fully (it stays only about half out). could depend also on how long I hold the key, perhaps.

There's a variable for that: cl_consoleHeight determines how much the console comes down, the default value is 0.5 so it only comes down half the screen. If you set it to 1 it will fully open.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #244 on: December 10, 2011, 04:16:28 PM »

Also, with the USA layout -not using the two altervatives of the italian one - the console sometimes doesn't open fully (it stays only about half out). could depend also on how long I hold the key, perhaps.

There's a variable for that: cl_consoleHeight determines how much the console comes down, the default value is 0.5 so it only comes down half the screen. If you set it to 1 it will fully open.
right.

The point is that when I press the key some times it comes down a quarter of the screen, some others half (that's the usual size), apparently random and only with the USA layout.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #245 on: December 10, 2011, 06:36:59 PM »

Is it not a little dangerous to make the engine depend on a new pack-file without boosting the protocol number?

Should've mentioned a protocol change earlier. :/

build 26 would just have that, and r_bloom_cascade default to 0.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #246 on: December 10, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »

Wait... GLSL is the only thing which makes the engine to depend on a compatibility break to work? If that's the case, what about not including GLSL by now? You don't want to break compatibility with 0.8.X until 0.9.0, do you?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #247 on: December 10, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »

Wait... GLSL is the only thing which makes the engine to depend on a compatibility break to work? If that's the case, what about not including GLSL by now? You don't want to break compatibility with 0.8.X until 0.9.0, do you?

I thought everyone knew about the GLSL pak file requirement (after all there was testing, right?).... now you don't want GLSL support?

Ugh. If we keep doing these last-minute retractions, then 088 will never be released.

It's too late. We have GLSL integrated. It's easier said than done to UNintegrate it. Not to mention the sheer difficulty of reintegrating all of our changes in later ioq3 revisions in the future......

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #248 on: December 10, 2011, 08:07:49 PM »

I'm not a programmer, so I was ignorant about GLSL requiring a compatibility break change.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2011, 03:58:15 AM »

I was aware of the problem but did not register that the GLSL was used anywhere in pak6-patch088-111119.pk3. I thought is was included for future use.

I did not notice any problems joining a 0.8.1 or 0.8.5 server with -25 binaries. Is it possible that the 0.8.8 patch are only required during loading?

Also I did not notice a problem stating 0.8.8 with old binaries.

I did notice a problem starting 0.8.1 with -25 binaries. But the file will always be present during initial load because it will be distributed whit the engine.

Where can I see something breaking in 0.8.8 without the -25 binary. That is really the case I am most interested in.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: