Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An idea  (Read 13664 times)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« on: November 19, 2006, 05:46:15 PM »

I was playing around with some of the responses with the chat files in the bot code when it hit me, rather than having the bots respond with rhetoric when a player types in a racial epithet (or any bigoted statement for that matter) wouldn't it be cool if the bots response was an increase in skill level to Nightmare?  (Basically the bot reloads its skill level in the middle of a match)

This should be possible without reworking botlib or  effecting normal game play (unless you like typing racial epithets for the sake of it).  Some feedback on this or other ideas would be nice.

Smithamax
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 11:31:06 PM »

as long as it was only for single player i guess, or in multi player  they all gang up on the person who said it
that would be cool

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 10:14:50 PM »

Hmm... the way I'm looking at that problem in multiplayer there wouldn't be a noticeable difference (It would basically be raising the vindictive characteristic of the bots to 1 which is very close to what they are now Sad )

Plus there is that whole freedom of speech thing that I feel like I'd be violating if I specifically targeted a group of gamers (no matter how much I disagree with them or how ignorant I feel they are).  I may just have the bots use very strong rhetoric and vicious insults to convey my dislike of bigotry Smiley

Jeric Hikari
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Skeletal Geek

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 01:05:55 AM »

While harder to code I'd personally love to see bots dogpile the guy slinging insults around. I'm all for freedom of speech, but that also includes dealing with the repercussions of your speech when you...say...start insulting a person's race/sexuality/gender.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 03:54:59 AM »

I kinda like the way I handled it, its not as cool as the original idea but does punish the bigots for being bigoted.

Spontaneously exploding teams of bots are pretty cool any way you look at it.

Ferk
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 07:38:06 AM »

If something like that was done I think it could rather be a "programmable" feature on each bot, so each one has its own personality and a different level of "vengance", different moods or something like that, so that they were more customizable and unique.

The compatibility with Id original bots has been already broken anyway.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 07:40:08 AM by Ferk » Logged

sorry for my english
Jeric Hikari
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Skeletal Geek

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 07:59:46 AM »

So this is something unique to OA in that you can't port it over to QA or that QA bots won't work here?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 08:41:40 AM »

While harder to code I'd personally love to see bots dogpile the guy slinging insults around. I'm all for freedom of speech, but that also includes dealing with the repercussions of your speech when you...say...start insulting a person's race/sexuality/gender.

That'd be kinda hard to make the bots "recognize" it actually. It's weird enough playing as Kyonshi getting threatened to have my testicles ripped off. (wtf)

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 01:31:28 PM »

She's a hermaphroditic, chi-drinking witch Wink  Actually that is more my fault for not writing gender neutral curses.

So this is something unique to OA in that you can't port it over to QA or that QA bots won't work here?

As far as I know it is a unique feature, at least I haven't played a game where bigots are conditioned to not be bigots in public. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: