Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Permission denied?  (Read 9117 times)
rivitingone
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« on: July 27, 2008, 03:22:19 AM »

Alright, new to linux, running ubuntu 8.04. I've installed the "giant " 280M game and also downloaded the 1.7.7 patch from http://openarena.ws/files.html. I've extracted the .zip to a separate folder. I've found the .pk3 file and also found the game folder where the other .pk3 files are stored. Here's where I have a problem. I get the following error when I try to copy the new .pk3 to the directory containing the old ones.

zip I/O error: Permission denied

zip error: Could not create output file (/usr/share/games/openarena/baseoa/pak7-patch.pk3)

I am unfamiliar with permissions in linux so I am unsure if it means my account does not have the proper authority (I only have this one account setup so I should be the equivalent of whatever passes for admin in linux, root maybe?) or if the file is inaccessible because perhaps a system resource is accessing it? (I've looked at the processes with the system monitor and I can't find anything) or maybe there is something I don't understand about the file format. I've tried unpacking the .pk3 itself and copying the contents over that way as well with no luck. In fact, I can't in no way modify/delete/affect the contents of the original (nonpatch) .pk3 file in any way that I am aware of.

I've done all these steps using info gleaned from the different bits and pieces of forum threads but have reached a dead end. Any help would be appreciated.

Btw, the reason I started looking into this whole thing is because I get the following error when I try to connect to multiplayer games. (Assumed to be because of mismatched versions)

Client/Server game mismatch:   BaseOA-1/BaseQ3-1
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 03:43:25 AM »

Try adding 'sudo' before the command
don't forget to chmod u+x on the files so you can access them.
and make sure you don't execute the binary with sudo

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 04:14:35 AM »

You cannot patch a version installed from apt/synaptic. Don't do it!

Debian/Ubuntu uses custom binaries to separate platform independent from platform specific files.

If you don't want to download all the files again:
Extract the patch to a folder of your choice (ie. in your home folder)
Copy pak0 to pak6 from the 0.7.6 installation
Uninstall the version from apt
Run using the openarena.* binary

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: