Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.8.0.1  (Read 14507 times)
nman64
Nub

Cakes 0

SysAdmin @ cat-man-du

« on: August 11, 2008, 11:22:54 PM »

Other than the updated ioquake3 source that sago007 has put together[1], are there any other changes that would need to go into a hotfix for 0.8.0?

I have already generated a separate patch[2] and have used that to put together a Fedora RPM spec[3], but if there will be a hotfix for 0.8.0, I do not want to waste my time or Michal's (the Fedora OpenArena package maintainer) getting this release committed to the Fedora repository without it.

[1] http://brie.ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/oa/dev080/ioquake3serverFix.tar.bz2
[2] http://nman64.fedorapeople.org/openarena/ioquake3-serverfix.patch
[3] http://nman64.fedorapeople.org/openarena/openarena.spec
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 01:03:53 AM »

So far there are no more bug report that affects the binaries and it will take some time before there are corrected enough bugs to make a 0.8.1 release.

I do want to rename some of the files before they make it into the rep. One should be aware that serverfix package does not contain game any logic and the name should really show this.

If I was a package maintainer I would not hold back.

But I'm wondering exactly what this does:
Code:
if [[ "\$0" =~ "ded" ]]; then
    exec %{_bindir}/%{name}_ded.bin +set dedicated 1 +set fs_homepath \$HOME/.openarena\
    +set fs_game baseoa +set cl_master dpmaster.deathmask.net "\$@"
else
    exec %{_bindir}/%{name}.bin +set fs_game baseoa +set fs_homepath \$HOME/.openarena\
    +set cl_master dpmaster.deathmask.net "\$@"
fi

Wouldn't it be better to use "+set dedicated 2" and and "+set sv_master dpmaster.deathmask.net"

There are nothing offending in my posts.
CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 08:00:34 AM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:13:07 PM by CFQ » Logged

I blanked my posts because I don't like this forum anymore! BAWWWWW
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:51:17 AM »

For the baseoa/baseq3 mismatch problem there's (maybe) a simple solution :

Actually I would like to stop delivering the engine and vm source in the same tar ball. The serverfix tar-file represent this as it only contains the updated engine source.

They are kept separate during development and merging them is always annoying because of the overlaps in qcommon.

Package maintainers only want the engine source and mod developers only want the vm source.

This might hurt people who want to generate so/dll/dynlib files (I don't know if the need the engine they have to work with to be present) but they have not been supported anyway for quite some time (they don't work on pure server and they may use different physics)

CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 11:40:16 AM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:13:21 PM by CFQ » Logged

I blanked my posts because I don't like this forum anymore! BAWWWWW
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »

But both tarballs will be available ?

Yes

nman64
Nub

Cakes 0

SysAdmin @ cat-man-du

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 02:53:36 PM »

But I'm wondering exactly what this does:
Code:
if [[ "\$0" =~ "ded" ]]; then
    exec %{_bindir}/%{name}_ded.bin +set dedicated 1 +set fs_homepath \$HOME/.openarena\
    +set fs_game baseoa +set cl_master dpmaster.deathmask.net "\$@"
else
    exec %{_bindir}/%{name}.bin +set fs_game baseoa +set fs_homepath \$HOME/.openarena\
    +set cl_master dpmaster.deathmask.net "\$@"
fi

Wouldn't it be better to use "+set dedicated 2" and and "+set sv_master dpmaster.deathmask.net"

The idea is to *not* publish the server's presence without the user explicitly setting "dedicated 2" and knowingly making that decision.  This wrapper script really should not do anything that the user would not expect and should stick very closely to the documented behavior of launching the binary directly.  Some of the options in this script are redundant, as they are inherited from Fedora's model of distributing a single "quake3" package compiled from the ioquake3 source and assorted data packages for various content-only games.

We hope someone that wants to operate a server will know how to reference the binary directly in their scripts or launch the wrapper like so:
Code:
openarena_ded +set dedicated 2 +set sv_master dpmaster.deathmask.net ...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: