Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to donate money to the project?  (Read 23285 times)
Reuti
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 15, 2008, 05:32:38 AM »

In the READMEs of 0.8.0 it's stated that they have $0 budget - well, I would like to donate some money. But how to do so and to whom?

-- Reuti
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 10:51:34 AM »

Well, actually there is no donate button, but there is one on ioq... err,
Keep it and contribute in other ways ? Tongue (From what I understood you built 0.8 for mac ? Not sure you've seen , some would be grateful if you can help Wink
Of course my answer has nothing official ...

Todo: Walk the cat.
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 02:36:21 AM »

oh... please don't donate to ioq... It just makes them ruin the gameplay more. They code something, test it 10 minutes(?) and call it great. But well that is what happens when there is no real player in the development team.
woekele
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 03:40:18 AM »

oh... please don't donate to ioq... It just makes them ruin the gameplay more. They code something, test it 10 minutes(?) and call it great. But well that is what happens when there is no real player in the development team.

I'm not on the ioq3 team, but I've done a great deal of testing and directly communicating/reporting back to Timbo, who would then come up with new test builds very quickly. He has put a great deal of time and effort into solving the input problem with SDL. And I think with latest builds everything works just as well (or even better, cause of mouse4 and mouse5 support) as original IDsoftware quake3 arena. No more sluggish input.

It seems some people here rather just yell and blaim at ioq3 devs instead of actually trying to help them solve the problem. They do their work for free and GPL it. So anyone is free to fix any problems there are in the code base or revert any unwanted changes. It makes no sense at all to point fingers at them.
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 04:22:10 AM »

They are required to do it under GPL Because Quake3 source code is GPL. They are working for free because no one would pay for what they do. Of course I will point my finger at them as they act like they are the official maintainers of the quake 3 engine.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:34:44 AM by f0rqu3 » Logged
woekele
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 04:50:14 AM »

Everybody is free to maintain it as they like, so any decision they make can be re-verted by anyone else. Nobody forces you or OA to use ioq3 if they don't like it. Anyway, this is off-topic in this thread. So I'll stop discussing it Smiley
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 05:42:12 AM »

well said. But no need to state the obvious. Of course you shouldn't use ioquake3 for your project. They keep breaking quake 3.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 06:43:03 AM »

That was a joke, not a way to start a troll.

They do their work for free and GPL it. So anyone is free to fix any problems there are in the code base or revert any unwanted changes. It makes no sense at all to point fingers at them.
I totally agree with that, it's better to keep in mind what free projects are and what "free" means, free to fix it or free to fork it.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 08:04:42 AM »

Seeing as I use Free tools to develop in my spare time, I can't see how money would bring me more spare time. In some cases it's no real benefit at all.

The web host (fuzztooth) could use the money donations more than me though, since it obviously costs money to run a server and maintain a domain especially for a 2.5gb+ site about one game (well the same server hosts a lot of other stuff actually but OA is the biggest hog of it). I certainly wouldn't mind him placing a Paypal donate button on the site for himself, since he's hosting me for free anyway

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:17:08 AM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »

Why not give donators a special colored name and an area to preview, sample some of the latest stuff, perhaps even have their name listed somewhere in the game menu.  10-20 usd sounds a fair deal. Get some redundancy for the forum, any excess use it to host servers or dev use. Maybe some of the dev team could feel more motivated if they were rewarded for a not too expensive bit of hardware  or something an a wish list  to help them sweat more and work harder.  Smiley
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:55:09 PM »

I'm not on the ioq3 team, but I've done a great deal of testing and directly communicating/reporting back to Timbo, who would then come up with new test builds very quickly. He has put a great deal of time and effort into solving the input problem with SDL. And I think with latest builds everything works just as well (or even better, cause of mouse4 and mouse5 support) as original IDsoftware quake3 arena. No more sluggish input.

It seems some people here rather just yell and blaim at ioq3 devs instead of actually trying to help them solve the problem. They do their work for free and GPL it. So anyone is free to fix any problems there are in the code base or revert any unwanted changes. It makes no sense at all to point fingers at them.

I fully agree. f0rqu3, you are obviously new and perhaps unaware of the feelings and experiences of some of the members here.  If you are in anyway part, or involved with the OA team then it is completely unacceptable to suggest what people should do with their own money as a charitable gesture. The suggestion is to offer people the OPTION to let people show support as they see fit. Even more sad is that ioq3 efforts are completely unknown to most people and I never see any comments about the improvements of the engine, I guess there arent any, if there is then I am led to believe this is OA work. OA aren't going to donate to the engine so it is disgusting having to read crap like that.  If you bought a car and it had crap parts inside it then how would you feel if you were told its not thier problem, feel the need that it's something the people here need to know, when it was the own free choice of OA to use it?

The OA dev team remain unknown, as so do the people testing. It must have been highly embarrassing to reveal these people are religious followers from IRC, I would like to play these people to see how much I get my ass kicked.  Smiley

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 01:02:38 PM »

f0rqu3, you are obviously new
not really

p.s. this thread isn't about ioq3
i will split woekele's shameless derailment in a new locked topic in a sec

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 01:21:42 PM »

missbehaving, I didn't suggest what to do with your money but what  not to do Tongue.
X00
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 12:37:49 AM »

Hello,

I play OpenArena for a long time.

Multiple time I said me let's go I will develop some tricky feature, but I don't have enough time.
I want to give help, so if that can help the developper team I would like to send money to continue to enjoy this great game more and more.
How can I send you money ? I will also speaking about this with my friend witch a do some lan party.

Have a nice day.
RudyRailer
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 02:33:57 PM »

Dont donate, its afterall a free game.
Noone forces them to work on it and they work on it in there spare time.
Every source they use is free so money is no object to keep the game running.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »

Hehe, you can't justify not donating because "it's made with no investment on free time".
This is how economy works, having some time, using natural resources, producing something and selling it. Any economic process has to have a beginning which doesn't require investment. Wink

The interesting point of donation is it lets you judge : you evaluate how much you'll give with your own criterias (your own budget, the need of money you esteem for the project and for guys working on it, the quality of the project...).

You can be against donations if you don't want to see money involved in the process. This may be easy to apply to a specific project, and one can decide to extend it to any aspect of his/her life (artistic, giving away homegrown drugs Tongue usually things over which we have full control over production process).
I sometimes see not giving money to a project as a way to say "guys, you were able to make all this without money, please continue". It's incitative to make without.
But there is also what some guys call "reality", which is "developers need money to get a living", which is true, so you might decide after all to give away a few bucks ... Tongue

Seems "donation" has 2 meanings, either as a "pure gift" (like giving something without expecting back), or donation as a reward (some form of exchange, freely chosen amount of money for a service). It's not that obvious in french as we only have one word ("dons") for both.

Sorry if i'm annoying you with my thoughts Tongue

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 07:02:05 PM »

Sorry if i'm annoying you with my thoughts Tongue

yes. please stop it. it's annoying. very. cacaaaaaa!

RudyRailer
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 10:35:27 AM »

donation has only one meaning and one alone donating= giving /a gift
every other interpretation is in fact your own reasons for donating

I dont have anything against donating, feel free to give.
I dont choose to do that because obviously this game is intended for free use
Money rules the world enough,.. to bad we all addicted to it.
The more i apreciate the fact people do something for free,..i see it as OpenArena Donates the game to us, and that i am thankfull of.
Why spoil the free with money?? money has no vallue in itselfe anyway hehehe
ok thats all i have to say about that Cheesy
Reuti
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 10:47:55 AM »

Seems "donation" has 2 meanings, either as a "pure gift" (like giving something without expecting back), or donation as a reward (some form of exchange, freely chosen amount of money for a service). It's not that obvious in french as we only have one word ("dons") for both.

I had a third in mind: although I would also be fine if someone buys confectionery from it, my original intention was to overcome any lack of hard- or software for the project. Maybe they (the dev team) need a new graphics card, a 3D scanner for new models or whatever hardware to be supported in a future release of OA. You can have free time and still can't develop anything just because of missing tools.
RudyRailer
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 03:43:01 PM »

I had a third in mind: although I would also be fine if someone buys confectionery from it, my original intention was to overcome any lack of hard- or software for the project. Maybe they (the dev team) need a new graphics card, a 3D scanner for new models or whatever hardware to be supported in a future release of OA. You can have free time and still can't develop anything just because of missing tools.

Donate me a new graphics card then.

Oh and while yer @ it i need a new proccesor and a new motherboard ddr3 prefered.
Any offeres? Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:59:15 PM by RudyRailer » Logged
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »

Oh and while yer @ it i need a new proccesor and a new motherboard ddr3 prefered.
Any offeres? Cheesy

I'll swap. my system is a peice of shit grrr.. I've dumped 40gb of 4 year old data to do a clean install. I set all the graphics to performance and get 40 fps. Sad

RudyRailer
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 04:04:31 PM »

Any offeres? Cheesy

I'll swap. my system is a peice of shit grrr.. I've dumped 40gb of 4 year old data to do a clean install. I set all the graphics to performance and get 40 fps. Sad

So if i get this straight,
You wanna swap your piece of shite system with my crappy system Huh  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: