Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Powerball Mod Released  (Read 6347 times)
riotmod
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: August 15, 2008, 10:14:02 PM »

Hey, I'm new around here.  I just released the first public version of my mod for OpenArena, Powerball.  Powerball adds both arcade-like and RPG-like elements to regular OA gameplay.  For more information (and to download the 1.4 MB mod) check out the Powerball website:

http://linuxthugs.com/powerball

Here's a list of features:

* A custom HUD
    * Five (5) new weapons
    * Six (6) new powers
    * An easy to use interface (requires no additional binds)
    * Works with all game modes
    * Cross-platform;  Powerball uses QVMs, so Powerball should run on any platform that OpenArena runs on, including Linux and Windows
    * Really, really small install (~2.1 MB with source code and manual, less than 1 MB without the source code and manual)
    * Comes with the source code
    * Bots can play Powerball

Tell me what you think!
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 02:27:30 AM »

Hey,

kool mod. It changes gameplay completely. Often I collect powerballs of two or three others shooting down each other. It takes a while to get used to it. I like to shoot grenades although I think they're too small.

My worries:
  • Invisibility! Ouch, I don't like to be unable to see foes.
  • 2 types of Sticky Grenades. Even one type alters gameplay so much.
  • Radius of Sticky Grenades is way too high. Especially when you're on another floor and stick to the ground. When you fire the grenades you get drawn into them as soon as they left your grenadelauncher. Okay it's nice to have a speedup but so often you end up with all players flying around. Gameplay get quiet jerky especially with more than 4 players.
  • The new weapons are great but I found it harder to hit somebody with them. (KP-Gun)

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 06:53:12 AM »

About the licence you use, why don't you chose one for the code, such as BSD or GPL ?
About data, is there a reason why they are Creative Commons and no other licence ? They can't be turned into GPL :-/

The point is only to be able to reuse what you produce in many projects around OpenArena, including the official project which is wholly under GPL. Wink

Edit: quickly tried it, seems fun :p so that's how the getting stuck bug has been turned into a feature Wink
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:59:26 AM by Cacatoes » Logged

Todo: Walk the cat.
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 07:27:52 AM »

if it is based on GPL'ed quake 3 then the license is GPL
or if it based on the quake 3 mod source code. license is what id defined
So in any case  there must be license.

However you can use any license you like for the media if it is your own work

good mod
Pages: [1]
  Print