Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: installer packages  (Read 7736 times)
onykage
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« on: November 27, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »

I noticed in the latest release of OA that the installer was removed.  Are you going to put that feature back in or no?  If so, do you have someone in mind to write the installer script(s)?

I ask cus I would be happy to write a generic windows installer.  I could probably do a dmg or rpm as well.  Also, i havnt checked yet but was OA submitted to the linspire software warehouse?  I asked cus the binarys on the gentoo snapshot are 0.7.1.  I dont know whats on debian, susi, bsd, or fedora, havnt checked those distros.

(edit) I checked fedora/redhat and the OA version on yum is 0.7.7-2.
(edit) I checked debian/ubuntu and the OA version is 0.7.1 and its also (MASKED).  I dont have any machines with susi loaded on them, nor do i have a bsd machine.  Could someone check the portals for those and see if OA is there and what the current version is?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:29:46 AM by onykage » Logged
Tymon
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:21:38 PM »

the latest version is 0.8.1

personally I don't think an installer is necessary a rar file works fine but a .deb file for linux users would be useful I think

onykage
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:22:38 AM »

yeah, I know what the latest version is.  I was pointing out that the postix portals verions where off.
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »

the latest version is 0.8.1

personally I don't think an installer is necessary a rar file works fine but a .deb file for linux users would be useful I think

A rar file for a gpl project? XD
onykage
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 02:18:08 PM »

rar files are wonderful.  works, easy to use, and less fear.

BUT

this also targets people who know their way around a computer system.  Believe it or not still over 50% of people that are on the internet know absolutely nothing about how to install software, even with a really detailed installation guide.

The point of the installer is to allow the game to reach more desktops and allow for more people to try the game, thus give it more popularity.

Of course, im like you guys who posted (mostly gurus), less work == better results.  But only a very small percentage of people are in the open source communities.  And this post wasnt really meant for anyone who reads this forum, but for those who dont, and might be aided to find it if the software is quite easily obtainable.  It was also meant for fromhell who is the senior chair for the OA dev dept.  And since you cant send lei pm's (which is obvious why), its easier to pass ideas and information to the correct channels via the proper forum thread.  Just because lei hasnt replied to this thread doesnt mean it hasnt been read.  When the time comes, and it needs to be addressed it will happen.

Please.  If anyone wants to reply to this post, do so with some accurate information about availability of OA packages, on what mirrors/websites and if so what distros, so that the correct versions can be applied where needed.  And or any other affiliate sites or mirrors that OA isnt found on so it can be added accordingly.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 04:01:07 AM »

what is wrong with the current zip file? it's only about adding it in the windows menu automatically?

yeah, ubuntu has still a 0.7.1 package, i hope that they will update next year.

for mac users, a dmg would be nice, but it would be a mac only release. Me myself prefer a multi-platform folder anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: