Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OA 0.8.0 in Ubuntu 8.04/compiz  (Read 8436 times)
digitalhead
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 22, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »

I am having a bit of a problem playing OA in Ubuntu (Gnome/Compiz). If I have Compiz enabled when I open OA, it the mouse doesn't work. I can see my desktop cursor on top of OA, while the OA cursor is stuck in the upper left corner. Sometimes, if I just close and open it again (sometimes multiple times), it will start working properly. Then, after a few minutes of playing, it seems like it freaks out, the screen starts spinning like I'm moving the mouse all around, then the fullscreen game, will seem to get windowed, with excessively bright colors and the mouse will stop working in the game again. The attached image is of this, with the exception of the extra brightness, which apparently wasn't something the screenshot would capture.  I know the obvious answer would be to disable Compiz, but if I try to re-enable it after I finish playing, my computer will lock up.

My closest solution to this has been to use XFCE when I play the game, but that is rather annoying. Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:26:31 PM by digitalhead » Logged

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:47:34 PM »

you could turn off compiz, or you could use this script, which turns off Compiz during the time you're playing Open Arena --This script works on my laptop running Open Arena 0.7.6, it should work 0.8.0, or any other opengl app (Just change the path to the application)

I'm also using Ubuntu 8.04 btw, but same as before, this should work on every version of Linux

Code:
#!/bin/bash
metacity --replace &
/home/(username)/openarena-0.7.6/openarena.i386
compiz --replace

The only issue I have with it is that at times, the default mouse cursor appears on the screen, just to the side of the target marker, rectile... that dot that I can't remember the name of... Tongue but I still have mouse control over the game

The fullscreen-window with freaky colors happens with all versions of OA on Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04, I get that all the time.  Best way is to turn off the screensaver during gameplay (I have no scripts for that though...)

tell me if that script works, or if it just causes a lock up, That's all that I know
digitalhead
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 04:38:48 PM »

After a quick test run, that script seemed to work, with no lock up after exiting OA. I will try it out better at a later time. As for disabling the screensaver, it's never been enabled in the time I've owned this laptop. If I leave my laptop, I just close the lid unless it's doing something I need to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the script.

Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:45:31 PM »

No problem Smiley
yasha
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Did thunder hit my head?

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »

Try putting resolution to different from your OS. I have 1280X1024 resolution on Ubuntu, and when i tried OA with same resolution same thing happened. But when i changed OAs resolution to 1024X768 it worked just fine.

... Am I in desert? ...
digitalhead
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 05:32:24 PM »

I have a 1280x800 display on my laptop, and 1280x800 is the only widescreen resolution that OA gives me. If it wasn't for the stretched characters and whatnot, I would use a lower resolution for faster performance.

TheUbuntuGuy
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:48:29 PM »

i made a post on the openarena wiki

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#The_game_switches_from_fullscreen_to_windowed_mode_and_the_mouse_becomes_unusable

hopefully it solves the remaining problems
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: