Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CTF Map: The Tower (Beta) (pics)  (Read 12717 times)
personman
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:58:04 AM »

Here is a test version of my Open Arena team-play map, The Tower. It's a large map featuring team-bases, bridges, cliffs, waterfalls, and a tower.

http://anarchismtoday.org/Downloads/details/id=13.html

As always, testing and feedback is appreciated. Smiley

-Andy
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 03:31:22 PM »

I like it lots, but I dislike all the little structural errors, like in the tunnels there is the flashing lines effect. Disregarding those, I like it.

epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 03:50:09 PM »

it looks  ok. lighting is a little weird though
you may want to select a different texture for the outer wall
(or add a different texture somewhere. it is too monotonous )
there are some over lit spots on the ceiling
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:30:42 PM »

OUTDOORS:
The outside area looks great, with good lighting (I was not blinded by the ground as I expected).  The base fronts need some banners (etc) so you know which base is which.

I didn't like the big hole underwater, there's a big stone tower not supported by any solid ground, so I suggest make a single narrow tunnel [or remove it altogether, sometimes less is more].

INDOORS:
Lots of light not coming from anywhere/anything, so I hope you plan to add some torches or whatever (OA is pretty short of mapmodels).

The tunnel to the flag is too long IMHO, too easily defended, so I suggest make it 1/3rd shorter.

I think the main base room is too wide, there are four ramps up the top (parallel to flag tunnel), making the room 1/4 narrower and merging the two middle ramps (of those four) into a single centered one could improve the flow.

Hope that helps!
Timedude
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 06:45:20 PM »

I dunno what's up, but it's not showing up when I go to ctf and scroll through the maps available.... Screens look nice, though.

-Timedude
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 06:54:55 PM »

The PK3 doesn't include an .arena file.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
personman
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 08:06:51 AM »

I mistakenly put the readme with the instructions in the pk3 and forgot to include them in the zip:

INSTALL: Place the .pk3 file in your openarena/baseoa folder.

LOAD: /map the_tower-beta1

Regarding the lack of visible light sources, for some reason, on my setup, if I put in a lot of torches, the map refuses to compile. I suspect it has something to do with a message the flame textures seems to generate: WARNING: ProjectSurfaceLightmap: Chose a 0 valued axis

But I don't really know what that means or what to do about it.

Also, last I tried to make an .arena file, I would get a message that the number of arenas has to be divisible by 4 or something, and it still wouldn't show up in the menus. Was awhile ago, I'll have to see what I can do.

I appreciate the feedback, stuff like this is why I wanted to do a test version, get these annoyances figured out.

Updated: I've added an .arena file for in-game support. Changed the version number to 1a, I noticed someone is running it already Smiley don't want to cause any pure-server grief.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:05:32 AM by personman » Logged
Timedude
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 05:07:18 AM »

Okay, better, but not working yet... Now it just gets to the choose bots/time/scores/ect. screen, and when your press play nothing happens. Plus, there is no level shot. I know I can launch it with a command line, but just thought I'd tell ya anyway...

-Timedude
personman
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 11:35:22 AM »

Very strange, I'm getting the same thing now. Even though it seems all the files are as they should be...I'll keep poking around at it and put up a new beta once I get something figured out. Thanks for testing, sorry about all the trouble.
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 12:01:52 PM »

I like it* but it's freaking huuuuudge (empty Smiley ) the water's transparency is incredible too.

*it's pretty

Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »

It is a nice, open, big map. Saying that its big is an understatement. Saying its MASSIVE is getting there Tongue I see no huge problems with it being an incredibly massive map, just means more strafe jumping Wink.

Suggestions:
-I like that there is two ways to get to the flag, but having more than one way to get out would definitly be good. A single, long, narrow path out of the flag room makes it impossible to exit, therefore the match will be locked in an eternal stalemate. Add a couple passages for escapees, maybe with a bounce pad so that they can get out of there quick.
-For the giant lakes, maybe add another bridge on each side, but then again this isn't really necessary, as there is still more than one way to get to the other side.
-For every very long, narrow hallway, consider tearing down the wall so people have the option to jump down. At the very least have a window(s) in order to keep things interesting Smiley
-Keep in mind that the more movement options the player has, the better. The MAIN point, is the flag room. With that single, long, narrow corridor that the flag carrier MUST go through, it makes it impossible to escape. The flag carrier needs options, as he/she will most likely be outnumbered.

It should be a fun map in any case, I look forward to seeing the finished version Smiley

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: