Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: am_galmevish - A one-day-built map  (Read 65023 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: September 15, 2008, 09:07:29 PM »

Well, this is another attempt of mine to build a map. Tongue
This time I've decided to create a map inspired on DM-Morbias, (Unreal, UT, UT3) DM-Gael and DM-Leviathan, (both UT2KX) with only Rail & Rocket, Quad, and some armor and health.
There's a lot of corrections to be made, but, at least, it works, and works fine and well.
It was built in a day, and it's my first attempt to use portals and teleporters.

Pre-0.8.1 changes:
EDIT: Added some things I forgot to include. Ceiling and pillars.

EDIT2: New version:
- Some aesthetic changes (4 more pillars Tongue)
- New weapons: Nailgun, (w/ammo) Lightning Gun, (w/ammo) more Rocket Launchers and some Shotguns. (wo/ammo)
- Now the Quad Damage appears above the wood stack above the lava pit. (That's the reason why I was putting only Rocket & Rail in the map)
- Teleporter effect changed. (At least, until I figure out how to do the Quake teleporter' effect)

EDIT3: New version again. Tongue
- Aesthetic changes (Some pillars and lot of torches removed from the old map - added a trim to pit, no lava pit anymore)
- Teleporter effect again changed. -.-

EDIT4: Renamed to am_galmevish by fromhell's asking. Also attached here.

Post-0.8.1, pre-0.8.2 changes:
EDIT5: Fixed a t-junction error at one. Also made botclipping and clusterportaling.

EDIT5: New version, completely redone pit, and added some detail. It includes some fx textures courtesy of onykage. Tongue (He's working on more shaders and textures)

New changes:
- Replaced teleporters with cosmo's ctf_compromise ones. I didn't thought on these while I was doing the map. Cheesy
- Hinting of the map.
- Changed map structure: added weaponbases, and the ways should look better now.
- Made players start with Rail & Rocket.
- Replaced torches with czest1dm lights. Cheesy

a3 changes:
- HUGE brush fix & cleanup. Now most of the errors are gone, fortunately, making the map compileable.
- Now the size is reduced, it's almost of the size of a small tourney map. My bad. -.-
- Harvester support. ^^ Gen is on the upper floor on the south side, and both skull receptacles are on the north side, lower floor. Another way to play. Cheesy
- Removed all the weapons, only remaining are Rocket Launcher, Lightning Gun and Railgun. Remember how the original map on Unreal Tournament was. Cheesy Ah, and Quad still remains in the wood bridge.

a4 changes:
* Detail all over the level. Hopefully this level looks even more good than before.
* The pillars aren't models anymore, they're now detail brushes.

a5 changes:
- Support for TDM, Elimination & DD. (But I can't make the points to appear where I want Sad)
- Fixed the pit. It shouldn't draw those nasty glitches again.

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSuVfin_r-M - Flares & Bloom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMnFFxu_Awo - No Flares nor Bloom

Download: Here. ^^

Credits:

- T. Elliot "Myscha The Sled Dog" Cannon, for making one of the best Arena levels for Unreal series: DmMorbias and DM-Morbias][. Also, James Schmalz for DM-Gael and DM-Leviathan. (UT2003/4)
- Everyone who was here and there for testing. There's so much people to cite, and I'm afraid of missing someone. -.-
- onykage for FX textures and hosting.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:03:50 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:37:37 AM »

New version, new screens, new link.

Any comments? Tongue

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 11:21:13 AM »

WARNING: Only bot-tested for maybe 3 minutes, tops.  Also, I wasn't very good at it. Smiley

This really does feel like an Unreal (old, pre-226) map, scaled for Quake (or a UT map in a not-space-tech motif).

I could see this getting some use -- from my (probably very biased) experience, there seems to be a shortage of (included) maps designed specifically for 2 or 3 players (if this partially is what you intended).  (You could go for oa_dm4, oa_dm1, oa_rpg3dm2, or aggressor, but it sometimes feels very long between gunfights depending on who you're playing, especially when compared to this map.)  (Possible lack of Team DM is another thing altogether...)

No preferences on weapons or balance (or detail, which is too early to say anyway).

I do get HoMs in the teleporters with the default settings, for some reason, and the teleporter by 0,1664,384 seems to be broken, but they work.

Great start going.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:35:17 PM »

Some suggestions:
Either increase the number of weapons significantly (this is an arena map, so there is no time to collect weapons). Spread more rocked launchers around the map or let players spawn with a better weapon (like the shotgun). This map will be played with 10+ players because arena maps appeal to a lot of players (more action, less boredom).

Remove the teleporters or make them one way (only up). Is it only me that finds two way teleporters annoying? It is easy getting down anyway.

I see the same mirror effect as damocles.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 06:13:33 PM »

The HoMs at the teleporters are because I tried to do the same effect Quake teleporters has (for example, the q3dm7 teleporter in the megahealth room when you fall into the lava pit) in which you see the other side. And it seems that isn't working at all. :/

I thought that an elevator could be at teleporter's place, but it would be very... obvious. Tongue

Also I thought on a jumppad instead of teleporters, but again... it would be very obvious. Grin

I will see what can I do...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:41:32 PM by Armageddon_Man » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 08:58:08 PM »

New version, check first post.

qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »

A nice map. I would like if it had some irregularities, but that's just me (the less shooter and more tactics player)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/qubodup/tags/amgaelevish/

Is everything in the map GPL? (I need the info for the screenshots)

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 12:07:29 PM »

I use the game's textures, no TRaK's ones. Tongue

qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 12:26:52 PM »

dude.

first of all there's no last word about trak's textures.

second of all you might not be releasing the map under gpl or might be using nongpl textures or models or ...

jeez. I guess my description "GPLv2 licensed" is good then.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »

I only used textures and models that comes with the game, no external things, and AFAIK all the things I used were available at 0.7.0 or 0.7.6, I guess.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 04:55:29 PM »

I will work in this map now. The first issue I had is... how the h*ll can I reduce lag (and FPS falling-down) in the middle zone? Should I remove those torches and try with... for example... some windows?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 07:49:31 PM »

Well, screenshots from the new version. I will upload it ASAP.

I still can't reduce the lag in the middle zone. -.-

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 08:08:59 PM »

Uploaded new version. Check first post. ^^
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 08:10:54 PM by Armageddon_Man » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »

Well, I'm sure you've played this map. Grin

I've created a mini-list of changes for 0.8.2:

- Replace those pit borders.
- Try to make those pillars being at the same lightning level than the rest of the map.
- Remove t-junction errors in the ramps leading to upper level.

So... what other changes/additions should I make to this map?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »

Head to first post for download link, changes, and screenshots. ^^

PS: Don't worry, detail is clipped.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:21:17 PM by Armageddon_Man » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 04:01:22 PM »

Uploading... DON'T DOWNLOAD NOTHING UNTIL I SAY YOU CAN!!!

- Fixed a texture issue caused by accidentally overlapped brushes.
- Redone hinting and done clusterportalling.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 07:04:57 PM »

Uploaded fixed version. I should make some weapon bases later.

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 08:03:05 PM »

Same zip problem here, maybe your uploads got interrupted, or maybe I have a problem with my zip program Cheesy

Todo: Walk the cat.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 08:18:22 PM »

I've reuploaded both three maps. The three have been uploaded bad. I'll reuploaded, hope they work now.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 07:48:10 AM »

Doing changes, to make this map to be committed, plus some changes I was doing:

- Replaced teleporters with cosmo's ctf_compromise ones. I didn't thought on these while I was doing the map. Cheesy
- Hinting of the map.
- Changed map structure: added weaponbases, and the ways should look better now.
- Made players start with Rail & Rocket.
- Replaced torches with czest1dm lights. Cheesy

I'm uploading the map and screenshots of it. Sorry for the inconvenients. :/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:50:06 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 10:52:40 AM »

Done. All the changes above, plus replacement of lights. This version will replace am_galmevish.

As always, download link and screenies are at the first post.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:55:25 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 01:33:22 PM »

Due to the high amount of errors found while compiling, I'll be redoing this map from scratch next weekend.
I hear suggestions. Remember that this is a fun map.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 05:25:58 AM »

Ideas not to be taken very serious.
  • replace one side with a huge jump pad instead of the whole walkway to the top.
  • have laserbeams in the center instead of common fog of death (like UT)
  • add more details to walls
  • do a SVN checkout to get latest textures. Wink
  • wait for a better teleporter model Wink

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 11:10:36 PM »

Well, new version of am_galmevish2. It compiles!!!
I think I took the contrary road -.-

- HUGE brush fix & cleanup. Now most of the errors are gone, fortunately.
- Now the size is reduced, it's almost of the size of a small tourney map. My bad. -.-
- Harvester support. ^^ Gen is on the upper floor on the south side, and both skull receptacles are on the north side, lower floor. Another way to play. Cheesy
- Removed all the weapons, only remaining are Rocket Launcher, Lightning Gun and Railgun. Remember how the original map on Unreal Tournament was. Cheesy Ah, and Quad still remains in the wood bridge.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 12:16:46 PM »

I felt guilty for the lack of detail of this map, so I tried to give some detail to it.

a4 changes:
* Detail all over the level. Hopefully this level looks even more good than before.
* The pillars aren't models anymore, they're now detail brushes.

You know where to find D/L link and screenies. These are taken with flares & bloom off. I STRONGLY suggest you to NOT to play this level with both settings on, unless you want to go blind. Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: