Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: am_galmevish - A one-day-built map  (Read 65027 times)
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 10:43:15 PM »

looks good, texturing and lighting is much more interesting. just to let you know you can shoot thru some gratings but not others (the jump pad ones i think).

— VortexHU —
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2012, 04:08:49 AM »

Once I solve the lighting problem in the center area, I'll call it a day.

Try adding "-sky 0.3" to the lighting parameters of q3map2.

Really good work btw.

My two cents:
(a) there are big curved metal walls on the top floor : this doesn't look good, I think it would look better as just a curved brick wall with the narrow sticking-out metal supports that appear elsewhere.

(b) do the flags show up for CTF?  They didn't for me (but I haven't added the 0.8.8 patch)

(c) I think the BFG ruins the gameplay in most maps, and will in this one too.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2012, 06:25:07 AM »

I agree, but anyway it's possible for the server admin to remove the weapon.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2012, 06:46:54 AM »

looks good, texturing and lighting is much more interesting. just to let you know you can shoot thru some gratings but not others (the jump pad ones i think).
I'll check that.

Once I solve the lighting problem in the center area, I'll call it a day.

Try adding "-sky 0.3" to the lighting parameters of q3map2.
Thanks, I'll try that.

(a) there are big curved metal walls on the top floor : this doesn't look good, I think it would look better as just a curved brick wall with the narrow sticking-out metal supports that appear elsewhere.
I wasn't convinced by this as well. I'll see what can I do...

(b) do the flags show up for CTF?  They didn't for me (but I haven't added the 0.8.8 patch)
They show up only in DD.

Again, not a competitive map.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2012, 07:41:18 AM »

I agree with BFG being problematic on most maps. It boils down is map playable which is far away from competitive.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2012, 08:23:25 AM »

No, I'm not going to turn this map into a competitive one.
My attempt at doing a competitive map is am_underworks2.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2012, 08:33:53 AM »

Removing BFG does not necessarily means that the map will be competitive, but at least playable. Most players tend to quit the server when a "BFG troll" connects that keep getting the BFG and kill everyone. This kills the gameplay since noone can fight back: it just becomes a genocide.

However, if the BFG was made carefully, then it may be a nice addition, but it should be restrained by both how the map was designed and how to access it (a very long respawn time - a cycled respawn time - a secret place that opens rarely, etc...).

Anyway, as I said, admins are free to remove the bfg by themselves.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2012, 04:38:38 AM »

In a map like this one, a guy with a railgun may kill a guy with a bfg at long distance, I guess. Anyway, it's a good suggestion to do not make it appear after just 5 seconds like standard weapons.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2012, 07:54:04 AM »

In a map like this one, a guy with a railgun may kill a guy with a bfg at long distance, I guess. Anyway, it's a good suggestion to do not make it appear after just 5 seconds like standard weapons.

Everyone agree (even some ID Software guys if I remember well) that the Q3 bfg is totally off-balance with the rest of the game. Even a railgun cannot compete (one or two bfg shot is enough to kill anyone, and is almost instant shot because the projectiles are way too fast), so no there's no competition against this weapon. It has all the benefits without any drawbacks. The only thing to make it the invincible weapon would be to make it a real instant weapon, but it's already kind of instant as I pointed out above.

Anyway, it's up to the mapper to choose. But a good map cannot put aside gameplay, even if it's not made towards a competition use.

@Neon_Knight: please do not be downed by these comments, your map is great and I like it. You're doing a great job mapping for OA, and your work is very much appreciated.
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2012, 05:53:23 PM »

+1
@Neon_Knight: please do not be downed by these comments, your map is great and I like it. You're doing a great job mapping for OA, and your work is very much appreciated.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2012, 07:52:59 AM »

Attached to this post is a "demo" version for OA3. It's basically Galmevish with a new weapon/item placement which includes only stuff which has been DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3List]greenlit for inclusion. The lighting was also fixed. There are also some minor details.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2016, 10:21:10 PM »

I'm continuing the development in this topic.

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4801.0

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: