Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: tux head  (Read 13726 times)
white haired boy
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« on: December 09, 2006, 09:43:09 AM »

hi,

i've been working on a tux model for openarena. i'm still figuring out blender, so it's slow going. i have got a head made though. i built the face from scratch using a picture of tux as a reference. the head started of as a cube that i subsufed, stretched, lopped the bottom half off and cut a hole for the face. i then positioned the face and head together, filled in the gaps and smoothed everything out.

i've attached a .blend file showing my tux head next to the head model from sarge. i wanted to get a similar level of detail and i think i did ok.  the sarge head has 140 verts and my tux model has 163, which is reasonably close. i haven't skinned it because i don't know how, but if anyone wants to give it a go that would great.

the model is gpl v2.

white haired boy.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 06:10:38 PM »

Kinda close to the trademark http://www.isc.tamu.edu/%7Elewing/linux/ meaning you'd probably need his permission to use the likeness as Tux is _not_ public domain.

Other than that it is a good likeness. Smiley 

white haired boy
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 09:57:28 AM »

i've done some more work on the tux head model and this time i've included a picture so people can see what i'm talking about.

white haired boy.
white haired boy
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 10:03:16 AM »

i've been trying to make this model as close to the tux logo as possible, but as dmn_clown pointed out, the tux logo is not public domain, so i'll have to have to ask larry ewing permission to make a model of tux.

i'll email him and see what he says.

white haired boy.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 01:35:47 PM »

You don't have to make him look exactly alike and directly derive from the original image. I don't see Tuxracer, Supertuxkart or Wormux stopped because of it...

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
white haired boy
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 03:14:49 PM »

good point leileilol.

i was having some difficulty getting my penguin to match the logo anyway. the head of the logo is drawn at an angle which means a lot of what i was trying to do was guesswork. there was also the problem that the tux logo has no neck which would pose difficulties getting the head animated, especially when the white colouring on his chest goes all the way up to the beak.

i'll probably stop trying to match the logo and just do my own thing now. thanks for the advice.

white haired boy.   :-)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: