Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some thoughts  (Read 20150 times)
jute
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« on: September 26, 2008, 10:11:26 AM »

A few thoughts:

Two of the titles suggested in "Untitled Project I"'s title thread seem like very good choices for these projects:  "Heresy" and "Häxan".

Heretic and Hexen have pretty contrasting atmospheres, with Heretic quite vivid and bright and Hexen pretty gloomy and dark.  What if the open content project for Hexen was aesthetically Diablo-influenced, i.e. Copperplate Gothic text, lots of black and red, etc.  (This would fit well if you're planning on using pre-rendered sprites, too).  I don't know if Eriance would be willing, but if so, these potions would be a perfect fit: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15999&p=373733#p372232
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:14:39 AM by Jute Gyte » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:12:53 AM »

I don't like Diablo's style much though, it's a color lacker and doesn't age too well (especially the font prominently used). As for using Copperplate Gothic, that's a copyrighted typeface and I doubt we could use it. Truetype fonts don't translate well to 8x8 characters.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:17:38 AM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
jute
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 09:33:47 AM »

Fair enough.  I hadn't considered the difficulties of making an 3x3 Copperplate-esque font.  I still stand by recommendation of those titles and potion graphics (if possible), though.
jute
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 01:11:44 PM »

So Kristus has said he would be interested in contributing graphics to a Heretic-based open data project: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?postid=744920#post744920

And I think that it's worth asking the contributors to the Heretic Treasure Chest about using their work.  I'd be willing to contact them if that sounds like a good idea to you.
kristus
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:41:01 PM »

So what are your aims with this project? Artistically speaking.

For instance with weapons. Will there be any freedom of creativity there? Or should they more or less resemble the original designs.
Should colors be the same for things like the crossbow projectile, or the crystal vial?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:43:15 PM by kristus » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:27:45 AM »

Since some ports attach colored lighting and flares to sprites I'd rather have things roughly the same basic color if they emit light (like the color of etheral arrows). Anything that doesnt' glow can be whatever.

Also please note that I don't want to run the project, but rather have Fraggle host the repository for it as a branch under Freedoom.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
jute
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:33:47 AM »

Personally I would rather see some creativity.  I think that this early on if you started providing a bunch of graphics, those graphics would have a large influence on the style of the project.  I certainly wouldn't think you'd be turned down!  When there is no compensation and no competition, content providers have quite a bit of creative power.  (I do agree with fromhell about light-emitting stuff remaining compatible, though.)
kristus
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 01:03:42 PM »

Ok.
Has there been any work done on it so far?
jute
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 02:11:12 PM »

Not as far as I know.  When I finish doing the music for Dave3D (sometime later this week), I plan to work on the music for a "FreeHeretic".  It's only 22 tracks and shouldn't take that long to do.

Ier of the Heretic Treasure Chest mentioned that he might be interested in mapping.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: