Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Truly Free sound resources  (Read 26184 times)
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« on: June 03, 2008, 03:53:44 PM »

Every sound file on pdsounds except one is .mp3. Is that ok with you? Do you require the lossless 'source' file for free sound files?

Other free sounds:

http://virtualworlds.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Sounds - microscopic selection, WTFPL and PD

http://www.lunerouge.org/spip/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=49 - small selection, FAL

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Sound - medium? selection, various licenses/copyright statuses

http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4 - two small high quality sound packs, one mediocre music loops pack, see here for terms of use (it's practically pd)

all my sounds on freesound are in the public domain, I tag them with "public-domain" and declare them pd in every comment. I asked others to use the same system, but nobody cared.

I have an ok portable recorder, which is able to produce high-quality recordings of sounds. If you have some sound recording wishes please tell me (qubodup@gmail.com or http://forum.freegamedev.net/index.php?t=msg&th=1109 )
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 06:14:46 AM by qubodup » Logged

nocturne
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:27:16 PM »

With all the discussion of music requiring the use of free samples, I'm curious. Why doesn't some industrious composer simply create some tracks using software  synths? With these you can design your own sounds to create your music, and many sequencers will let you output the final composition as AIFF, which could then be converted to whatever format is required for OA. Seems like this would be a simple way to get around problematic sample licenses. Just a thought.
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 07:39:43 PM »

I think sound design is not trivial. I also think there are few sound designers. Even less who are interested in free as in freedom media or licenses.

I forgot about http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sound_samples 10 gigs of sounds/samples. all cc-by 3.0 licensed.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:35:10 PM »

cc free != truly free

also not every public domain source is legally public domain. For example, Golgotha's "public domain" data contains familiar-sounding copyrighted material from Sound Ideas.
I'm going to split this thread up.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 03:16:19 AM »

cc free != truly free

You could as easily has written:
truly free != GPL

You should be careful not to call CC non-free unless specifically talking about ND or NC variants. The problem with CC in Open Arena is the implications of multiple licenses.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
ThePlayer
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 07:41:30 PM »

Why not use the music of http://www.fanaticalproductions.net/ the producer of the soundtracks available on cube.
I don't think Marc A. Pullen has any problem with OpenArena including his music on it. He only ask for credits.
Also he's music is so cool for games, it makes the cube engine feel cool so it will make OpenArena much cooler.

He has a new album of 2008 that will be so cool if used: Spontaneous Failure (10 songs)

This is a quote from his website
All MP3s on this site or last.fm can be used free of charge for any purpose, with one requirement - you must credit Marc A. Pullen or http://fanaticalproductions.net somewhere in your project (in the video credits, text credits, image or screenshot, or saying it aloud (such as an audio broadcast) etc).

This includes, but is not limited to, video games (either open source, free or commercial "pay to play" games), videos (YouTube, Google, etc), online, satellite, or traditional land based radio stations, live concerts - including background music or a band covering a song live, etc.

You can use portions of any song, for example one section of a song or to make a non-looping song loop properly.

You can not sell my music on its own. You can include it in something you are selling, but you cannot simply sell any of my songs as a standalone product. My music is free, and shall remain so.

I dont think that a text file with proper credits on OpenArena will make any damage. Also those mp3's could be encoded to ogg so whats stopping from including some good music on the game.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 08:00:17 AM »

This is a custom license, and from what I understand it is not compatible with GPL.
You can not sell my music on its own.
This only fact, for instance.

So, no, these songs can't be used :-/

Todo: Walk the cat.
ThePlayer
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 11:21:34 AM »

This is a custom license, and from what I understand it is not compatible with GPL.
You can not sell my music on its own.
This only fact, for instance.

So, no, these songs can't be used :-/

You missed an important part of the quote:

----------------
You can include it in something you are selling, but you cannot simply sell any of my songs as a standalone product. My music is free, and shall remain so.
----------------

It clearly says that you can add it to something you are selling, the only thing is that you cant sell music cd's of him. The only think he ask is for credits.

----------------
can be used free of charge for any purpose, with one requirement - you must credit Marc A. Pullen or http://fanaticalproductions.net
----------------

----------------
This includes, but is not limited to, video games (either open source, free or commercial "pay to play" games)
----------------

So it should be not a problem to include his fabulous music he is clearly saying that you can include his music on pay to play games while open arena is free. Also the gpl license allows the addition of other licenses.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 11:51:47 AM »

Also the gpl license allows the addition of other licenses.
Yes, but OpenArena does not.

That music could be used inside OpenArena, but then several licenses would be used. Several consequences in plus of the fact it brings complications, one of them would be OpenArena to be removed from Debian-Free repository.

Todo: Walk the cat.
ThePlayer
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 01:03:33 PM »

That music could be used inside OpenArena, but then several licenses would be used. Several consequences in plus of the fact it brings complications, one of them would be OpenArena to be removed from Debian-Free repository.

Umm, now I understand from the point of debian repository. Sorry for any inconvenience I may caused.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 03:23:47 PM »

or you could ask him to add a license compatible with the openarena project.

(but then again - it must be tracker music in a human readable format, i almost forgot...)
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 02:29:51 PM »

Tracker, MusicXML, or equivalent, or even in roughly the form of musical notation / sheet music, if it has to come to that.

It's not as if it needs to last for at least a century or for advanced civilizations or something -- but... can you tell what this is supposed to sound like?  (not just the obvious, like breakbeats)
doveraudio
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 12:02:54 PM »

i'm kind of an audio guy, it's been a while since i was up here, but i can try and whip up some soundfx and ambient background sounds and such, if you'd want to use them.
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 02:17:53 PM »

i'm kind of an audio guy, it's been a while since i was up here, but i can try and whip up some soundfx and ambient background sounds and such, if you'd want to use them.
I expect that fromhell will  not answer to this post, but hope that some map makers will.

I personally would find it cool if you created a set of machines-background sounds (generators, engines...) if you're into this sort of stuff.

It would be necessary that you publish the lossless (wav or flac) audio files, so that they can be used for editing.

By the way: Do you know of any sound file format/sound project file format (by some application) which can be a "source" format for sound effects? Do you for example use some kind of sound-generation-language and could provide the scripts that generate the sound?

doveraudio
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 08:14:53 PM »

ah, well, i make vsts and use them in openmodplug tracker, which is gpl'd, and there is a new song format the programmers of the afformentioned host have developed which is xml based, so in theory, there could be something in there,... i'm departing from my synthedit blanket and have been heavily studying java for the past few weeks, so i'm looking to muss with xml eventually myself... now, on the topic of the sounds i could make, or whatever, i mean, there's a ton of the vst's i made on my myspace page, and they are all beyond the gpl, i mean, they may not be open source, but they are completely public domain... and so is all my music and compositions ... just given , completely and utterly away... so anyway, any map makers have some specific sounds they want... i was also thinking about using my mic here and my high def sound card to smash and bang on some stuff and record some vocal grunts and graoans, and see how happily they are processable for in gamey type effects... urk.. let me grab some stuff and post it up to my box... what audio rate do you want the machine sounds... you mean rotor effects and drive drones, and perhaps maybe some "computer" beeps and such (this would be somewhat my forte ye,) - anyway... if you type "doveraudio" into google, a ton of my audio resources pop up, and have at them... you wacky cats... most of the vst's only work under windows, but some of them work under wine on linux, but never tested with wine and osx --- but anyway, let me get started, cause i love this game and want to see it get more "polished..." - so - yeah, i'll stop typing now... and fire up a host and make some machine sounds....
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 08:44:35 PM »

By the way: Do you know of any sound file format/sound project file format (by some application) which can be a "source" format for sound effects? Do you for example use some kind of sound-generation-language and could provide the scripts that generate the sound?

Another Truly Free sound resource: Csound (LGPL, and is something like what qubodup is asking about)

(But, even if you have source of some form (tracker module, Audacity project): Most of the time you'll still need some form of knowledge and experience (recording, production, engineering, composition, etc.) to know what to do with it, especially if it's just a one-shot recording (how else can you do it?), if not documentation -- like images, there may not be intermediate steps available.)
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 05:47:07 AM »

I'll stop typing now... and fire up a host and make some machine sounds....

Cheesy yay!

I'll have to reply to your post more extensively later (can't listen sounds at work). But wanted to express my happines already.

I was thinking of drones and rotors, but computer sfx and beeps are definitely also always good.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 12:21:34 PM »

this topic was never intended for discussion.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: