Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Public domain content allowed?  (Read 6297 times)
BrainChemistry
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: October 03, 2008, 04:23:34 AM »

Hi there,

I'd like to know if public domain content (e.g. textures) are allowed since the nature of public domain allows anybody to re-license this content (e.g. GPL 2).

In my special case it is about textures I use for a map which are noted to be public domain. As I understand public domain I could use these textures in my map and release the map as GPL 2 (including the former public domain textures) to go along with OA's license rules. Since this topic might be of general interest I posted this topic in the general development forum.

Any hints why or why not public domain is allowed is very welcome.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 06:13:47 AM »

Truly public domain has less restrictions that the GPL and hence is perfectly compatible with the GPL.  So there is no issue with using truly public domain stuff in OpenArena.

I say "truly" because sometimes when people say their work is public domain they actually mean something else (something with extra restrictions on it, like a non-commercial restriction).

If you can show reasonable evidence that the textures are truly public domain, I think your map is a lot more likely to be accepted by the OA developers [assuming the quality of the map is up to scratch, of course].
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 09:32:40 PM »

Yes. Public domain music however (as in, truly expired recordings of unfitting old-timey music) is unacceptable though.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
BrainChemistry
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 07:47:37 AM »

I see. Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: