Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: map request: lot of jumppads  (Read 7827 times)
dash9

Cakes 6

« on: October 06, 2008, 09:36:27 AM »

I want a map with a lot of jumppads. So practically a player will always be moving, or more exactly flying.

- The map should have 4 big walls, we don't want everybody to have negative scores. Smiley
- Can have a ceiling or a sky, I think a sky (or black) would be nicer, but we don't want the players jumping over the walls, unless they really want to.
- The "big room" should be mostly empty, obviously.
- The map should be medium-large.
- Lot of spawn places, preferably on the floor.
- The floor has to be 100% jumppads with various directions, angles, speeds. I don't know how hard it would be to create an area of the floor and then copy/paste it to cover the whole floor. I also don't know if you can have jumppads twice as big as "normal" jumppads or even larger, this could make the work easier.

- Optional for the first version: There could be some easily-recognizable large jumppads (red maybe) which take you to a central platform, up. Smiley

I think it would be fun playing with rail and maybe rockets (not both). With rockets one could practice air rockets, I think the map should be medium-small. Even lg would be fun on a medium-small version.

Ideas, suggestions?

You are a mapper, you like the idea but you are not convinced? Name a price and we can discuss.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 09:39:03 AM by dash9 » Logged

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:45:34 PM »

I like the idea Wink but I'm not a mapper ... it may not be too hard to make the one you want though.

As for the gameplay I'd see many mid-air rockets there Tongue
* Cacatoes loves

Todo: Walk the cat.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:29:23 PM »

I liked training101 map which I used to practice with my bot with rockets Cheesy

http://q3eu.com/training101.pk3

it's probably a bit basic for what your asking for so why not bookmark : http://lvlworld.com/ and I'm sure you'll find something close enough without asking anyone to re-invent the wheel.
kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 08:08:50 AM »

I don't think the idea is good for anything more than 20-30 minutes fun. I know because I thought something similar too. I happen to have a map which is basically what you describe, but with far less jump pads than you are thinking about. It came about after somebody asked for a map consisting in a big area where bots would be spawning somewhere in the centre and jump afterwards; players would be conveniently waiting around prepared to rail them as they appear. Pretty much like those guys with a shotgun shooting flying disks...

As it is now, the map is very sad, but I'll upload it for you.
BrainChemistry
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 07:52:30 AM »

All the ideas you speak of are easily implementable from a mapper's view. If this map would be really fun, I don't know.
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 05:01:07 PM »

kernel panic: Since you cannot control much, it will probably get boring for the majority, sooner or later.
Did you upload the map you have? I used mediafire.com for sharing files.

missbehaving: I don't really like that site, I've seen it before. I searched there and did not find anything.

All the ideas you speak of are easily implementable from a mapper's view. If this map would be really fun, I don't know.
Thanks for the info.

At least as an experiment I think it would be interesting, small-medium + rockets. As cacatoes said, some people want to practice. Smiley

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
awatemonosan
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 12:52:35 AM »

aight, ill do it. Once i get GTKradient to behave...
heres my problem in case anyone is interested... http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2397.0

But yeah, i played a map much like what you are requesting and it wasn't very much fun but i thought of a way to make it interesting....
Imagine the whole map a giant bouncy space-wok.
so depending on where you land you bounce differently.
in the center you will bounce straight up but higher, on the far sides you will jump mostly horizontal.
Its possible to pop out of the giant pan of death but it will be preaty difficult and you will be greated by the unfriendly black void of death.

OH and about what you said...
"You are a mapper, you like the idea but you are not convinced? Name a price and we can discuss."
If i gota pay you then i quit Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: