Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: maps, soundfx and music  (Read 12920 times)
70MM13
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: December 11, 2006, 02:01:27 AM »

hey...
i just checked out your project and it looks really good!
i have 4 nexuiz maps that i created that i am offering to your project if you want some instant content Smiley
check them out on the "TECH" server (simply browse the servers using nexuiz)
direct download of the pk3's is at www.ob3lisk.com/70mm13
if you like what you see, i will convert them to your format.

i created all the music in the maps as well.  i'm primarily a music producer.  check out examples of my work at www.ob3lisk.com

i would gladly contribute sound effects to your project.  it is in desperate need of better sounds.  once you have been to my site, i think you will agree that i can help you.

tommy (70mm13)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 02:11:31 PM »

It depends on what license they are and what they were made from. If they're under a "no derivatives" and/or "non-commercial" license we can't take them.

And if the sound effects / music are derived from commercial / licensed or non-commercial sources, we can't accept them. We've had a legal problem with the old weapon sounds in the past because it used Sound Ideas-derived resources and copyrighted game sounds such as unreal 2, and was also met with "YOU CAN'T COPYRIGHT A SOUND!!!!" excuses which are never true.

For a GPL open source project I was thinking .it or .xm tracker modules made using freepats samples rendered to .oggs would be more logical as the original .it/.xm files are the "source".
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 02:15:20 PM by leileilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
70MM13
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 04:58:59 PM »

everything i do is original, and it is all "from scratch"
HanClinto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 11:32:26 AM »

leileilol, it sounds like he's willing to at least re-license a release of his maps under the GPLv2 for this project -- that sounds like a win-win situation to me. Smiley

And as far as sounds go, I'm interested in knowing more of what you are saying about how you can't accept derived sounds. What about sounds made with an electronic keyboard? I've successfully submitted music and sound effects to several open-source projects (including a couple strict GPL'ers), and I don't think we've ever run into any problems. Just because Casio might make my keyboard, that doesn't mean they have any right to the music or sound effects I create with it. Otherwise, no musical artists would be able to record an album without paying a license fee to Casio or Alesis or Yamaha.

So I guess I'm asking, are you okay with sounds recorded from a digital keyboard? Or do you only want home-grown sounds that didn't come in a stock set of synthesizer sounds?

Thanks!

--clint
MilesTeg
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 01:31:40 PM »

isn't Nexuiz already GPLed? So where is the problem?

"We are all connected"
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 07:44:36 AM »

And as far as sounds go, I'm interested in knowing more of what you are saying about how you can't accept derived sounds. What about sounds made with an electronic keyboard? I've successfully submitted music and sound effects to several open-source projects (including a couple strict GPL'ers), and I don't think we've ever run into any problems. Just because Casio might make my keyboard, that doesn't mean they have any right to the music or sound effects I create with it. Otherwise, no musical artists would be able to record an album without paying a license fee to Casio or Alesis or Yamaha.

An example of a derivitive sound would be taking iD's bfg_fire.wav from stock Q3:A and changing the pitch, upping the tempo, and overdubbing it on itself and then calling it an original work.

There shouldn't be any problem with you using your instruments to create original works. Smiley

Edwalt
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 07:34:30 PM »

i've downloaded the maps and i know nothing about adding these files.
were abouts do you put these files for them to work?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: