Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Sounds Guinea Pig  (Read 22428 times)
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« on: June 08, 2008, 11:32:28 PM »

I just want to throw it out there that I am willing to test any new sounds that may need testing for Open Arena. Audio is one of the most important parts of this game and I think I would be able to give some good opinions and advice on the sounds I hear.

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 02:14:01 AM »

That's a nice proposal, in arts too beta-testing isn't fun. :|

Perhaps you would like to start with evaluating the current sound effects?

Are there any missing ones? Is there a sounds-to-do list?

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:52:24 PM »

That's a nice proposal, in arts too beta-testing isn't fun. :|

Perhaps you would like to start with evaluating the current sound effects?

Are there any missing ones? Is there a sounds-to-do list?

Well first off, is this something that would be nice to have completed? Is this something the team would love some feedback on? Are you actually involved with this game? I thought fromhell was in charge...

But ya, I would be happy to evaluate the current sounds sooner or later here. I can already think of some sounds that could use improvement or just don't sound like they should...

One that comes to mind is the sound of the gauntlet hitting someone..that popping sound just seems outta place. I guess a sound more like the sound of a grinder of some sort actually sawing through a piece of meat would sound better. I mean, you've got to think about it from that angle right?

I'll add to this in the future. I know of some sounds that are too low or completly missing such as the sound of obtaining the haste item. Is it just me or is there no sound or a very quiet sound there?

*Logan*

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 12:24:50 AM »

qubodup is not part of the team so no he is not in charge

I have new sound effects to commit, problem is, my computer's in such a sorry state that I can't commit or even access my sounds Sad

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 04:42:14 AM »

Oh ok, well then YOU fromhell let me know if you need any opinions or suggestions on the audio. I'd love to help.

*Logan*

qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 01:06:41 PM »

I'm also not pretending that I am. If you, fromhell, get the impression that I do, tell me. I'll put a "I'm no team member" in comments where people might think I'm a dev. I'm saying things which are good advice for helping.

Oh ok, well then YOU fromhell let me know if you need any opinions or suggestions on the audio. I'd love to help.
Why are you asking? Criticism is a good thing, so I think you should just go ahead and listen to the sounds. =)

Well unless you think that in the end fromhell might not care and ignore your criticism.

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 04:00:39 AM »

Why are you asking? Criticism is a good thing, so I think you should just go ahead and listen to the sounds. =)
Well unless you think that in the end fromhell might not care and ignore your criticism.

I have listened to all the sounds, I play this game everyday. Whatever they are ok. :p

*Logan*

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 04:01:20 AM »

I did commit my new gun sounds to the SVN BTW

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 04:31:50 AM »

I did commit my new gun sounds to the SVN BTW

Which gun sounds specifically did you change? I want to get them but not sure which one.

*Logan*

Jeff Vader Jr.
Nub

Cakes 0

TEACH ME!

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »

The railgun. When you are carrying it, it creates a hum. I know that it relates to the reload of the thing, but it bugs the living daylights out of me. I can't hear footsteps as well when I carry it.

Jeff Vader Jr.
Former Star Wars Battlefront player
Openarena Player and wannabe Developer
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 09:29:17 PM »

Then don't carry it.

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 05:23:48 AM »

removing the sound of the rail gun is not a good idea. you can hear enemy players carrying the rail gun - this is vital information when you play.
for the same reason i want the humming of the lightning gun back (probably has never been in OA but it is there in quake 3).
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 12:02:31 PM »

I have the same problem with the railgun. I have tried quite a few sounds comparing them and find the default one has too much bass and the phaser effect is weak I think. When you hear an enemy it's difficult to locate them if both players are using rail.  With a faster phaser sound you tend to hear the difference in the sound pitch and can locate their position more easily.. volume doesn't make much difference as you can clearly hear a distinctive sound.

Since instagib is an option it might be something to consider. Maybe it depends on a users set up or hardware but if I am using rail and a player spawns below me I find the loud sound more a distraction since it's difficult to hear enemy locations. It also makes the walk function pointless.. which is often a good way to try sneak to a safer position if you know your enemy has better reaction/aim Cheesy

I love the lightning gun sound and think its much better than q3's. It is quiet without headphones, but loud enough for the type of weapon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: