Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with my mouse - it shoots without me clicking  (Read 11126 times)
dengar
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« on: November 15, 2008, 01:32:14 PM »

Hi,

I think I can remember having this problem some years ago in the original quake 3: very sudden and for no reason I fire a shot...
Sometimes it then, after the first shot, keeps firing and I can only interrupt the shooting sequence by shooting another round. Needless to say, this can be extremely annoying and I'd love to find a way to stop this.

Initially I thought that has something to do with the mouse polling rate, so I decided to make this a bit more frequent and then even more frequent: 1000hz...
It seems to occur less, but still happens sometimes and not at a level that I could say is playable.

I use the latest OpenArena and I run this on Ubuntu Linux 8.04, generic kernel. The mouse I'm using is a Logitech MX610 Wireless Laser Mouse. I also run this on a laptop, so a second mouse is present in form of a touch pad.

Thanks for your help!   
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:44:50 AM »

Please try the binaries from the "legacy" directory and tell us if the unexpected clicks still take place.

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
zuma
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 01:50:26 AM »

If you run linux try clicking the mouse scroll (yes!). I tell you- it does wonders. If i dont do it i cant simultaneously jump and fire (sucks to make a rocketjump).
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:23:49 AM »

This thing happens when I shoot then when my graphical environment receives an event and OA switches to windowed mode. I have to focus back to it and click shoot button so that my guy stops shooting Cheesy
But this is a usual behaviour for any graphical application, if I keep my mouse button pressed and then the focus goes on another window, the first window won't receive the "mouse button released" event.

Todo: Walk the cat.
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »

zuma, thank you. THANK YOU. I've been having this problem all the time, instead of RJ it zoomed, I had no idea why. I still don't but I can prevent it now Cheesy
Thanky you.
Rajoy
Nub

Cakes -1

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:04:06 AM »

Zuma, I don't get, what do you do to fix it? I have the same problem with RJ in linux. Often when I try to jump and fire, it thinks I click the 3rd mouse button.
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 03:10:36 AM »

Just push the third button once.
The system seems to stop sonsidering mouse1+mouse2 as mouse3 after that.
Rajoy
Nub

Cakes -1

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 03:19:15 AM »

Ok, thanks a lot!
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 10:39:51 AM »

Can't it be because of 3rd button mouse emulation ?

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

What if you set "Emulate3Buttons" to false ?

Todo: Walk the cat.
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 12:08:51 AM »

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Configured Mouse"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "CorePointer"
EndSection
in my xorg (I'm pretty sure it's the default), I'll add that option with false, see what that does.
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 12:53:59 AM »

Initially I thought that has something to do with the mouse polling rate, so I decided to make this a bit more frequent and then even more frequent: 1000hz...
It seems to occur less, but still happens sometimes and not at a level that I could say is playable.

This is a bug in the quake3 engine, the exact thing you described happens to anyone who sets their mouse to 1000hz polling rate, so it seems very strange to me that you didn't have 1000hz set originally and that it seems to occur less when you set it to 1000hz. Are you sure your mouse isn't set to 1000hz even though its settings say different? Anyway, if you have an old shitty mouse lying around try plugging that in at see if the problem still occurs; if it does it's almost certainly the polling rate on your mouse is too high.

jessicaRA
Lesser Nub

Cakes 16

Wild pony spotted derping around oasago2.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 01:02:37 AM »

i get the same unless i use in_mouse -1; in_restart.  it occasionally sneaks back to default though(for me anyway) so may have to in_restart after loading oa sometimes.  btw this is for the legacy or oa 0.7.1 this -1, im not too sure how it acts on the new mouse input.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: