Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So Source code is fawked for Vstudio users...  (Read 10339 times)
Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

Not the brightest bulb on the strand...

« on: November 20, 2008, 01:00:45 PM »

I can't think of anybody doing this on purpose...they'd have to be a really big bitch to do it on purpose...hmmmm

but the mod-sdk/engine source packages appear to be intermingled/not properly seperated...

what it does...makes it a bitch to open in vstudio...and keeps you from checking for stupid errors through test builds...
(YES I KNOW>>>IOQUAKE IS BUILT USING MINGW...NOT MSVC!)

Anybody want to check that out? 

(and if you even think about saying use a different "open source" dev environment under linux, ill fly to the south pole, take a shit on a penguin for you to show you my passion for "tux!")

ps...j/k about shitting on penguins...i just need real help not stupid comments that pontificate about the rights/wrongs or proper ways to code...

CHEERS!!!!!  :cool:
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »

You cannot build game VMs from the engine source, and you cannot build the engine binaries from the mod SDK.

The MSVC paths were removed.  If you want to use MSVC, go here or here.  I have not tried these -- you may need to get the source code from their SVN (or use revision 1432 and apply OA's diffs -- more on this if you want).

If you decide you want to use MinGW and don't already know how, it is relatively simple.

This is entirely in Windows.

You can use the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ]DeveloperFAQ and skip the first 3 instructions.

Use MinGW-5.1.4.exe, MSYS 1.0.10.exe, and directx-devel.tar.gz (put this inside your C:\MinGW and run tar xzfv directx-devel.tar.gz there from inside MSYS).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:35:00 PM by damocles » Logged
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:25:17 PM »

but the mod-sdk/engine source packages appear to be intermingled/not properly separated...
Keeping the two in sync kept creating a lot of unnecessary bugs.

If you need a complete copy you can get a complete copy of ioqauke 3 and copy game, cgame, q3_ui and maybe common on top of it.

Alternatively: Somewhere in Visual Studio you should be able to tell what parts of the code you want it to build/look at. The mod-sdk should contain the engine files needed for intellisense.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 12:42:10 PM »

So i got it to work...and completely build under MSVC...which go figure when I already sucked it up, took the plunge dl'd/installed mingw etc. etc. etc.

Now I know there are compatability issues with my build working under linux(so I'm not bragging)...but I have to say I was impressed...the exe is half the size of the release version...(BUT HELL YEAH IM BRAGGING!!!!! Smiley)

Everything is there, except the bloom rendering might be missing...which I had to get rid of r_renderbloom() call because it was causing weird build errors that were untraceable past it being called...i think it was in tr_init.c or tr_backend.c

(big fricking whoop since I'm not interested in messing with the rendering side of the engine...all the bloom does is eat resources and make shit hard to see on maps like p_vomit) 

Anyways...Much help would be appreciated with figuring out how to compile the qvm's from the dll's, so i can make a true mod that's able to run on a pure server and can be dl'd on connect...

:
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 03:50:44 AM »

bla bla ....
all you get for building oa with msvc is smaller code size and slightly faster code (not noticeable by regular human beings)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 04:43:44 AM »

all you get for building oa with msvc is smaller code size and slightly faster code (not noticeable by regular human beings)
During 0.7.6 binary testing I actually compiled a binary with MS VS 2008 in the hope that it was faster. It was a lot smaller so I assumed that it was faster (smaller usually means faster).

It was rejected by many because:
It was actually slower on many systems
It only worked on XP and Vista. You need MS VS 2003 or older to make compatible binaries.

Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 10:59:07 AM »

It was rejected by many because:
It was actually slower on many systems
It only worked on XP and Vista. You need MS VS 2003 or older to make compatible binaries.

Yeap...that's why I said the following :-)

Now I know there are compatibility issues with my build working under linux(so I'm not bragging)...

oh and....

(YES I KNOW>>>IOQUAKE IS BUILT USING MINGW...NOT MSVC!)

So just to make sure we are all on the same page...using whatever method...cuz I am honestly clueless, how do I build QVM's from dll's?

(And if I release the mod I'm working on, I will compile using mingw, not msvc)

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »

So just to make sure we are all on the same page...using whatever method...cuz I am honestly clueless, how do I build QVM's from dll's?

(And if I release the mod I'm working on, I will compile using mingw, not msvc)
You don't build qvms from dlls. You use lcc and q3asm to build the qvms directly from source. It should not matter if lcc and q3asm is compiled with mingw or msvc the final qvms should be the same.

Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »

SWEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Thanks duuuuuuddddeeee
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: