Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pistol Model  (Read 25710 times)
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« on: November 20, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »

I've been working on a possible weapon replacement that I can use. I know a revolver really doesn't fit in as a replacement, but I just want to add a personal touch to the game. I modeled the gun in Art of Illusion v2.6 and I will hopefully export it to Blender soon. I want to know what you think of it so far...

I also have a question:

I was wondering about how many polygons the average weapon has?
My gun's at ~2500 (probably way too much) but I can easily decrease that.

flamingosam
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 07:07:46 PM »

I like it!
WilgoX
Nub

Cakes 0

FM|WilgoX

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:58:08 AM »

cool, but OA have a machinegun and sniper gun.

FM|WilgoX
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 03:52:23 AM »

cool, but OA have a machinegun and sniper gun.
so?
he is aware of the fact
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 08:26:34 PM »

It's back!

Sorry for the wait Wink
It's been a month since I started my project, but I've just barely been working on and off.
I've decreased the polygons to 'bout 900 while keeping the shape. The cylinder looks weird in the picture but i think it's the antialiasing and the lighting in the render.
Still looks sexy Smiley

Unfortunately after exporting it to Blender, I couldn't create a texture map so I instead went back to Art of Illusion (probably bad idea in the long run...). I think it looks fine even without the Blender "airbrushed" look.

I know this is a dumb question but DO I need a texture map?

Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 09:22:28 PM »

Looking good! (this OA fan's opinion)

Skinless Meshes are an aquired taste. It seems to work though (i've created a few accidentally). I recommend a skin if even a simple temporary one (blender's texture paint is convenient).

If you're using Forque's fine md3 exporter, just enter the path of your texture when it asks for shader path. :S

If you're willing to post a link to your .blend file and texture I'm sure someone will be able to help you get around whatever the difficulty is.

Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »

Thanks Snickersnack!
I've posted a .blend of what I have done so far (still awhile to go). Before I can continue working,  I have two big problems...

The first, is the import&export md3 scripts don't show up in Blender and when run them outside of it, I get an erroer like this in mac os terminal:
     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "/Applications/Blender Folder/scripts/md3_export.py", line 32, in ?
         import Blender
     ImportError: No module named Blender
I read the instructions for the scripts and they said to put them in the Blender scripts folder, but when I downloaded Blender it didn't have a scripts folder. Right now I don't what I should do.

My second problem is that I'm completely new to Blender's interface and I'm just now learning how to use it. It would help me alot just to play around with one of OA builtin weapons to see how everything's set  up and all, but of course, I still can't import or export md3s.
Any ideas?

epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 08:20:25 AM »

just enter the path of your texture when it asks for shader path. :S
why the ":S" ? Tongue

@marble of doom, what version of blender do you use? I dunno about mac but it should work with blender 2.4x (without python installed)
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 03:49:40 PM »

Without python installed? Uhh.....Yah....what?
Anyway, I'm using blender 2.48a on a g4 imac os10.4. I'm also modeling using an ancient g3 ibook but thats just using Art of illusion.

epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 11:29:02 PM »

dunno it says blender module not found
but blender module comes with the blender...
I am clueless
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 04:33:55 AM »

You will need to specify again the path to Blender's included scripts, in User Preferences, File Paths.  (On Linux for example they are in a ".blender/scripts/" folder.)
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 01:34:04 PM »

Damocles...... I love you

Edit: HAHAHA ahahaah!! .....crap! I spoke too soon. I was able to export once but soon found out the file size was a whopping 0 kb and displayed a 'file may be corrupted' warning. I think the problem may lie with blender 2.48a. Right now it won't save any of my settings and when I run the scripts I get a "python script error, check console for more detail"

WHAT'S GOING ON?!?!?!!?!
  I'm about to call the Exorcist to rid my computer of its demons!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 04:04:02 PM by Marble of Doom » Logged

Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »

just enter the path of your texture when it asks for shader path. :S

why the ":S" ? Tongue

-snip-

I was using a hex editor to do this in the "Gauntlet and Blender" thread. I was looking for an "embarrassed emoticon". Perhaps this was a poor choice? Wink
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 08:45:17 PM »

Right now it won't save any of my settings and when I run the scripts I get a "python script error, check console for more detail"

Maybe you can run in or alongside a Console window (I don't have OS X installed, so I do not know.)
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 11:29:34 PM »

Hey Marbles of Doom, sorry about the delay. I had a look at your pistol and it exports for me! I use Blender 2.48.1 linux x86_64. It looks just as good in blender as your pictures.

Blender's UI is ... unique. It takes a while to get used to. It's kind of grown on me. You'll definately want to have a look at OA's existing weapons to see how they're packaged.

Regarding the export scripts, although they are python I'm pretty sure they need to be run from within Blender to work.

If the md3 exporter isn't showing up in your export menu, you can run it from the internal blender text editor. Just change say your 3d view window to a text editor window with the "window type" drop down menu. Now select the text drop down menu and hit 'open'. Find your export script where ever you left it on your hardrive and open it. You should now see a bunch of python code in the window. Now hit the text drop down menu again and select "run python script". The exporter should now be running.

Oh! Don't forget to select your mesh in object mode before exporting. Hmm ... 0kb. They may have been the problem.

Don't be discouraged! We could probably sort this out in no time in person. Smiley

I attached a picture of your model in game. I'm learning how to do player models at the moment so I just used it in place of a head. Please pardon the crappy texture.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 11:42:55 PM by Snickersnack » Logged
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »

haha revolver head FTW
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 04:09:58 PM »

Thanks for your help guys.
I just reinstalled 2.48a & the scripts, but same deal: "python error...check console...bla bla bla...." Still won't save any of my file paths in settings (I have to set them EVERY time blender is started.) .....Anyway, I checked the console like it "requested" & got this:
===== Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:57:05 PM US/Eastern =====
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "/Applications/Scripts/md3_export.py", line 39, in ?
    import md3_shared
  File "/Applications/Scripts/md3_shared.py", line 66
    if name not in ( text.getName() for text in Blender.Text.Get() ):
                                      ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

ps:I love the picture!!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 04:12:05 PM by Marble of Doom » Logged

Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 11:58:07 PM »

Hey Marbles of Doom, I'm sorry things are being so difficult. Blender has been pretty kind to me. Sad

I wonder if Python could be causing the trouble.

I took a look at the Blender download page and saw that it lists two PPC Mac binaries. One is for Python 2.3 and the other 2.5. Is there any chance you could have a Blender/ Python mismatch?  I bet something like that would cause odd behavior.

http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 03:49:19 PM »

I think you're right about python, but i've already tried the other download and it doesn't work. I'm going to try downloading the python 2.3 or 2.5 framework (i think my computer might have 2.6 but you would think they would be compatible) to see if that works. On a lighter note, I DID get the scripts to work on an Intel MacMini os 10.5 with the "custom py2.5 installation" of blender. It's not my computer, but ill try and see if I can FINALLY export my model with it.

Edit: downgrading my iMac to the 2.5 framework did the trick! Scripts are working!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:55:28 PM by Marble of Doom » Logged

Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 06:48:15 PM »

AWESOME!!! Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: