Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Keyboard Kommando thinking of getting a controller, what kind?  (Read 11834 times)
oafan
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: November 23, 2008, 05:52:30 PM »

I've always liked to play keyboard since the DOOM days, but I can't keep up in multiplayer games.  The aiming is so rough I basically just let them run in front of the crosshairs.  Singleplayer OpenArena I can set to "I Can Win" level and enjoy myself.

I don't like mouse + keyboard, have to learn new reflexes.  Can anyone recommend a better solution.

Thinking of buying a cheap controller.  I tried a SpaceOrb way back in the day, didn't like it.

Suggestions?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 05:57:35 PM »

Keep practising in ICW with mouse-keyboard. It's hard in the beginning, but when you master it, there's nothing can beat it. When you do it, you can try in the other difficulties.

Mouse: Fire (Left button)
Keyboard: WSAD/Keys (Up-Down-Strafe Left-Strafe Right... NOT FOR TURNING!!! you turn and aim by moving the mouse)

And you should set mouse sensitivity to adapt to your neccesities.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 06:18:06 PM by Armageddon_Man » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
zuma
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 03:07:15 AM »

Trackball maybe? But stay with keyboard if you really dont like mouse. But i haven't really heard of any pro gamer who uses keyboard only.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 04:28:10 AM »

Back to Duke Nukem 3D years (and prior), there were Cheesy

Todo: Walk the cat.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 04:36:40 AM »

yeh, i agree with armageddon_man - use a mouse and set forward, backwards and strafe keys it's all you need Smiley
sittingduck
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 04:58:33 AM »

I can't even imagine playing ANY first person shooter without a mouse.
It would be like playing darts blindfolded.

You really should give it a try. Stick with it, and soon you will understand.
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »

How about a Wiimote?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfPBrMlPQuE
http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie

You'll need a bluetooth dongle and a utility called glovepie. This requires Windows so I haven't tried it but it looks interesting.

Air mice are another option.
oafan
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I've been practicing keyboard + mouse single player.  If I can get my left hand to stop cramping it may work out...
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 04:06:50 AM »

cramping?

Don't use WASD but another keybinding instead that feels more pleasant. My left hand cramps on WASD too so I'm using WERD instead since Q1. To get used to the mouse aiming start with a very low mouse speed/sensitivity and increase it from time to time.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 04:24:29 AM »

yeh, WASD is useless for me too. i go with RTYB (Y - forward, B - backwards, R - strafe right, T - strafe left) that works with my keyboard anyway Smiley (qwerty)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:32:57 AM by pulchr » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 05:34:34 AM »

Wait, which language your keyboard is? Tongue

I personally use EDSF, more space for weapon binding, but I recommended WASD because that was the most classical weapon combination a lot of us (at least, initially) use.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: