Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: why isn't open arena popular?  (Read 113507 times)
Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2008, 03:29:15 PM »

4) I don't think there's too a deal with the OA maps. I think the point people make is that there are tons of customs maps available. Alot of these happen to be crap.. If you tried about 20 random ones there might be only a couple that are liked. Same will apply with OA too.

A very optimistic estimate. I should know. During the years I have downloaded and tested several hundred custom maps for Quake, Unreal Tournament and Quake III Arena and for each game maybe found 15-20 which are really good. The amount of junk in the map archives is amazing.

7) A 'new map' server is needed and people can pile in and post comments. I'm sure people would join the server and give them a good try. Disable voting cos sure as hell it'll be a ctf server with osago2 before long.  I can provide a server/s if needed but cannot manage them. I'm sure there's no shortage of people that can put up a test server.

I second that. I can also provide a test server (not 24/7, only on weekends) if needed.

Cool Yea they Q1 maps... I hope these dissapear. Just awful

Not much chance until there is something to replace them with. And IMHO it will be a loooong time :-( You know why...
RudyRailer
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2008, 03:45:59 PM »

i try to like this game but its damn hard,..yesterday my whole config was gone back to default for all gametypes,.....wtf!?!?!
Dont get me started on the maps,..all good maps dont get played or get voted.

ctf wich i like is mostly owned by the less then average players who dont know how to play a teamgame, i guess this game was made for new players in the fps genre or something. gamesettings get worse every so called update,..input is good output is so so
Its not a good game for competitive gameplay or exciting games,..
many when loosing go spec  or leave then teams get all screwed up
I think i go back to quake or pacman,...that bleep bleep sound gets me blood rushing.
or i play xbattle servers and hang there till someone joins, good games i had on there.
btw my xbattle config is still ok. mods rule! Cheesy

i heard warsow is hard to play ,..anyone here plays there if so can you tell me a little about it? i see many servers there wich are always full very very popular so it seems.

Oa will die out i think anyway because well,..you kno why  ,..  hint: egotistical
to bad

fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2008, 03:59:40 PM »

Jack Thompson might still have a warsow server up. I tried it but I was too good at it :S (i wish - i got fed with dying and never played it again).

Yes my game crashed and my config reverted back to default. Feature or bug?

You can play xbattle using quake. I do. Only thing is that 081 is on protocol 71.. so you'd need to compile ioquake3 for it to work or get someone else to do it. Cheesy There is no client/mismatch errors or anything.. works perfectly.
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »

Not much chance until there is something to replace them with. And IMHO it will be a loooong time :-( You know why...

It should also be pointed out that the common people do not have the privelage to contact the admin here. Perhaps it would be useful if there was some contact list.. even if it needs to be passed up the chain. :S

The concern is that quite alot of people will assume that their contribution is not welcome. It isnt nice to spend time writing a message to be kicked with a message..  'your not important enough to speak to me'. Thats how it will come accross to many ppl.

Maybe there should be a 'map bitch' Cheesy  someone who you can freely pass along feedback without feeling unworthy.

I dont know much about maps to be honest.. but I would certainly try to help if I could, and I'm sure lots of other people would too.. even if it's just opinions or feedback.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2008, 05:22:00 AM »

Big thanks to Peter Silie and Cacatoes,
I appreciate critics that help to improve game content (maps in my case) as playtesting is a difficult task and is not well done in the OA community. What you say will influence future changes of the game.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »

I appreciate critics that help to improve game content (maps in my case) as playtesting is a difficult task and is not well done in the OA community. What you say will influence future changes of the game.

but one thing to notice: your textureskills are the best (imho. and i just know the ctf-maps)! maybe you can make 2.0-Versions of the following maps:
inyard: reduce the way between the flags. remove the lava on the bottom and remove the pillars in the flagroom. this could help to make the map faster and playable for groups in a range of 6-16 ppl (try map now with 6 ppl: you never see an enemy;-)).
compromise: try it without fog. i think that the map should have a chance!
gate1: remove pillars and make platforms instead of them?

i do not know if it will help, but maybe someone can setup a maptestserver? the server should have the newest releasecandidates of maps to come. if we have some luck, the community will test them and report issues at the forum.

btw: can someone do a remake of reptctf3 and reptctf11? these maps seems simple to create (for me as a non-mapper) but are very funny to play. if you do not know them, you can play them at the evil|arena.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2008, 05:46:22 PM »

I was also thinking of some test servers, especially if all maps are GPL I already set a mirror for http downloading.
I've got two servers which are always empty, ping isn't the best, but that should be more than okay to test maps.

I'll work at it soon I think Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2008, 05:55:53 PM »

I downloaded a custom map from lvlword which was one of the good ones and was suprised to see that several people had spent 1-2 years on it. Their goal was to deliver a perfect multiplayer map.

Is it not possible for more than one person to dedicate efforts to each map and go through them one by one. Each map is tested by playing it on a test server and it might help other people making maps at different levels after sharing ideas. That would also help get people playing on a map at one time. Just a thought.

Also gives players an oppertunity to kick the map makers ass in their own creation Tongue
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »

A few things...

ps37ctf is lacking in details, yes. I tried earlier to add buildings in the distance, but with the particular sky that ps37ctf uses, it won't work the way I want unless I add yet another large wall around those distant buildings (which I don't want). Other skies look like crap. I'll keep trying though. Changed around the floor texture and some walls for ps37ctf3.

Cosmo's ctf_gate1 is a good map if you ignore the weapon layout. The biggest issue is that the chaingun is right next to the flag. It's much unfair to walk near the flag and have someone spawn, grab chaingun, and rape you. Oh, if you do make it out, someone spawns and rapes you with chaingun in a few seconds anyway. I think that the chaingun should be where nailgun is (No chaingun ammo right next to chaingun) and shotgun near flag. Weapon/item layout could be better. Mostly, having the chaingun so very available is the problem. It's too powerful to have 2 seconds away right when you spawn.

ctf_compromise could use the fog for its theme, but seriously not so dense. It's unplayable at that density. By the way, it needs some clipping around the flag, I have fun going up there and walking under the level.

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2008, 08:45:18 AM »

@cacatoes: it would be great if you could do a maptestserver! thx
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2008, 08:17:20 PM »

Imho, all the maps conversions from q1 maps, sucks... those levels were never intended nor designed to be mp, nor played in quake3 engine, those were 1p campain maps adjusted to be mp... its nice to remember them, and all... but remembering is one thing and another thing is that almost all dm servers run those maps coz they are in baseoa/

-snip-

Huh? The OA's Quake maps aren't from the single player campaign (well other than house of cheesethon). They're from the special "Deathmatch Arena" episode. They were specifically designed for deathmatch.

I for one love these maps. Whoever retextured DM3 and DM5 did a beautiful job. I think id was very generous to free these.
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2008, 11:18:14 PM »

One of the things I find that bothers me is this.

I'm in a level and I'm shooting at someone. He's shooting at me and when I move to shoot at him from a different angle, he's still shooting at me from where I was a few seconds ago. His ping is fine. The problem is he still sees me in my previous position because his config is the default one.

The default config is meant for computers that are like 10 years old. No one has a dialup 28.8 modem anymore (heck, dialup ISP's hardly exist anymore). No one has 128 MB of ram anymore. No one needs the game to run at 80 FPS or whatever. A newcomer comes and he's frustrated because people on his screen literally disappear and re - appear behind him because his FPS is too slow relative to the person in front of him who already knows how to adjust his FPS. He shoots and he misses the person he shoots at because by the time he sees the person to shoot them, in actuality, the person is already 10 feet away and has fraged like 10 other people. I have to explain to everyone how to set their settings and even then I have to explain to half of these people how to respond to my questions (ie: asking them what their FPS is) by pressing the ~ button. The default config should be adjusted. The settings should automatically be at DSL/LAN/Cable. maxfps should be set to 125 by default. cl_maxpackets should be like 125 or whatever. Rate should be maybe 25000 with sv_fps maybe 40.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:21:21 PM by Corvette » Logged
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2008, 11:45:41 PM »

Also, players should have the option to vote the bots out without having them come back. Sometimes the bots just overcrowd the map and other times people just want to play without them. If people want the bots again, they can vote them back in, or perhaps the bots can automatically come back if no human is in the server. Or, maybe the bots can automatically come back when the level changes or when that particular round ends and a new one starts, in which case, the people can vote them out again.  If one person really wants to play against bots he can always play in single player mode.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:02:10 AM by Corvette » Logged
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2008, 01:47:01 AM »

maxfps should be set to 125 by default. cl_maxpackets should be like 125 or whatever. Rate should be maybe 25000 with sv_fps maybe 40.

naa.. its good to have the choice. also server admins can set the range so it's no big deal
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2008, 03:01:53 AM »

Maxpackets at 125? I am a happy user of maxpackets 40, my ping went down by 15-30 %, you only really need 125 for defrag... Otherrwise I agree, the default config should be better (snaps, maxfps, rate, maybe an installer that wuold ask ppl how is their connection)
RudyRailer
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2008, 09:16:34 AM »

Maxpackets at 125? I am a happy user of maxpackets 40, my ping went down by 15-30 %, you only really need 125 for defrag... Otherrwise I agree, the default config should be better (snaps, maxfps, rate, maybe an installer that wuold ask ppl how is their connection)

There is an option in the gamemenu that asks you what your connection is try the Network option in system.
Many settings that influence the connection shoudl stay as they are imo, simply because, not everybody has the same connection.
Player from country x  with 125 maxpackets  and a player form country y with 40 maxpackets can have a smooth game on the same server. it all depends on system and location.
So setting these cvars to other valeus has no use @ all simply because people still need to set these to there own location and connectionspeed.

Snaps 40 i think benefits all players from anywhere so this could be default 40 instead of 20

Best thing is to have a good tutorial that explains what a setting does so people can adjust cvars to theyre specs and liking.
there is a good links for this to be found In topic Usefull links in the general section.
But i also will put it here

http://q3eu.com/site/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=67

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:48:55 AM by RudyRailer » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2008, 07:45:50 AM »

7) A 'new map' server is needed and people can pile in and post comments. I'm sure people would join the server and give them a good try. Disable voting cos sure as hell it'll be a ctf server with osago2 before long.  I can provide a server/s if needed but cannot manage them. I'm sure there's no shortage of people that can put up a test server.
In fact, you can decide which maps you want to be votable in your server with g_VoteMaps, which gametypes you want to be votables with g_VoteModes, and which variables shoud be votable with g_VoteNames.

An example:
Code:
seta g_voteGametypes "/0/1/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/" //No Single DOM or Single Player at list.
seta g_voteMaps "/am_mckinleyish/am_galmevish2/ps9ctf/ps5ctf/q3dm6ish_ctf/blitzkrieg2/oa_koth2/q3dm6ish-v3/am_lavaarena/am_lavactf/am_lavactfxl/q3tourney6ish-ctf/" //Only maps you want to be votable.
seta g_voteNames "/map_restart/nextmap/map/g_gametype/kick/clientkick/" //Only commands you want to be changeable by players.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2009, 10:51:04 PM »

Another thing I think we should be able to do is pause the game (ie: go into spectator mode) without losing all of our frags (say someone needs to go to answer the phone real quick). In order to prevent people from going into spectator mode only when they're about to get hit, there should be like a 12 second delay from the time they hit pause and the time they go into spectator mode (and another 12 second delay to enter back into the game) and they should lose one frag whenever they go into spectator mode with the intent of not losing all of their frags.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2009, 03:43:30 AM »

being able to pause the game is a good idea in official games between clans/teams, but i really think it will be misused on public servers and in the ffa mode.
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2009, 02:43:17 PM »

pulchr
being able to pause the game is a good idea in official games between clans/teams, but i really think it will be misused on public servers and in the ffa mode.

While I think my last post does greatly reduce pause abuse, after thinking about it now it seems like a bit of a hack. I think a better thing to do is, instead of having the person lose a frag when they pause the game (they should not), make it such that as soon as they hit the spectator button there is a timer that counts to twelve. After the very next time they get fragged after the 12 second mark they go into spectator mode without losing any frags. That way, the person who fragged them gets his/her frag counted towards his/her score making it impossible for someone to evade getting fragged by simply pausing the game. At the same time, the person who paused the game by going into spectator mode does not lose his score. It's a win - win situation, if I'm chasing you and you know you're going to get fragged by me soon so you hit the pause button to avoid me fragging you, the game will not pause for you until AFTER I frag you (or until after someone else frags you). If I frag you, that frag gets counted towards my score (or if someone else frags you, it gets counted towards their score). Also, once you are in spectator mode, you should not be able to re - enter the game until after 12 seconds of being in spectator mode.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2009, 07:09:40 AM »

Just posting to say... if you want OA to be better, help sago and others to test new binaries and OAE stuff, or us to test maps in the beta test server, instead of just whining and say "OA sux so b4d, m4ps 4re s0 4wful and 1t w1ll suck for3v3r"... Roll Eyes

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
befno
Half-Nub

Cakes -6

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2009, 11:18:51 PM »

Maybe a good way to make OA more popular would be to make it less prominent in the complete suckass department.  Wink
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2009, 06:38:46 PM »

Maybe a good way to make OA more popular would be to make it less prominent in the complete suckass department.  Wink
==>
It's easy to be a Q3Boy/QLBoy and say "OA sucks, go QL/Q3!!!", but helping out to try to make it better, or at least helping developers/mappers/modellers/etc saying what's wrong and what changes/fixes should be made in the game... that's another story.
Just posting to say... if you want OA to be better, help sago and others to test new binaries and OAE stuff, or us to test our maps in the beta test server, instead of just whining and say "OA sux so b4d, m4ps 4re s0 4wful and 1t w1ll suck for3v3r"... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:00:51 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »

I think Neon_Knight, the big problem with oa is that the developers (or should I say fromhell?) don't want the game to go in a competitive direction, or are actualy opposed to this, so helping out isn't really the issue - and there are enough good third-party maps for the quality of oa's maps not to matter too much, other than some of them maybe getting played more than they deserve.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2009, 08:59:41 PM »

I know of that, I try to avoid to post in some threads (I read all the threads) to avoid problems I don't want.
But I hate those plane-"OAsux" comments coming from people who have never helped with the project.

Anyways, I'll stop posting in this thread.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: