Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bloom reflection effect  (Read 21173 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: October 21, 2011, 01:25:08 AM »

look what I hacked up

Obviously too distracting for a default option, it's actually quite a simple tr_bloom.c edit

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:21:34 AM »

Looks sunny and warming, though a bit imperfect and overdistracting as you said. Liz would love it.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 05:55:20 AM »

Can you filter it by source? The reflection coming from the skybox is neat, but the flag and explosions seem unrealistic.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:03:30 AM »

Very nice, it looks better than classic lens flare... but maybe it is distracting (more items cause bloom than lens flare).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:16:48 AM »

I love that effect.

Distracting but nice.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »

Looks cool, but I would immediately turn it off, just like rocket smoke Smiley

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 01:50:43 PM »

The effect is cool, but it should be only limited to sky boxes and some other light sources, not rockets and grenades and such because it's really weird and distracting.

In defeat we learn.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 02:09:01 PM »

This is the new bloom function (combined with tcpp's cascaded bloom)

http://openarena.ws/crap/tr_bloom.c

it's a bit of a mess. What i'd like to do is use one more bloom texture with only the skybox and flares, with some depthwrite/read magic

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 04:13:43 AM »

is oa too dark?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 04:52:00 AM »

Unlplayable, but nice "trip"...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 05:17:36 AM »

Look at all those pretty colors Cheesy With this oa goes from "too dark" to too colorful, but unplayable.

In defeat we learn.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 06:51:14 AM »

Ehe, that's experimental, I like it. The railgun hum is sweet, saturation gives analogic warmth.

Consider making the videos public.

Todo: Walk the cat.
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 07:51:47 AM »

reflection bloom would give me a headache.  Ouchies.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 05:24:54 AM »

Talking about Bloom ("classic" bloom, not the new effect Fromhell proposed above!)... I just tried with latest executable (22) and OAX (B50), and two bugs are still there.
One is the effect that, when it "exits" from the screens, appears for some pixels on the opposite side of the screen.
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3578.msg33455#msg33455
The other is: if "bloom" is enabled (r_bloom 1) and the texture quality is set to 16 bits (r_texturebits 16), some sort of semi-transparent square appears on the bottom left corner of the screen. (first said here).

rambokalle
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 05:46:26 AM »

One is the effect that, when it "exits" from the screens, appears for some pixels on the opposite side of the screen.
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3578.msg33455#msg33455
...[/url]).

There seems to be some bloom texture clamping issues in tr_bloom.c, so occasional bleeding on the screen edges can appear. This is really easy to fix, for example:

Code:

data = ri.Hunk_AllocateTempMemory( bloom.screen.width * bloom.screen.height * 4 );
Com_Memset( data, 0, bloom.screen.width * bloom.screen.height * 4 );
#ifdef GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE
bloom.screen.texture = R_CreateImage( "***bloom screen texture***", data, bloom.screen.width, bloom.screen.height, qfalse, qfalse, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE );
#else
bloom.screen.texture = R_CreateImage( "***bloom screen texture***", data, bloom.screen.width, bloom.screen.height, qfalse, qfalse, GL_CLAMP );
#endif
ri.Hunk_FreeTempMemory( data );

data = ri.Hunk_AllocateTempMemory( bloom.effect.width * bloom.effect.height * 4 );
Com_Memset( data, 0, bloom.effect.width * bloom.effect.height * 4 );
#ifdef GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE
bloom.effect.texture = R_CreateImage( "***bloom effect texture***", data, bloom.effect.width, bloom.effect.height, qfalse, qfalse, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE );
#else
bloom.effect.texture = R_CreateImage( "***bloom effect texture***", data, bloom.effect.width, bloom.effect.height, qfalse, qfalse, GL_CLAMP );
#endif
ri.Hunk_FreeTempMemory( data );
bloom.started = qtrue;

Now the bleeding should be gone.  Wink
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 06:08:45 AM »

From what I know, Fromhell already fixed that "bleeding" problem in version 25 executables (see). Maybe (s)he may compare the two solutions, maybe one is more efficient than the other one?

Anyway, if you are comfortable with bloom source code, maybe you may fix and resolve the other bloom problem that affected 0.8.5 executables: if texture quality was set to 16 bit, a strange semi-transparent "square" appeared in the lower left corner of the screen. Fromhell "worked around" that (again, from version 25 executables) by forcing bloom to shutdown itself unless the user had previously forced 32 bit textures (FH said that bloom was never designed to work with 16 bit textures): for me it's not a problem to do have bloom with 16 bit textures, but it's a problem to have people need to manually force another option -leaving default texture quality disables bloom, too- with no clear instructions in menu nor console to help users to understand what they have to do! Maybe you may find a fix for that 16 bit problem, and then that auto-disabling check may be removed?

OpenArena 0.8.8 executables will also introduce a new bloom version, called "Cascaded blur" or "Cascaded bloom". This should have been the new default, but we found a problem with it (something that may resemble the "bleeding" bug, but not exactly the same, see this screenshot) and its author said he will not be able to work on it before march or similar... so for the moment the new kind of bloom has been disabled by default.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 06:26:52 AM »

Great visual effect! And it seems to be not take too much cpu cycles. I like it!

Will it ever be implemented in OA? Please write it down on the TODO list, the effect is very cool!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 06:47:49 AM »

IICR, it's already present in 0.8.8.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »

IICR, it's already present in 0.8.8.

Really? I thought it was the other version of the bloom effect. Great!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »

Then, how to enable it? Are you sure you are not confusing this with cascaded blur/cascaded bloom?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 06:17:40 PM »

It's r_bloom_reflection we're talking about?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 06:20:30 PM »

Sounds likely. You are the first that mentions that variable. I'll have to check this...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: