Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: a mapping contest??  (Read 6900 times)
onykage
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« on: December 10, 2008, 12:13:14 AM »

TFC was a funny map contest. Grin
I wonder when we can do something like that at OpenArena. Grin (A map contest, obviously Tongue)
It will be the "Make Something OpenArena Contest" 2KX lol...

You know i tossed around this very idea about 2 weeks ago.

I could probably put together a really decent prize package for this depending on the turnout.  The contest wouldn't be able to end until around the new year to allow for everyone who entered to compete the project and submit their entry.  Would probably take at least a week to determine the winners.

I myself would require at least 10 entries for something like this.  That would make it more fair, and create a 1/10 odds of winning.

Supposing there were 10 interested entries, I could easily put together a prize ladder of something like the following.

1st place $50.00 US via PayPal
2nd place $25.00 US via PayPal
3rd place $10.00 US via PayPal

Depending on the turnout, I might be able to scratch up some extra bonus prizes for the top 3 entries.  Stuff like some graphics cards, ram, or maybe even a completely custom OA gaming PC case.

Also,
If fromhell will grant OA's full support on this, It might be a possibility that the top 3 placed entries would be added to the next OA release.  But, again, that's up to fromhell.

Please post your comments.  The more the better.  I'll have another look at this thread in about a week to check its progress.  fromhell, if you could, pm me so we can talk about OA's support on this if you deem it as a good idea.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:30:07 AM »

I like the idea a lot.

Getting the 3 top entries into the next release of OA: When maps are GPL, 'finished', and fully working with OA I don't see why they should not be included. I just wouldn't include any top 3 maps if they don't fit into the game.

Onykage you should think about some rules and a kind of frame for this contest. eg textures to be used, theme, size, gametypes, remakes, ...
Maybe it should be a contest for the missionpack as there are only a few CTF maps yet that support the new gametypes.

I'm not sure if you find enough mappers to participate. Although there are several new these days it's been pretty dry during the last 9 months.

Explanation:
I know of mapping contests where mappers were allowed to use up to 11 different textures only.
Or the map should not exceed boundaries of -1024 to 1024 units in any direction. Theme could be spacemaps or dungeons or water based or industrial or ...

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 07:02:04 AM »

(More than a mapping contest, we need a modelling contest. Tongue)

I'll finish at the last position here with any of my maps. Cheesy

Maybe we can use map themes based on the SP. Cheesy (Generic, Industrial, Space, Dungeons, Ancient Temples, Gothic, Castle-based Tongue)

Seriously talking: beside of what I said on map themes, we should spread the word to any Q3/OA mapper we know.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
onykage
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 07:44:19 AM »

well thats why I said, if fromhell will get on the train with me on this, I can push this pretty hard.  Ive got $150 in google ad works saved up that I dont use, among other resources.

Themes not a problem, I got rules and themes in mind.  mission pack was a thought too.  The thing I gotta come up with is judges.  People who know the game, and or 3d design.

And yeah, I wouldnt just suggest that any map be added into the next release.  They would obviously have to be well built, and a good layout, with completely gpl textures.
Gl!tch
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 07:22:04 AM »

nice idea, i would have a crack at this for sure
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:26:11 AM »

i'll donate to this.. i dont see why not. worthy cause me thinks Cheesy
Pages: [1]