Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: oasago2 FPS problem  (Read 12891 times)
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« on: December 14, 2008, 07:45:26 AM »

Hi
I really like the sago's castle map (as well as apparently everyone), but my FPS doesn't. When I am at the flag, 125. When I am at the Lightning, lookin at the bridge, 50-70, when on the rail platform looking at the bridge, 70-100.
Not even setting the graphics to "Fastest" (VGA, 16 bit colours, ets.) improves it. Only other map I have similar problem is Pillcity.
Is it only ma PC's problem or is it a general issue?
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:29:03 AM »

Sago optimized the map a bit since, check http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=622.msg20070#msg20070

I don't play the map often but I think I experience the same kind of FPS drop.

Todo: Walk the cat.
zuma
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:06:09 AM »

Everyone has this problem.
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 01:17:28 AM »

Pity. It's a good map otherwise, only the speeds on strafing could go better witn a higher FPS Cheesy
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 06:26:12 AM »

I get like 18-25 on it. Impossible to aim.

fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 06:26:52 PM »

Ye some maps, in fact too many maps have this issue.

People probably lower too many graphics when they dont need to but these will improve things considerably..

screen res = 800 width or so

cg_marks 0
cg_drawgun 0
cg_detailedtextures 0 (or maybe detailtextures?)
r_lodbias 2

do a vid_restart and play for a few mins before checking to see if theres an improvement. Better still, try it after quitting the game but ensure these are set before playing

It's not actually lower fps that causes this problem as you might have guessed, it's the change when it drops 40 fps when jumping then rises again. Might be worth trying com_maxfps 87 - this is certainly better than a changing fps if the maxfps is 125.

And no, not everyone likes this map.. i hate it Cheesy I used to like it until I played it for too long maybe and just see it on too many servers. It's a great map for learning on though.

18-25 fps? wow.. thats a challenge and a half Cheesy

I wonder if pmove_fixed is default as 1 on the servers.. cos if its not then it would become impossible to hit or do anything.. and you just shoot things by accident Cheesy

make sure cg_pmove_fixed = 1 on the client. That should compensate for loss in speed when fps changes. A good indication that its off is that when you jump you feel it kinda bouncy and dont seem to go forward much.

pmove_fixed isnt perfect though. It's network dependant so I think you need cl_maxpackets 125 for it to be effective.

menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 12:38:22 AM »

Thanks for responses Smiley
cg_marks 0
cg_drawgun 0
cg_detailedtextures 0 (or maybe detailtextures?)
r_lodbias 2
I already use these, for better visibility and FPS in general.
As i told, i tried the map with ridicolously low visual settings, looked like a Gameboy game, horrible to look upon, but still max 70 fps.
Sad
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:47:45 AM »

I have this problem on oasago2 if I've had the game open a while (played 4 or 5 maps), though if I restart oa fps will be fine again - real problem for me though isn't the fps though the input lag that comes with it, mouse becomes really unresponsive and has random sensitivity in middle section of map. It isn't a gfx problem though as I play with extremely low graphics and have a fairly good system. I would hazard a guess sago didn't caulk the map properly, if it all, or there are many brushes intersecting each other in the mid section.

fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 12:59:58 AM »

Yeah... like you said it makes no difference.

I found the same. I even went as far as halving the dimensions of EVERY texture and model file.  I kinda realised that reducing the graphics detail was not worth it.. there is little gain (except for the obvious highlighted above).

For people used to q3, then maybe its differences between Direct3d / OpenGL  .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_OpenGL_and_Direct3D

(my understanding lies within the first few sentences Cheesy )

fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 01:07:22 AM »

I have this problem on oasago2 if I've had the game open a while (played 4 or 5 maps), though if I restart oa fps will be fine again

Yea.. thats exactly the problem.. although this sounds like something that you would expect on windows 98 :/

If it is some mapping issue then the problem is probably quite mild on this map. Like you say, it seems to have a knock on effect on map changes and a restart (even reboot) seems the only way to be sure of stability
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 01:30:39 AM »

this is mumbo jumbo to me but had this note saved from somewhere.. dont think it affected me anyway..

Right click on desktop -->
properties - settings -->
advanced -->
graphics card name -->
additional properties -->
OpenGL Settings -->
vertical sync -->
always off
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 04:03:39 AM »

It affects you quite much, without Vsync disblad your framerate will not be higher that your screen's refresh rate
jessicaRA
Lesser Nub

Cakes 16

Wild pony spotted derping around oasago2.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 09:46:12 PM »

for some odd reason vsync doesn't work for me anyone on oa(r_swapinterval 1).
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 10:41:43 AM »

I got a new system which is light years better than the one across the room in bits.

Loaded OA.. averaging about 60fps and bouncing up and down.

Went to display options and turned off or changed stuff to performance. There are other options which I left as I didnt know what they do.

Didnt make much difference. Tried Q3 and wasn't much better. Noticed all the weapon effects were smoother and quality is much better. Still using my 800 res and basic screen settings

My system (in bits) could work with 125fps no problem... well mostly with the exception of some maps. Seems performance hardware is a bit of a false economy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: