Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: reloaded: hydronex  (Read 64649 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 02:52:19 PM »

I'm dazed... -.-

By now, that's the version you got, I'll see in a week or two what more can be improved, but yes, I should spread ammo and weapons a little bit more. In the entire map, uncounting spawn spots, there are a big RL spread, 4 in total, so I'll see how can I spread more weapons, (I tried to leave the weapon & ammo placement as it is, with the exception of Rail ammo, which has been deleted) maybe I'll replace Plasma and Shotgun at spawnpoints with RL and other weapon.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 04:14:35 PM »

I didn't test it thoroughly, if you used the same count of RL then forget my remark Wink - but yes, there could be something to do with spreading weapons

Todo: Walk the cat.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 09:04:14 PM »

The smaller flag rooms are a lot better, and the jump pads are pretty cool.

I didn't like the Regeneration powerup in the middle of the map, there is already plenty of health with the megahealths in both bases.  So I suggest something different there, perhaps the red armor.
I replayed today this map in OAA server, and I've come to conclusion to left it, for two reasons:
1- There aren't many maps with Regen on it, specially on the CTF side (I guess only Delta and PS37CTF have Regen there, thus I didn't see oa_bases7, but I doubt it could have that item)
2- Because it makes the map more interesting, and could lead to more interesting matches (I hope) which won't end in borings 1-0, 2-0, like the old Hydro. Specially with those jumppads.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 02:35:43 PM »

Well, I know a lot of you have at least played once this map, since it is at Nemesis, and fortunately now the version at Nemesis is the most recent one. I hear your suggestions. Cheesy

Only three things I'd like to note:

- Regen will remain. There should be maps with Regen in OA, since ps37ctf will get rid of it. In Missionpack, Regen will be replaced by Kamikaze or Invulnerability, thus I want to make a secret underwater tube with another special item in it.

- I thought to make changes to weapon & ammo placement. Middle zone is completely empty, I'd like to put some ramps there. Ammo is too close to their respective weapon in most cases. My ideas are to switch Plasma & Prox outside, Shotgun & Rocket at flag base, and spread ammo and health everywhere, in order to make map more interesting than it is actually. I'd like to note that item placement will be the same at both sides of the map.

- Other of my ideas, to keep neutral objectives in 1FCTF and Harvester, is to make a wall with a center hole. Something like the pics attached to this post.

Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 12:42:57 AM »

My only suggestion for hydro would be to add more ways to get in and out of the enemy baes. As it stands, all ways in/out lead to a single point, one easily defendable.  This makes attacking in hydronex very difficult, and the game comes to a stalemate very quickly, especially in large games with many defenders.

Neon Knight, I like your new version of hydro better, as it does accomplish this a little, it makes attacking a feasible option! Cheesy
however, I would like to see another way out of the hydro base :X

From the top view:
l B             F 1xxxxxxx1
l                  l              l
l                  l               <<
l__________________l

F = flag
B = bounce pad (direction is right and high)
1 = Wall on bottom floor, opening through top floor
< = ramp(to the outside)

The only thing I added here is the bounce pad to the opening through the top of the wall, the bridge to the outside

The next model:
       ___
       l Al
____l   l_______________
l                                 l
l                  l              < <
l                F l             l
l                  l               <<
l___      _______ * ___l____
l                wwwwwwwwww
l B             wwwwwwwwww
l________________________

F = flag
< = ramp leading to the outside
A = Armor or some other goodie
B = Bounce pad, over the water and into the outside(maybe add armor shards or 5 healths over the course of the flight distance)
w = water, maybe add some goodie like armor at the bottom

I kinda like the first one better, but this one is still good. It should give the player a bit of speed off the bounce pad as they exit into the open area. It would be good to connect the room with water in it to the rest of the map somehow, ie at where the * is. Maybe a window, or even an opening big enough to let a person in. You could remove the room with the A in it, and replace it with another water room.

those are just a couple ideas, both would allow ways out from getting the flag, and with a rocket jump, a way in to steal the flag. They both lead to the common area, but at least there is more ways out to keep defenders on their toes. Giving the players options is the primary concern here. Maybe both ideas could be used, in order to give the player as many options as possible ^_^
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:51:21 AM by Gerbil » Logged

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 11:41:52 AM »

Two more ways to enter to bases was something I thought since I took Hydronex to work on it.

Anyways, I've made a LOT of work on Hydro. I'll be uploading the map soon, but to keep you informed:

I guess this will be completely different to Hydro2. Tongue

Changes:
- Middle wall extended to all center area, plus made 3 connections between blue & red sides. One of these is for neutral items (White flag/skull generator) and the other 2 are just simple passages.
- Added a connection between the two underwater sewers, which has a Quad Damage and a breathing pool. This Quad has a duration of 45 sec, since 15 of those secs will be inverted in getting out of the water. Cheesy
- Added two more access to flag base from the outside area. There're now 4 ways to enter to the flag base.
- Big, HUGE weapon & item placement changes. In the spawn room you'll find Rail and Prox, but no ammo for them. In the flag base area you'll find Rocket & Shotgun. In the two mini-houses between sniper spots and flag bases there're Grenade and Chaingun. In the original Rail place on the last Hydro2 you'll find Lightning Gun. Alongside of the sniper spot you'll find Plasma & Nailgun. Also, I've assured that ammo for weapons are a little bit far from their respective weapon spawn. You won't find Lightning ammo near Lightning gun, for example. You won't find Rail slugs near sniper spots.
- Added two more water ramps.
- Changed launchpads, these won't be diagonal anymore.
- Added more 5-health, 25-health, 50-health and armor shards to map.
- Changed Combat armor in water area for Body armor.
- Arrows guiding to bases.
- Minor structural changes.

Resuming, map has now these weapons:
- Shotgun
- Grenade
- Rocket
- Plasma
- Railgun
- Lightning
- Nailgun
- Chaingun
- Prox

And these powerups:
- Quad Damage
- Regeneration

BUT... you won't be able(I guess) to be an awesome "berserker" (quad+regen) in more than... let's say... 15 sec. Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »

There you have, b1 available for download here. ^^
Hope you like the changes, and of course, please comment. Smiley

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 04:03:07 PM »

i did a short test and it seems well to me.
the weaponplacement could be changed if we have some practice with this new map. i liked the old jumppads more than the new ones, but the middlearea is now much more interesting.
i hope, that hydronex2 will make its way in an post-8.1-release.
oa needs more playable maps and this one could be a candidate.

thx again for your work!
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »

The changes are really nice Smiley, having those extra entrances/exits will definitely help the gameplay. The middle part will defiantly be interesting to play in, looking forward to that Smiley; it will also help prevent railcamping which is good. I can't wait to try it out Smiley

The items need to be moved around a bit however:
In the spawn room, you need to get the rail out of there. By having the rail in the spawn room, you are asking for games of pure rail. Have a rail outside the spawn room, and have it somewhere out of the way. Somewhere in the side hallway would be best. This is to discourage everyone from getting a rail and making the game a campfest.
I kinda like the prox launcher in the spawn room, however I think you should remove the mine ammo, as it calls for mine spam Sad
Another rocket launcher pickup would be nice, as it is such a fundamental tool in a typical game. Perhaps in the middle area, one on the left and right side so you will pass one if you go to the other base.
A good aim is to have the 'power weapons' far away from where people spawn. The rail, rocket, and lightning would be power weapons. It is good to have something like a shotgun near to where you spawn.

all in all, good work so far Smiley

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »

I'll add to weapon/ammo changes the naming of domination_points, and hinting is another issue...

All in all, I hope this can be the definitive proof that everything can be improved and there isn't "ultrasucky maps which can't be fixed at all". Smiley
Specially, very specially, with open-source projects like OA. ^^

menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 01:23:11 AM »

I tried the version found on your blog and it's quite nice, only the lateral entrances hold too much health: you can get a full 100 health as you are flagrunning. Consider removing one 50 health, maybe.
I like the weapons are scattered around, imo you did a great job on it, let's hope hydronex will cause less voting now Cheesy
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 03:27:50 PM »

I tried the version found on your blog and it's quite nice, only the lateral entrances hold too much health: you can get a full 100 health as you are flagrunning. Consider removing one 50 health, maybe.
I like the weapons are scattered around, imo you did a great job on it, let's hope hydronex will cause less voting now Cheesy
Yes, I have to make a lot of changes to item & weapon placement, I wasn't too happy too with it...

(PD: ¿Podremos hablar en español por acá? Tongue)

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 06:11:11 PM »

I hope this will be the final job to be done to this map. It's uploading now... screenshots won't be neccesary since there's no structural changes made to the map.

Resuming:
- Hinting. I hope it works...
- Weapon replacements:
  * Spawn rooms: Replaced Railgun for Shotgun. Also added Shells & Bullets.
  * Flag room: Replaced Rocket Launcher for Plasmagun & Shotgun for Rocket Launcher.
  * Left entrance: (from Flag Base room) Replaced Chaingun with Lightning Gun.
  * Right entrance: (from Flag Base room) Replaced Grenade Launcher with Railgun.
  * Outside, behind Sniper tower: Replaced Lightning Gun with Grenade Launcher.
  * Outside, at the left of Sniper Tower: Replaced Plasmagun with Chaingun.
- Redistributed ammo. Mine Layer only have one ammo box, and is at the middle area in each base.
- Deleted two 50-health items at bases, and moved the other two more forward.
- target_locations have now their messages well done. Smiley
- Removed 5 health-5 items in front of sniper tower.

EDIT: It's uploaded. Download from here. Smiley

If you think it's ready to go, then the map will have the -b2 out of its name, and will be committed. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:27:23 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 01:01:25 AM »

I just gave it a quick glance and:
You probably forgot to delete two 25 healths in red base, they are in one point wit the plasma/grenade ammo, screens here and here, this is makes the bases unballanced.

I walked out of the spawn room with 30 SG ammo, just to find 10 more in the flagroom, that is quite a lot of firepower, quite the same with machinegun, i maxed ammo out in the spawn room.

I generally disliked the amo/weapon placement, I hate it when I have a lot of ammo and no gun to fire it (when I finally located the Lightning gun, I had 120 ammo already).  This will probably be solved by training there and getting to know the layout Smiley

PS: Si podemos hablar espanol, claro, pero es un foro internacional, pues no parece muy educado. Me gustaria mas encontrarte dentro del juego Smiley
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009, 06:48:29 PM »

I'll update Hydronex2. This time it will be simply renamed to Hydronex. I hope fromhell won't have any problem with it if I send it again to recommit, and ask for b2 to be removed. :/

EDIT: Changes made:
- Added Team Items: 2x Doubler, 2x Guard, 2x Scout at both bases, plus their own spawnspots.
- Added Kamikaze and make it cycle with Regeneration.
- Deleted two unbalancing healths at red base.
- Deleted one shell box and one bullet box at both spawn rooms.
- Switched ammos: Nailbox & Beltbox near sniper tower, and Cellbox near the Megahealth and Grenadebox at the bases.
- Added a shader which replaces moonsky.
- Clipped middle area ceilings, to avoid camping from here.
- Added a minor detail: two faulting arrow signals in red base.
- Added minor details: arrows at spawn spots.

As usual, you can get this new version in this post.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:00:17 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

>U.A.C<union aerospace corp.
Nub

Cakes 0

U.A.C is the future of the planet mars

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 12:48:34 PM »

hey!! i ve downloaded Hydronex 2, pretty ctf. I agree: railgun is missing!!!
hahaha!!! No more railers, stupid campers and no more "Railed by......
I hate this item!! hydronex is a good training map!
good work congratulation;

Do you want live on mars??
vote U.A.C

UNION AEROSPACE CORP.
PaniC
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2009, 07:09:47 AM »

I love the new hydro, nice done Neon_Knight! Smiley

But, i hope its not my failure: theres no water for me in Hydro, i testet it local, i can normaly run underwater. o.O

I made a demo about that: http://evilarena.de/hydro2b3.zip (.zip, 38,5 KB)

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 08:19:52 AM »

Its weird, cause I tested it in 0.8.1 and I have water.
Maybe is you. Tongue
I'll see that demo.

EDIT: Forget what I've said. I'll fix that. -.-
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:37:09 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2009, 11:11:01 AM »

Today is my BD, but I'll give this present to you. Grin
Hydronex-final. (I hope...)

Only cosmetical changes:
- Fixed water. Also rescaled its texturizing.
- Added boxes. (I wanted them back with the map)

I think, I REALLY THINK, the map is finally ready to go with the pack.

You know where to find D/L link. ^^ 'Ere!

REMEMBER that this version replaces normal Hydronex, so be aware.

fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2009, 11:15:32 AM »

Happy Birthday Neon_Knight \Cheesy/

I hope you don't mind best wishes in your map thread Cheesy
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2009, 11:17:39 AM »

No drama. ^^
I just hope to get all those maps I made/modified finished. I'm tired of GTKR by now...

PaniC
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2009, 11:32:21 AM »

Happy Birthday and THX for the nice map Neon_Knight

Smiley

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2009, 04:26:06 PM »

I've made a bunch of changes onto the new Hydronex2, now Hydronex3:

- More boxes added and spreaded to be used as cover points.
- Ramps now behaves as stairs. Easier to climb.
- Deleted Prox Launchers and Railguns (ammo for Prox too) and added just one RG and one PL at the middle area. I'll leave to you the thinking. Cheesy
- Replaced MHs by Battle Suits.
- Replaced PL on Spawnrooms with another RL. I guess this map now is very RL-friendly. Cheesy
- Raised the ceiling of the entire outer area.
- Added 2 more DOM points, which makes for a total of 5 points. These are between the sniper spot and the flag rooms.
- Center wall changes: new holes with the raising, holding each one one of the following items: RG, PL, and Kamikaze. Regeneration will stay on the middle area, and will be replaced by neutral items on the other gametypes.
- New entrance to bases. Did I mention that I adapted this map to be rocketjump-friendly? Cheesy Also fixed the lateral ones for the sake of vis.
- Minor changes.

Here are the screens:

Future plans:
- Redo the entire map by using correct structural & detail brushes, as I've done with blitzkrieg2 and mckinleyish2.
- Scatter more boxes?
- Two underwater entrances, maybe finishing in the lateral passages as well.
- Make the passages look different like the original Hydro16? Screenshots below, is the map which SavageX used as inspiration for the original Hydronex:

The download link is in this post.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:47:16 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2009, 01:52:53 AM »

- Ramps now behaves as stairs. Easier to climb.

The stair like ramps work great on the bases, however in the water, when your viewport is paralell with the ground (you see straight in the middle) and press forward you will get stuck and won't climb upwards. The ramps in the water should have the physics of ramps.

It's a great release, I like it Smiley!

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2009, 07:13:10 PM »

I'm starting to redo this map, it'll end very differently as an "hydro" map, but I'm afraid it won't reach the 0.8.5 release.

Mainly changes in the center area, but there will be some changes in the bases as well.

* No sniper houses. (This makes this map as a non-Hydro-like map. It seems like some map layouts will only work with some games. :/)
* Lateral passages which connects the two bases, with water entrances.
* Weapon/item count reduction. Hydro2 & Hydro3 were really bloated with items.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: