Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best DM and TDM maps  (Read 18402 times)
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« on: December 28, 2008, 04:42:01 AM »

I will setup a OA server mainly for LAN playing and now I'm wandering which DM maps do you think are the best avalible for OA?
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:29:01 AM »

its all a matter of preference, I like maps such as aggressor, oarpg3dm2, oa_dm6, oa_shine

wrackdm17 is good for railers Wink

you can also join the duckpond server with auto download on, and get some good maps that way

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 09:12:02 AM »

pro-q3dm6 which comes with quake3 (if you have it), ra3map1 (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ra3map1.pk3+intitle%3A%22index+of%22) and ra3map11 (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ra3map11.pk3+intitle%3A%22index+of%22) are all good.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:55:25 AM »

We already set up in the OAA server these maps...
- oa_dm1
- oa_rpg3dm2
- aggressor
- oa_minia
- blitzkrieg2

...and the following ones, just to have some more to play:
- oa_dm7
- oa_dm5
- wrackdm17
- czest1dm

Of course it's all about your personal liking, and there are more third party maps which can be better than these.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:11:44 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:01:05 AM »

pro-q3dm6 which comes with quake3

This is in pak6.pk3
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 11:36:20 AM »

How do I copy maps from q3a in OA? I tried dm17 but it didn't load in OA.

Thanks for the suggestions. For now we were already playing wrack, aggressor and oa_minia. We'll try others.

If other maps come to your mind please share the knowledgement Smiley
Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 01:08:13 PM »

You cannot just copy a Q3A factory map to OA and use it. It will not work because of missing textures/models.

Don't forget that there are a lot of custom made Q3A maps that can be played w/o problem in Openarena. Here is a list of good maps I use on my own server:

13base
chitourney1
cpm22
dade_rage
ik3dm2
lun3dm2
lun3dm3
lun3dm4
monsoon
nodm16
plduel2
psyco3dm3
pukka3dm1
q3arc1

AFAIK these maps are all available at http://lvlworld.com
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 01:11:12 PM by Speaker » Logged
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 01:45:31 PM »

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gpl-q3a2oa-textures.pk3+intitle%3A%22index+of%22

No more missing textures in q3 maps! (well, virtually none)

You can get a map from quake3 in to oa by opening the pk3 file it's in (pk3 files are renamed .zip files) and extracting the maps .bsp which you can then put in baseoa/maps (create the folder if it doesn't exist). A nicer solution would be to create your own pk3 for the map which I'm sure you can work out by looking at some other maps pk3 file. Or you could always google for a pk3 someone else has made of the map you want, though I'm not going to post links here as it probably breaches copyright (providing a link to a pk3 file not everyone will legally have the right to, even though you do - by owning q3).

Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 03:23:55 AM »

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gpl-q3a2oa-textures.pk3+intitle%3A%22index+of%22

No more missing textures in q3 maps! (well, virtually none)

This is great help! I downloaded the stuff and tried with some of my favorite maps (ztn3dm1, ztn3dm2) and it works. Some of the textures look a bit ugly, but the maps are fully playable. At last I can use all my favorite maps on my server.

Thank you very much for the link!

BTW, I noticed that 'z-gpl-q3a2oa-textures.pk3' (at the 'dl.evilarena.de' link) is better, it has more textures and even some working models. I recommend to use that one.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 04:38:35 AM »

This is another jack thompson production.

There has been several updates to this. I also mentioned to him about the 70's look and suggested replacing some of the plain textures with some of the default oa ones. One thing I found was that the oa ones were excessive in file size and not necessarily have greater detail, so I started resizing them and will gradually replace the more commonly used ones.

He also has a tool which creates xml files from command line which lists all the textures from the map.. i found this a great help for finding missing textures. It's in the qscore suite here http://ilovefps.y7.ath.cx/
RudyRailer
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 10:39:18 AM »

Hi christooooooooOOOOOo's

For  tdm and dm these are very good/fun  adapted/extended q3dm6 maps  for OA  called:
6++
ful-bring-the-pain-beta
ful-bring-the-pain-sbq-beta
ful-q3dm6-remix

More good maps are:
Overkill 
oa_koth1
qfraggel3tdm
qfraggel3ffa
rota3dm2
nook3dm2pro
necro6 small map

and maybe spirit3t1 tdm/ffa

map close to q3dm17 is ssdm17_v2

These maps ive played in my short oa experience and imo these are maps good for tdm and ffa
Myselfe i play more ctf so other people have more mapknowledge then me

But im sure u like the maps above Cheesy

Have fun!

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 07:51:23 AM »

Overkill is one of my alltime favs.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
RudyRailer
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »

Overkill is one of my alltime favs.

Ye i like it alot too.

a ctf version of it would be nice

1 flag where rail is'
and 1 flag @ tele exit

loose the teleporter tough hehehe

And maybe some little tweaks to the map,I would love to help with those maptweaks
Or is that a silly suggestion Huh

I know u are also make ctf maps cosmo
I wonder how u feel about this?
sittingduck
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 06:28:29 PM »

I like uberkill a little better than overkill.
It looks nicer in OA too, in my opinion.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »

@RudyRailer: CTF maps are nice. Let me alter ctf_inyard after finishing oa_koth2. There is another map I was planning with kick52 I should finish. Unfortunately I need lots of textures and mapmodels for it. Sad
You mentioned where to place the flags/bases of both teams. A lot of people will start to argue when those places are not symmetric. How many asymmetric CTF maps are out there and played by people? I'm just wondering if that's important at all. Might be a balancing problem if one place is easier to defend than another. On the other hand mirroring the architecture is a common way to solve this but I don't think it's a clever idea.

@sittingduck: Sorry, I don't know uberkill. The name itself doesn't sound promising. Wink

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: