Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: New map: blitzkrieg  (Read 83142 times)
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2009, 02:10:01 AM »

I liked Blitzkrieg2 more than Blitzkrieg3. Here's the reasons:

Visual:
  • No rooftop. The same problems just like with oa_dm1v2: the structures supporting the rooftop are now pointless and looking weird. There are doors which have upper frame but why? You've added some machines/computers, they are now under the blue sky, they rust in rain and freeze in cold, it makes it unreal (in a bad sense Smiley ).
  • Dropholes are now fully painted yellow/black, it's unnecessary. Warning painting is only applied on the top to warn drunk workers not to fall into them. Those dropholes are for moving stuff between the two levels in a factory, maybe some kind of metal texture on the left and right side could indicate a non-working lift. But it's sure that a painting on the whole wall is strange, it is just a wasting of paint buckets, and no man would do such a silly thing. I've painted our garage door this summer, a 3*6 meter big surface took 3 hours and my wrist was zeroed for two days. Adding parallel stripes just makes things worse. It's again unreal.
  • Computers are under the holes. Humans and aliens jumping on them with heavy weapons is again not a sane thing. Those holes are not for computers to store, see the use of the holes above.
  • Painting the lower leves with blue is a nice idea, but the doors have a brown painting on their frame which makes a big contrast. Paint everything blue on the lower level.
  • The new portal textures are too dark and calm. The previous white-noise texture was better, it added a more abandoned feeling to the map.
To sum things up: every map should have a concept with some reference to reality. It shouldn't look like a random maze without any rooftops, because it gives the feeling as being in an ant farm: we fool fraggers are given some platforms and toys to play and to amuse the Big Brother who is watching us. It completely eliminates the feeling of being an e-sport athlete.

Gameplay:
  • The trim where the Red Armor sits in BK3, is superfluous. The two platforms got closer to each other, so you can jump across them with only pushing down the left or right button, no real circle jump needed, it's easy enough why adding a catwalk too? And since there's nothing valuable on the platform, why does it even exists, and why is leading a jumppad on top of it? In Blitzkrieg2 if you wanted to collect the Yellow Armor, you've got two choices: (1) using the jumppad which takes time to approach, and makes you an easy target while in the air, or (2) performing a nearly perfect circlejump from the opposite platform. It rewards advanced players, but now everything is gone.
  • Railgun is now too easy to collect. In BK2 you had to fall down into the hole to collect it, it was harder to reach, it forced players to move between the levels. The megahealth can be easily collected too, that platform should be also raised so it can be collected only from above.
  • Add some vertical strings of armor shards or +5 health over the jumppads, it could be fun. If you don't place back the RA to the place where YA on BK2 is, than placing shards and health over that jumppad is an obligation, or else it's useless to even look in that direction.

Sorry to criticize the map after it is final and not while it was under development, but I didn't watched the topic after Blitzkrieg 2 Sad.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2009, 07:36:51 AM »

Uploaded the latest version.

* Brought back the teleporter and the weapon/item placement of Blitzkrieg2.
* Some computers aren't there anymore.
* Added many details over the map.

Head to this post for links and screens: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1809.msg19040#msg19040

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2009, 06:06:17 PM »

Final3, I hope it's the definitive one.

- Botclip.
- Lighting lowered, so the map isn't that overbright anymore. That made the map compillable again without -nocollapse.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
boczeq
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2009, 03:17:10 PM »

Hello,

I have just tried playing on blitzkrig3.
General remarks are:
I like how it looks. Certainly better than I made it.
I don't like other changes.
Here is what and why:
1. Teleports exits are placed badly. Now teleports are defensive, may be used to run to completely different place on the map, and camp. Before, in original blitzkrieg, teleports were for counterattack.
2. Green health packs and lower yellow armor are placed to high, and can not be accessed form lower ground. This is bad, it should be at least 2 easy ways to access such important thing as yellow armor. Rail gun is placed higher to, but it may be ok.
3. This weapon should be there, as shown by red arrow. Now it is on save position, you can get it for free. On the position I had selected you may get a rocket while trying to grab a weapon.

4. There is no way to jump down as shown by red arrow. The same thing happens with other jump pads areas. This is bad. There should at least 3 ways to get in an out of any room in the map. The more entrances/exits the better.

5. Tlephort exit shown on the picture is placed badly. There is no choice if to take health pack or not, you have to always take it when using teleport. In original blitzkrieg there was a choice, and even a threat of telefrag if chosen to take health pack. Usually the one with armor wants health packs, so he should have to pay in time for getting it, giving the one with no armor time to weapon up.

Thats all for now.
Sorry for ruthless critic. But I wanted Blitzkrieg to be perfect, and I'm emotionally attached to it Smiley.
There were 4 simple rules when I was creating the map:
1. You should be able get form anywere to anyware very quick.
2. Positions with bonuses are pain in the ass to defend, camp.
3. At least 3 ways in or out form any room.
4. Counter attack teleports.

Map is released under GPL license, so everyone can change whatever he wants, but as a player I hope you consider my opinion. I'm open for your explanations and discussion.

Best regards,
boczeq
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »

No drama, it's your map after all. Wink
I'll be doing those changes.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2009, 02:54:22 PM »

Done final4. No structural changes, still, all the changes requested by boczeq were done:

- Moved LG's place.
- Reduced jumppad's trigger size, so there's place to drop.
- Some computer protectors (the glass at RL area and the ledge over one of the PCs in YA/SG/RG area) were removed, in order to make jumping to areas easier.
- Moved a health near to a teleporter's destination a bit far.
- Teleporters and destinations are back to the old blitzkrieg placement.

Also, the following:
- Improved botplaying. They shouldn't get stuck in borders now.
- Playerstarts lifted a bit from the floor. They shouldn't bounce when they spawn.
- Minor changes.

Screenshots and download link are here: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1809.msg19040#msg19040

Now time for a break.

boczeq
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2009, 05:36:28 AM »

Hello,

final4. I played it for an hour. I love it. It's perfect. I have discovered some new tricks, enabled by Neon_Knight changes. I also notice that plasma gun is more handy now. I like it. I'm looking forward to play it on some server.

Thanks to everybody that helped. Neon_Knight you are the best. Thank you.

Forgive me, but I wouldn't be myself if I haven't found the bug. There is small typo in 3 line of readme file Smiley

Best regards,
boczeq
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 12:45:32 PM »

Thanks man, the credit also goes to you for creating an awesome map. Smiley

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2016, 04:29:23 PM »

Doing some changes at blitzkrieg3 for OA3 at FH's request.

The fog at the chamber near the Shotgun area: should it be less dense or directly rid?

Also, the texture used for the teleportals is savdm6ish/#Teleport, there's also liquids/tele. Strangely both of them have surfaceparm water. While I keep searching for ther alternatives, I'll leave to you the question: should these teleportals be replaced by something else such as the "spark" teleporters in am_mckinleyish, by Q3-style teleporters like those on Cosmo's maps (oa_koth2 for example), or be left as they are?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2016, 03:35:34 AM »

For the fog, I suppose you may change it to another one, less dense, if you need. However I would not completely remove it for the simple reason there are only few OA maps actually using the fog (without counting death pits or player-unreachable places)...

I don't know the reason why the shader used for that teleporter does contain "surfaceparm water".... however, it doesn't seem to actually cause problems... does it?
For me, you may just continue using it. In case you want to change it to a better looking teleporter, I always found those in pul1duel-oa (those with the purple vortex which emits sound) very cool, but they use more brushes...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:23:24 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2016, 08:58:11 AM »

I definitely agree in that even Q3 exploits a lot of features OA hasn't exploited it yet (or did, but have been removed "at external request" cofcof*foginctf_compromise*cofcof).

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2016, 09:47:41 PM »

First version since inclusion in official OA packages.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uz26jfbka4sbcf0/z_blitzkrieg3-oa3-a1.pk3?dl=0

Features:
- (Mostly) Reworked brushwork.
- Reworked lighting. Still needs improvement.
- Support for FFA, 1on1, LMS and Possession.
- Includes .info file (is it alright?)
- Less "obstructive" fog.
- Newer texture for teleporters.

Screenshots (taken from 0.8.8 ):

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:13:36 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2016, 12:27:18 AM »

- Includes .info file (is it alright?)
I have not tested it. But at the moment values with spaces must be quoted:
Code:
auther "boczeq & Neon_Knight"

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2016, 04:32:35 AM »

Noted for next releases. Thank you!
What about the values in "gametype pos"?

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2016, 11:19:27 AM »

Noted for next releases. Thank you!
What about the values in "gametype pos"?
I would not put the fragLimit under 90. 20 seconds is not a long time to hold the flag even on a small map.
The current default value of 300 may be way to high. I play with 90. It gives a reasonable game. It is not unusual for a bot to reach more than 20 seconds before I see the flag for the first time.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2016, 01:22:42 AM »

Hi!
Seems good to me...

Quickly tested in Possession mode. Maybe bots go where there is the white flag too rarely?

Maybe one may remove flares from those red trims (see first screenshot)...

And maybe this could be chance to update the logo in those textures of the second and third screenshot, but I don't know if OA3 logo will be the same of 0.8.8, and if someone is planning to make a big job to update all logos in all textures in an organized way...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: