Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Even more crosshairs :-)  (Read 25405 times)
Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« on: December 31, 2008, 06:02:42 AM »

Hi,

I have a couple of crosshairs that I made for my Q3M source mod a while ago. IMHO these put less strain on the eyes than the standard crosshairs, because the lines are somewhat thinner and the surrounding frame is semi-transparent. They look like this:

I have put the TGA files into a ZIP archive which you can download here:

http://menczel.extra.hu/crosshair.zip

If you like them, just replace crosshairs00.tga to crosshairs06.tga in 'more_crosshairs.pk3' with these files, and the new crosshairs immediately become available as crosshairs 10 to 16.

Enjoy!

@fromhell:

I release these crosshairs under the GNU General Public License version 2. Originally the different shapes were created so that each weapon might have its own characteristic crosshair (very helpful if you play with the weapon model hidden). I modified the engine source so that whenever a weapon change occurred, the appropriate crosshair was displayed. This could also be incorporated into the OA source (as a cvar controlled selectable option). I can make the necessary modifications if you wish.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:08:44 AM »

These look great.

Recently I find alot of people have problems with the crosshairs not matching the default shown in the menu when using mods. I'm not sure or why this would happen unless the selection has been changed in oa.

Shaders are the preffered method for color ch's so these will work nicely (rather than have loads of them).
Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 06:34:33 AM »

These look great.

Glad you like them. So, what about something like this for zoomed view:

TGA file here:

http://menczel.extra.hu/crosshair07.tga

Can be used as a standalone crosshair (set size to 128 in the config), but needs source modification if you want automatic crosshair change when the player zooms in.
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 06:39:23 AM »

I cannot find this more_crosshairs pak on my server. Sad

I do seem to remember them being available on 080 and I can't see any reason why I would delete them, unless it was a mistake.

But when I launch the game locally I get this....

Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 07:03:29 AM »

I have uploaded 'more_crosshairs.pk3' to my WEB site. Get it here:

http://menczel.extra.hu/more_crosshairs.zip

Oops, it is the modified version with my crosshairs already added. Tell me if you need the original, too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:06:11 AM by Speaker » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 07:20:26 AM »

I cannot find this more_crosshairs pak on my server. Sad

I do seem to remember them being available on 080 and I can't see any reason why I would delete them, unless it was a mistake.
fromhell forgot to pack them. Tongue
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:30:57 AM by Armageddon_Man » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 07:22:44 AM »

No thats fine Cheesy

I think I found the issue when people use mods.

q3's ch's don't correspond with the sequence as oa's. Some mods use transparency crosshairs so they have made crosshairs which match the sequence of q3's. eg crosshaira2 = crosshaira . So crosshaira2 will work ok in game, but will be diffrerent from the one shown in the oa menu.

So I went and renamed the oa crosshairs to match the mod, but then see that they are bloody 128 x 128 dimensions (65kb each). I have resized these and now they have a big black surrounding in game (because there is no alpha transparency). Sad

I'll just try your pak instead. hmm.. I might have to rename that file, if it has different contents from the client then they will get kicked if the servers pure. I guess people have more_crosshairs.pk3 in baseoa which will load first so I will call your one more_crosshairs2
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 07:31:23 AM »

oh forget about the pure/filename issue. I just rembered these are tga files so the file size should match providing the dimensions are the same Cheesy

I should be able to copy these to my mod file without issues
chaoticsoldier

Cakes 18

This space intentionally left blank.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 09:01:19 AM »

Most noticable in the first image, the dot in the circle is not in the very middle. This applies to the other crosshairs too.
Testing them in-game drove me absolutely bonkers because the crosshairs aren't symmetrical. Sad

0101100101101111011101010010011101110110011001010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000111011101100001011100110111010001100101011001000010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000111010001101001011011010110010100101110
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 10:01:14 AM »

Put the bottle down Speaker before you try and align them to the center.

I finished the pak but not uploaded it yet Cheesy
Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »

Most noticable in the first image, the dot in the circle is not in the very middle. This applies to the other crosshairs too.
Testing them in-game drove me absolutely bonkers because the crosshairs aren't symmetrical. Sad

Yes, they are not absolutely symmetrical. Still, I use them all the time and for me they are OK. I also tested them and they seem to be accurate in that the rail hit is at or very close to the dot in the center. I always concentrate on the middle dot, the frame is just there to quickly locate the crosshair if I momentarily looked somewhere else before.

I am sorry to hear that they are not good enough for you, but then simply don't use them. Even better, make some perfect ones and post them. :-)
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 10:48:28 AM »

The dot does look offset a little looking at them (i thought maybe thats my bad eyesight) but looks ok in game.
P . Scimmia
Nub

Cakes 2

Grrrr...ciao

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 10:21:35 AM »

Remember also my ...
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=252f3b28f4e4ba3091b20cc0d07ba4d2e934c02b3ea4d5e7

video demonstration
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=NUVSzmbxFAs ...But pointers monochrome funds are lost in uniform or appear lights (though the edges enhance), my colored no, it confuses a lot less! try them anyway ... maybe even try my! ... it would be nice if they had zoom viewfinders of the effects seen in "The Enemy at the gates"
Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 12:12:13 PM »

@Scimmia:

These colored crosshairs are interesting. However, the problem they intend to eliminate does not occur very frequently. Quake scenes are usually fairly dark, and uniform light colored surfaces are quite rare (except for lights). In my experience white crosshairs hardly ever fade into the background. Also, monochrome crosshairs are better defined and give a sharper image IMO.
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 12:19:24 PM »

I dont like the monochrome ones but they work well when a mod supports color crosshairs so I have bright green ch's using Speakers.

P . Scimmia, i havent tried these out but they look nice. wow there are loads of them, you could get a full time job doing that Cheesy
P . Scimmia
Nub

Cakes 2

Grrrr...ciao

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »

the crosshairs colored me I have replaced them in the file pk0 in baseon! as you said you do not confuse it with lights and may even seem reflected on the characters! also allow the creation of maps entirely mono eighths and not just white, or greater visibility in fog with maps, also in the explosion are still visible and I can guarantee ... are not able to use yours! I unpacked the Dile pk3 in basoen but nothing, it seems to me that you have mentioned your mod? as his name? I do a 'autodowload
Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 01:34:17 PM »

@Scimmia:

I will give your crosshairs a try, maybe I will just love them. 'You never can tell till you try' said in the limerick the maiden who tried to look into her ears. : -)

The mod I mentioned has nothing to do with Openarena, it is an old attempt of mine to improve the gameplay of Q3A. I finished what I wanted to do, so I don't work on it any more.

The crosshairs I posted here need an OA engine in which the extra crosshairs are enabled (0.8.1 is OK for sure), and you must have the PAK file called 'more_crosshairs.pk3'. In an earlier message in this topic I posted a link to a copy in which my crosshairs are already installed:

BTW, modifying pk0 is not a good idea, you may introduce incompatibilities which could cause you trouble later.
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »

P. S,

Heres a good article on pak loading, if you can understand it Smiley I often refer to it as there is some good info there.

http://www.tilion.org.uk/Games/Quake_3
Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »

I dont like the monochrome ones but they work well when a mod supports color crosshairs so I have bright green ch's using Speakers.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I meant by 'monochrome' was 'made of a single color' (not necessarily white).

I can make colored versions of the crosshairs if you wish. There are plenty of slots in 'more_crosshairs.pk3' to install them. This would also be a good opportunity to correct the asymmetry. Maye also to make some other styles like in the collection of Scimmia. Some of those look really nice (except for the coloring which I don't like).

What colors would be good in your opinion?
sittingduck
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 04:27:45 PM »

My accuracy has improved since I switched to the simple dot. I find that I don't zero in as well with the extra stuff around the crosshair.
Red seems to show up nicely too. Smiley

Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »

OK, I had some spare time, so I remade my crosshair collection. There are now eight different crosshairs that look like this:

All these are available in three colors: white, green and yellow. They are completely symmetrical. The updated PK3 with the 24 crosshairs installed is here:

These crosshairs may be used and distributed under the GNU General Public License version 2.

P . Scimmia
Nub

Cakes 2

Grrrr...ciao

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »

I had to try to uninstall and reinstall from getdeb Open arena! But it's done and concerned that I also added my regret if you do not (or goes against the license? my free gpl), however, place the file, with my I stretched up to 65:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jnzyzwjxox3

oa_mina the map you can see the advantages is that those of my 2-color or colored green, blue etc. ... ! But the higher number of colors easily adapt to any map (although not the slim)!
problem in these new no multyplayer go! nothing can be done ... I would make them more comfortable
P . Scimmia
Nub

Cakes 2

Grrrr...ciao

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 09:42:37 AM »

strange ...
I noticed that my last pointers as the life you fall va a yellow and then tend to red before you die? while the other new no! why?
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »

because that's crosshair health (cg_crosshairhealth 1). It changes along with the death sounds to represent how much health you have.

And your crosshair shows the black box thing like mines did, instead of transparency.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: