Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: confusing message about mouse acceleration  (Read 6127 times)
dash9

Cakes 6

« on: December 27, 2008, 01:10:20 AM »

While downloading a map from a server I noticed this message in the console:
restoring mouse acceleration to: 1.500000

I checked cl_mouseAccel and it's 0.4, so what exactly was restored there?
Happens on a Mac OS X 10.5.4, did not check on Linux yet.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 01:11:51 AM by dash9 » Logged

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 01:47:24 AM »

If I'm reading the source correctly, I think this is OS X's system mouse acceleration, not the engine's.

It's in sdl_input.c, IN_DeactivateMouse( void ).

I don't know if "acceleration" here is supposed to mean:

• A simple number (like sens)
  • A more complicated number (man xset: "go 'acceleration' times as fast when it travels more than 'threshold' pixels in a short time")
  • Something else like this (certain Windows mouse drivers -- or look at the complaints when you search "os x mouse acceleration" (not in quotes))
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 01:52:32 AM by damocles » Logged
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 04:41:12 AM »

If I'm reading the source correctly, I think this is OS X's system mouse acceleration, not the engine's.
Yes I think you are right, and there should be a message when the mouse is initialized too ("previous mouse acceleration: XXX").

I presume the engine does this to get "raw" mouse movements (unaffected by the user's speed setting in the OS's control panel).
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:14:49 PM »

Yes I think you are right, and there should be a message when the mouse is initialized too ("previous mouse acceleration: XXX").

I presume the engine does this to get "raw" mouse movements (unaffected by the user's speed setting in the OS's control panel).
The "previous mouse acceleration" and "restoring mouse acceleration" messages appear very often, and even more weirdness, they show the same value.. !
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 12:43:33 PM by dash9 » Logged

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: