Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to promote OA -I've hit a wall  (Read 25398 times)
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« on: December 31, 2008, 04:07:02 PM »

I post on a large, elitist forum, which it costs money to be a member of. This forum is somewhat notorious for draconian mods and being full of assholes - although they're pretty damn good at whatever they put their collective minds to and avoiding a lot of the bullshit that plauges other online communities.

This forum has a rather large gaming community. What could I say in an opening post to convince them that OA is more than just 'open source quake 3' and that it would be worth their time to check it out?
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 05:25:57 PM »

I wouldn't let them get the slightest hint that the population isn't amazingly high, along with only showing them the best of the best (screenshots, videos... gerbil's Welcome To OpenArena video might be good)

otherwise idk

Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 07:24:11 PM »

I thought OA was opensource Q3a?

How about this:

Make a humble post and don' t promise a lot. Let them know about this neat opensource game that's just starting to take off. Tell them it's in heavy development. Tell them of the project's aspirations and sell them on its potential.

If they're not into FOSS, don't ram it down their throat.

Don't sound desperate. Smiley If they are elite, they will only want to play elite games.

Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »

They're not as great as they pretend they are-there's a lot of self deprecation on there as well. I guess i'm not very good at selling stuff (my main failing as a commercial artist.) Baiscally I'm asking for a ghost-writer to help me since I suck at this sort of thing.

What are the aspirations of the OA project?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 08:15:00 PM by Noob Sauce » Logged
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 07:22:50 AM »

Why do you play OA ?

Do not promote (sell), just inform ...

Todo: Walk the cat.
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 06:32:11 PM »

because it doesn't lag my computer and my cd drive is broken, so I can't install quake 3
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 06:42:25 PM »

forum ... full of assholes
Are you sure you want them playing OA?

because it doesn't lag my computer and my cd drive is broken, so I can't install quake 3
That's a valid reason, even though a bit hilarious.

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 08:15:20 PM »

forum ... full of assholes
Are you sure you want them playing OA?

They're the good kind of assholes.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »

That's a valid reason, even though a bit hilarious.
I can say "Because I like it" or "I can play Q3 and OA fine and well, but I prefer OA over Q3, because it has more options, modes and that sort of thing than Q3". Grin

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 02:35:36 PM »

OK I've made a basic short 'throw it out there' kind of post. Now what?

And the replies aren't exactly glowing -

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3047290
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 03:36:32 PM by Noob Sauce » Logged
RudyRailer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 03:56:54 PM »

But theyre right. this game takes too long to develope and should be made clear its only beta not a final.

The game never should be for public use when its not finished, biggest mistake ever Cheesy

all the constant changes make people leave because they just got used to the current version and then its get so called "Updated"

To me it was not clear it was only beta when i Installed the game, so many bugs its frustrating. to be honest every update is a downgrade.

This game imo will never take off  and only be a game u might play next to your favorite games when you realy bored.

ToO much problems with this game, as u can read in this forum.
But hey, its only beta right? lol

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:04:43 PM by RudyRailer » Logged
DrBob
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 04:55:25 PM »

the other side... I think OA is good.. not had so much fun since since I played Quake II a million years ago..

The chief advantage of it being OS is that the community can guide it as they want. A finished package is great for those with no imagination

I have played:

Nexuiz.. so slow... busy.. flimsy weapons
Tremulous.. great game.. very creative.. I hate it ..
Sauerbraten.. OK but for some reason not quite there..
Warslow.. I really should like this ..but I don't
Alien Arena.. Great graphics but I hate the weapons..

there is something more "brutal" about OA.. Smiley

Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 07:08:31 PM »

I think it's too soon to call. So far the response seems okay to me.

Half the posts were positive.

One negative poster was already aware of OA as he/ she mentioned a bit of drama from almost a year ago. Seems to think the progress of the last year has made OA worse (OA has made great strides IMHO) and then suggests the tiny Q3a demo or Nexuiz as an alternative (Nexuiz is a fine game BTW). I think he/ she already has a dog in this race.

The other made noises about being offended by a single picture of the nekosys model... in a game that was famously built for deathmatch. Must have been a fellow american. punched
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 08:14:44 PM »

I think it's too soon to call. So far the response seems okay to me.

Half the posts were positive.

One sarcastic "positive" response, mostly just SHITPOSTSHITPOST
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:55:39 PM by Noob Sauce » Logged
KILLIE THE GREAT
Lesser Nub

Cakes -6

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 03:03:42 PM »

why promote it, i mean... it's not a Proper game, i only play it for fun, it just does'nt give u that  'im a killing machine' feeling. P.S Oa is still a quite good game

KHOTANAS.... They waste precious RSA currency on top class clothing, then burn & tear is days later
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 03:58:40 PM »

I've read the post too, and yeah there are people who just play OA for its anime (better said hentai) models and there are people who only play that because it costs nothing. There are really few players who play the game because it has the same gaming experience that Quake3 and players who do care about the GPL. But I think there are already some serious OpenArena fighters here: a new website is coming, there are some excellent map developings going on, we got some talented music composers, and we've already started the first OA Leage! OpenArena gets better and better, I am really optimistic that for the 1.0 we will have a release which will blow away the Nexuiz ninjas and the Warsow warpigs Wink .

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »

You aught to be more worried about the likes of Assaultcube and Tremulous. LOTS of players on those two, more that Nex or Warsow.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 05:47:43 PM »

You aught to be more worried about the likes of Assaultcube and Tremulous.

Assault Cube is maybe a competition to Urban Terror, but I think it is really weak. And Tremulous is more than an FPS, it has RTS elements too. It can't be compared to OA either.

Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 06:17:15 PM »

Yeah but AssaultCube has more variety in it's gameplay modes - There's like 3-4 variants on CTF, whereas harvester doesn't even work and overdrive isn't exactly popular.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 06:31:53 PM »

Yeah but AssaultCube has more variety in it's gameplay modes

And does AssaultCube have RL, RG, LG or BFG? Assault Cube aims to be real, just like Urban Terror, True Combat and Counter Strike. But it's not a competition for us, OA aims to be fast and arcade like. And so want Nexuiz and Warsow. You simply can't compare the two.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 06:36:02 PM by Udi » Logged

DoomTra1n
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »

Ok, :S wow, so OA IS A BETA!!! Damn guys, you really gotta get your asses into gear. The longer you wait , the more people you are going to lose. Sure you may get a few QIIIArena guys QLive peeps and some 30+ yo gamers.

I'd say capitalize on the recent boom in QLive and give links, video responses and comments on anything to do with QLive on every damn site that says anything about it. like YouTube vids, facebook, forums etc. These are obviously very similar games (duh) so maybe another "free option" won't hurt them. Next time hit up Quakecon and bring in all your OA goodness and hold a side tourney somewhere w/ a small group of players. create funny pics for photobucket, make stupid videos like Red Vs. Blue. Do some DeFrag vids (movement w/e), Frag vids (seen a couple really nice vids on YT, but not that many with high quality players), and remember to tag tag tag those vids , music, pictures or whatever your working on. I've bumped into a few vids of OA with NO F***ing tags at all. the more tags the more hits you may possibly rack up.

ofc if your still in beta, maybe building up some hype pre full release would be great. If your thinking about some major changes to apply from QIII than now is the time to do it, before it gets too late. Why it's in beta I have no idea... because you guys are taking the source code from a finished game? Well, I can't wait till 1.0 hits, I'll probably be on till then, well after I mean. great f****ing game.

to me : Q4
QIIIArena
QLive
Open Arena

I have more games, but these 4 always make me comeback for more Smiley
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 06:49:37 PM »

OpenArena is in beta, not because of the source code, but because of the game content. A vast amount of game content isn't there.

There is a wide variety of maps available for OpenArena, but personally very few of them have a professional polished feel.
Not all textures from Q3 have been recreated for OpenArena.
Very few map objects.
A variety of the character models have broken animations(mainly the ones I submitted).

Overall OpenArena is very playable, it just lacks polish... Which takes time.

I'm curious, what map objects are OpenArena missing? If someone can create a list & display an image of the Q3 version, I'll start making alternatives. Smiley
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 10:31:26 PM »

Ok, :S wow, so OA IS A BETA!!! Damn guys, you really gotta get your asses into gear.

The real producers that aren't lazy at the mo is pulchr, ArmageddonMan and cosmo. I'm the ultimate lazy ass that is holding OA up. enki's very busy lately with RL, which is why there's not many new fresh models for OA in recent times.

I'd say capitalize on the recent boom in QLive and give links, video responses and comments on anything to do with QLive on every damn site that says anything about it. like YouTube vids, facebook, forums etc. These are obviously very similar games (duh) so maybe another "free option" won't hurt them.

Self-promotion in every inch would hurt much more than it theoretically  benefits. It would depict this community as annoying, desperate people seeking attention for frag fodder.  I don't do this.

Example: The promotion of illicit Quakeworld shareware repacks.

ofc if your still in beta, maybe building up some hype pre full release would be great.

Building hype always leads to disappointment.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 11:39:49 PM »

just to add that i really am lazy

i've got lots of mapping plans - but not much get done, unfortunately
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 11:51:26 PM »

Me too. I want to make oa_bases9, oa_city, oa_b5m1 (beach themed dm1), oakyne, and other maps Sad

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: