Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Grappler/Invincibility models  (Read 44632 times)
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« on: January 01, 2009, 03:50:26 PM »

Crossposting from the Development thread -

Invincibility pickup -

Grappler -

I don't know how to hook the mirrored face for the invincible powerup to the original face, aside from that and the fact i've forgotten how to do textures in wings3d they're ready - at least as far as I understand it.
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 06:19:15 AM »

// Downloaded grappler and invincibility models from  development  thread "feature request: no self damage + rail-jump"

Hey Noob sauce, I noticed you're using Wings3d. I haven't tried that one yet. Do you know if it supports an md3 exporter?

Anyhow, I wanted to take a look at your grappler. I don't know Wings3d so I exported it to Blender via a .obj file. It seems to have come over alright except for the vertex coloring which appears to have disappeared.

So I did a quick UV map, scribbled on a texture, and exported it. I probably did this wrong but your grapple shows up and looks pretty good! Kind of reminds me of Metroid Prime.

If you want to try it out, just throw the zgrapple.pk3 in your in your baseoa and load a map with the grappling hook. I used Armageddon Man's am_mckinleyish which you can find in the maps forum.

//edit - Actually you'll need to rename zgrapple.pk3.zip to zgrapple.pk3 first.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:21:34 AM by Snickersnack » Logged
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:45:12 PM »

I was afraid the vertex colors would do that. Anyone remember how to do textures in wings3d? It's a long, frustrating process - that nuch I do recall.

Nice textures, except I can't tell the metallic ridges from the rest of the gun.

I don't know if wings supports a .md3 function.

Also, I put the folder in and tried it in McKinleyish and it didn't show up

Any chance these might be included in the next release?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:52:24 PM by Noob Sauce » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:59:36 PM »

Remember that you should rename zgrapple.pk3.zip file to zgrapple.pk3. Tongue

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »

before or after unzipping? I've tried both.

edit i'm attaching the files here too
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:43:16 PM by Noob Sauce » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:28:40 PM »

You don't unzip, after downloading the file zgrapple.pk3.zip, you rename that file to zgrapple.pk3 and put it in baseoa.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 03:44:04 PM »

in the game folder or app support?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 03:47:57 PM »

Game folder.
I always put pk3 stuff there.

Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 04:50:05 PM »

Game folder.
I always put pk3 stuff there.

I tried both. It remains a zip file in spite of the name change.
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 05:39:25 PM »

Also, anyone know how to apply textures in wings3d? I've forgotten somehow. Also, I want to work up some new gibs next after playing nexuiz. Chickenbones are kind of goofy.
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »

Hey Noob Sauce, pk3 files are just zip files. When Q3a/ OA loads its assets, it looks for files with the ".pk3" extension, so you need to rename your ".zip" files ".pk3".

Hmmm ... so you renamed zgrapple.pk3.zip to zgrapple.pk3 and it didn't work? I seem to recall some operating systems hiding file extensions in order to be "helpful". Wink To work around that possibility, I've attached meow.zip. If you extract it you'll find a properly named zgrapple.pk3. Put that in your baseoa directory and you should be good to go.

I'd attach zgrapple.pk3 directly but the forum won't allow that extension. Sad
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 06:33:49 PM »

I was afraid the vertex colors would do that. Anyone remember how to do textures in wings3d? It's a long, frustrating process - that nuch I do recall.

Nice textures, except I can't tell the metallic ridges from the rest of the gun.

Thanks. I must confess, the texture looks better in the pics than in game. I slapped it on so I could have a better at your grappler. If you submit it, the texture should probably be redone along with the uv map (it's a bit fscked ).

Any chance these might be included in the next release?

You should run it by fromhell. I'm sure she'll want to critique it/ polish it. As for now, it has a place in my /baseoa folder. Smiley

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »

If you want it to get into OA, you should put it into the SVN Commits thread.
BUT, you should wait until all the assets from Grapple (including Beam texturizing and sounds, which aren't done) are finished. And to be assured it'll be committed, I'll wait until fromhell says "start committing to SVN".

I guess it'll be in the next one because it looks great ingame. That pressurizes me to finish McKinleyish ASAP. Tongue
Or... we can include it in another map like Hydronex. Tongue
I guess I'll work on McKinleyish tomorrow.

Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 10:51:16 PM »

What I'm working on now - My first serious character model

But nope, the damn program STILL unzips the PK3 file.

Anyway, I'm still desperately trying to recall how to apply textures in wings.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:54:50 PM by Noob Sauce » Logged
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 05:25:41 AM »

What I'm working on now - My first serious character model

Cool.  Why don't you start a new thread for your  character model so people can track its progress more easily.

That sounds frustrating. You need to be able to see your models in game. There's no substitute.

If your computer unzips your pk3 files, you should be able to zip them back up and give them the appropriate name (just like you zipped up your "Grapple + Invul.zip" wings3d file).

If that doesn't work maybe one of us can replicate the behavior. What operating system are you running and what program are you using to unzip your files?

<conflict of interest>
If you can't remember maybe you could give it a try in blender. Simple textures are real easy. Just tell blender to uvmap your model and then paint directly on the mesh. It's kinda like mspaint.

Here's a short video of fromhell making a simple gun from scratch. The texturing is about half way through. It's badass. Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiLI6haqwAw
</conflict of interest>
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »

hax! she uses a modelbot
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 04:00:37 PM »

That sounds frustrating. You need to be able to see your models in game. There's no substitute.

If your computer unzips your pk3 files, you should be able to zip them back up and give them the appropriate name (just like you zipped up your "Grapple + Invul.zip" wings3d file).

If that doesn't work maybe one of us can replicate the behavior. What operating system are you running and what program are you using to unzip your files?

Stuffit expander on OSX Tiger. I used the other program, but it remains a zip file inspite of me appending .pk3 instead of .zip

<conflict of interest>
If you can't remember maybe you could give it a try in blender.
</conflict of interest>

I detest blender.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 04:06:16 PM by Noob Sauce » Logged
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 04:16:45 PM »

A pk3 file is a zip file. The extension pk3 does not change the file format.

If the game used the .zip extension then you can imagine how messy it would be if you were to download maps ending with .zip. You wouldn't know if this was a zip file containing other files or a game file. When the files are labelled .pk3 then it is still a zip file but there can be no mistake that it is a zip file to be used by the game. The game will try and read all pk3 files on startup that exist in baseoa. It will not read any zip files
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 07:36:29 PM »

Does grapple.txt and the rest of the folders need to be in the zip? Because that's what i've been doing.

Here's what I ended up doing in regards to the name problem -

But still no luck.

Anyway, i found some instructions on winggs3d textures. It's a HUGE pain in the ass to lay in anything except raw colors, so that's all i'm doing. But goddamn it it won't let me do multiple textures.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:58:13 PM by Noob Sauce » Logged
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 08:46:40 PM »

I did some googling and it appears that Macs hide file extensions similar to how Windows does it. You'll need to get around that in order to rename the zip extension  to a pk3 one. Here a link that shows you how to do it.

http://www.fileinfo.net/help/mac-show-extensions.html

* looks at Noob Sauce's picture

BINGO!

Hidden file extensions are the problem. (Don't feel bad, file extensions are a relic from msdos)

Get rid of the meow.zip and try the zgrapple.pk3.zip file again. Don't unzip it with stuffit or anything.

Go to that menu from your picture and delete ".zip" manually. You should now have a pk3 file. Put that in your baseoa directory, load the am_mckinley map, and marvel at my crappy texturing ability! Wink

Have a look at my notes on your picture for reference.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »

ah ok.. you helped yourself fix it in the end by posting that screenshot. I still had to look at it a few times after the 'hide extension' issue was highlighted before I could see what the problem was. Cheesy
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 06:44:34 PM »

it's still not loading though. No idea why.
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 08:18:27 PM »

it's still not loading though. No idea why.

Hmm ... I'm stumped.

Let's ask Openarena if it sees it.

Open the console and type:
\fdir *grapple*

Please give a screenshot of the results. It's probably easiest to do this with OA in windowed mode.

I've attached a picture of mine as an example.
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »

Here's what I get -

EDIT Ok I missed one of the earlier instruction sets - here's what happens now

One thing you might want to modify with the texture - the ridges going up to the hooks are supposed to be metallic. Like So -

Otherwise, nice. Well, that and the fact beam and gun don't line up.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:42:13 PM by Noob Sauce » Logged
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 06:48:59 AM »

KICK ASS! Cheesy

If you have cheats on, give yourself the lightning gun (give lightning gun). The untextured grapple beam will turn into lightning for as long as your on the map.

Will talk more later.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: