Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Issues with server list  (Read 9381 times)
baragor
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 02, 2009, 11:09:34 PM »

I've just recently discovered Open Arena and I've got to say: great job everyone!  Very cool...

That said, I've noticed a few issues with the server list in 0.8.1:

1.  It appears that filtering on some of the game types does not work.  One Flag Capture, Overload, Harvester and Domination game type filters all behave in the same manner as the "All" filter.  I looked at the source code and the fix seems easy enough - there are not cases in the switch statement in ArenaServers_UpdateMenu for them.

2.  The Only Humans filter currently changes the number of players on each server to reflect the actual number of human players without regard for whether or not the Show Empty filter is set.  I think that if the Show Empty filter is set, any servers that have 0 human players should not be shown on the list.

3.  When you change the filter type, the number of servers shown at the bottom does not change.  E.g. it always says "40 of 40 servers" or whatever, indicating the full number of servers that were pinged, rather than reflecting the actual number of servers that meet the filter criteria.

4.  If you first have Show Empty servers set to Off when the master server is queried, and then turn it on, you won't see any of the empty servers on the list without hitting refresh.

The last 2 are pretty minor (particularly the last...  I tried that out in Quake3 Demo and it actually behaves the same way for 3 and 4).  In any case, I actually already have fixes for these issues that I can post here; however when I replace the appropriate file in the pak0.pk3 file I can't connect to any servers on the list.  I get the message "Invalid game folder".  I didn't change the protocol type, so why is this happening?  Is there some sort of checksum that the server runs on my files?  I thought that was only possible with Punkbuster.
sittingduck
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:09:36 AM »

In-game browsers are notoriously horrible.

If you are using windows, get qtracker, it supports OA, and is fairly decent.
baragor
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 12:26:13 AM »

In-game browsers are notoriously horrible.

If you are using windows, get qtracker, it supports OA, and is fairly decent.

Well, that is a good point, but if I can contribute fixes to these issues maybe it would be helpful to someone.  Smiley  I'm actually running on Ubuntu Linux so qtracker doesn't look like an option for me.  I've looked around and saw mention of something called XQF, so maybe I will give that a try.  It's been a while since I've played many FPSs online, so I had forgotten how bad these in-game browsers can be.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 05:35:10 AM »

The last 2 are pretty minor (particularly the last...  I tried that out in Quake3 Demo and it actually behaves the same way for 3 and 4).  In any case, I actually already have fixes for these issues that I can post here; however when I replace the appropriate file in the pak0.pk3 file I can't connect to any servers on the list.  I get the message "Invalid game folder".  I didn't change the protocol type, so why is this happening?  Is there some sort of checksum that the server runs on my files?  I thought that was only possible with Punkbuster.

That's the issue. You shouldn't modify the game files themselves if you want to connect to the servers, but instead, make another pk3 with your modified files (for example z_pak7-serverfices.pk3) and put it in the baseoa folder. And don't forget to replace the modified pak0.pk3 with the original one.

Also, when fromhell say that 0.8.2 is closer, you can commit your modified files in this thread.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 02:40:39 PM »

I'm actually running on Ubuntu Linux so qtracker doesn't look like an option for me. 
You can try to run it under Linux with Wine.
Also, there is RN|Launcher: http://rainbow.furver.se/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1174

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
baragor
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »

That's the issue. You shouldn't modify the game files themselves if you want to connect to the servers, but instead, make another pk3 with your modified files (for example z_pak7-serverfices.pk3) and put it in the baseoa folder.

Thanks Armageddon Man, that's just what I needed to know.  I tried that out and it works.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: