Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Server load & other problems  (Read 7199 times)
Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 03, 2009, 12:39:37 PM »

Hi,

I have visited a couple of servers this afternoon (just wanted to practice a bit). What I noticed is that most servers allow far too many players. IMO setting max clients to 16 (!) for 'aggressor' or 'dm6' is absolutely crazy. Are these server admins out of their minds? A normal player load for these maps would be around 6 (at most).

What usually happened was that I started to play on a server with maybe 2-3 players (including some robots) and in no time the server was choke full and it was impossible to play normally. I am just wondering why the admins do this? I think that it would be much better to start maybe two servers on the same machine if there is sufficient bandwidth for 12-16 players. With modern machines it would not be a too big load on the CPU.

Another thing is that on some servers some of my config settings (not all) were inexplicably reset (after a map change). I like to play with 'r_picmip' set to 4. I started the  game like that then suddenly it was reset. Also crosshairs over No. 9 (i.e. those in 'more_crosshairs.pk3') did not work. They are OK when I play locally against bots. Any idea why? Is this because of that incredibly stupid 'sv_pure 1' setting?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:30:22 PM »

I think the problem is that everyone wants to play 16 players on the same server but the maps supporting it are missing. More players usually means more fun.

Crosshairs over 9 cannot be used on pure servers.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 03:52:57 PM »

I think the problem is that everyone wants to play 16 players on the same server but the maps supporting it are missing. More players usually means more fun.

You call this fun? Well, I call it insane, but opinions differ.

Thanks for the info, I thought that this might be the case.

Is there any particular reason why not? I mean, this is certainly a design decision, not some immutable law engraved in stone. What's wrong with a nice crosshair that does not hurt my eyes? Anyway, the source being open I or anybody else familiar with the code could write a patch in a few days that would enable us to bypass this ridiculous limitation. So what is the point of having and using 'sv_pure'?
RudyRailer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 04:13:50 PM »

You call this fun? Well, I call it insane, but opinions differ.

Thanks for the info, I thought that this might be the case.

Is there any particular reason why not? I mean, this is certainly a design decision, not some immutable law engraved in stone. What's wrong with a nice crosshair that does not hurt my eyes? Anyway, the source being open I or anybody else familiar with the code could write a patch in a few days that would enable us to bypass this ridiculous limitation. So what is the point of having and using 'sv_pure'?

Lazer/ =ctf= clanarena.org Xbattle  servers have your crosshairs available and are unpure:D Cheesy

the ctf server has a nice playermax of 10 players Wink

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:16:19 PM by RudyRailer » Logged
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 05:58:49 AM »

There aren't so much servers with 16 slots, but right it's often around 12, and 12 persons on a not that large DM map is chaos.

This may be because people follow tutorials for setting servers, and don't take the time to set some cleaver value for it. DM usually requires less slots than CTF I think.
Also, it's a max limit, but it's not always reached, so this setting doesn't matter that much.
Finally, spectators take a slot, I'd prefer to have the ability to distinguish players slot and specs slots, because I agree if people join a server and spec, or wait, or talk ... while being unable to join.

Admins are just too lazy, that may include myself Cheesy

Todo: Walk the cat.
sittingduck
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 08:51:15 PM »

My server is 64 slots. Cheesy

I think 13 was the most ever on it at once though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: