Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Teleporter Mapmodel  (Read 39268 times)
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« on: January 08, 2009, 05:40:27 AM »

It's good to have some recognition in a game. I tried to do this with the teleporter model but it's flawed since the beginning. Unfortunately md3 mapmodels are converted into brushes during mapcompilation making it worthless to alter the model afterwards. I'm about to fix a bug in ctf_compromise and oa_koth1. Then I'm going to do a huge change in ctf_inyard and finish oa_koth2. All these maps contain the former teleportermodel. I'd like to give a new one a go but when it comes to imaging how such a model should look like my mind goes blank.

Maybe the current one just needs a better skin/better UV layout. Why not creating a complete new one? I need some inspiration. Provide me some sketches and ideas! How would the perfect teleporter look like? Should it be yellow at all? A doorframe with a shiny surface or a glowing tube are not enough!

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:21:55 AM »

Will you make a single teleport for all the map or team-colored teleporters as well? Would be a nice idea to have different kinds of teleporters which can suit for some map styles (castle, q3dm17ish-space-like, etc)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 06:32:48 AM »

Would it be "wrong" to rip off the Q3 teleporter? I think it looked something like this, maybe not though:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2182/telewd5.png

The gray cylinder being transparent with a green glow from the bottom, perhaps the pad that the green glow comes off of could be similar to the green light on top of a rail ammo. I chose green because that color is most visible to the eyes, one could go the other way and make it violet. The teleporter somewhat reminds me of a door, kind of like those in aggressor, that teleport.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 06:56:29 AM »

Perhaps a big rusty metal thing shaped like Omega (the greek letter) with a rotating translucent spirally shader in the middle (two or three shader sections each rotating at different speeds might look really cool).

Maybe a big rusty metal capacitor with a bunch shaders between the plates showing small yellow energy bolts flowing left and right.

For gothic theme perhaps your current teleporter replacing the TV-noise with red translucent skulls scrolling horizontally around (like in 3 layers), and make the yellow bits, um, maybe rusty metal Cheesy

Ooh another idea:  A big silver semisphere or bowl (on it's side, so player walks towards the convex space) with three curved pipes that anchor it to the ground (joining at left, right and back).  With some glowy shit in the front area (blue energy particles rotating around).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:12:43 AM by andrewj » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 07:26:47 AM »

I have an idea for telep. model:

What about some kind of vortex generator? I attached a sketch on how it could be.
That floating thing is a diamondish. Tongue
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:30:21 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:47:19 AM »

@Neon_Knight aka Armageddon_Man: I thought about just one teleporter for all maps so everybody is able to recognize it in an instant. Themed teleporters would be possible if they have at least a few things in common or use just a different texture. I don't get the clue about teamteleporters since everybody can use them. The only usage I can think of such a custom skin/model would be two teleporters in the middle of a CTF map transporting you in each base. It's possible to mark these with surrounding textures, isn't it?
Anyway I would be glad to create one model I can live with before I think of multiple versions. Your vortex generator looks interesting. Thanks a lot for that sketch. It reminds me a bit of Indiana Jones.

@PsYthe: Well when I did the model we have so far I thought a bit of the Q3 teleporter. That's why it's yellow and has this basic shape. Thanks for your image. It looks like ripped from Commander Keen. The green glow could work well although it's different from what we had/saw so far.
Yes teleporters are extradimensional doors but shouldn't look like rectangular doors. That's too common and boring. There should be more tech or myth about it.

@andrewj: Could you do a sketch of that silver hemisphere teleporter. I like the idea. Often teleporters are entered from just one side (not the teleporter way but from one physical side as there is a wall directly behind it). Please think about how the sphere should look from behind.
The TV-noise and overall skin/shader of the current teleporter is bad. If there is enough time I try to redo it. The omega shaped idea is easy to imagine but it lacks originality and it's too obvious where it comes from.
A big old capacitor with rusty cables and pipes connected to it would be awesome. That's my favourite so far. Who could do a sketch of it or think about details that would be kool to have?

My favs are the Commander Keenish one from PsYthe and andrewjs capacitor so far. Thanks a lot guys for putting your brain on this. Any more ideas? Maybe we get this done quickly.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:01:37 AM »

A mini-Slipgate can work as well?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 01:31:52 PM »

just so you know, i really hate q3 style teleporters

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 05:29:35 AM »

so lei what do you like instead?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 09:39:17 PM »

I've made with pulchr's simple textures a model of my idea.
It's an ase model created with GTKR, plus the map file.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 03:52:41 AM »

Thank you Neon_Knight.

I'll take a look in March. Time is short these days. Sad

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 03:02:22 PM »

Render stuff:

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 10:39:57 PM »

Renders aren't very effective showing off models. Try using vanilla 3d view, with flat shading.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 01:27:41 PM »

Okay. I am about the skin the damn thing and it appears that it would be better to use 1024x1024 or even higher resolutions for this. Next problem is that osx blender port only supports half of the texture painting stuff. Sad

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 02:38:38 PM »

Next problem is that osx blender port only supports half of the texture painting stuff.
Barf, run some LiveCD Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 03:21:49 PM »

Due osx 10.6 does not support my architecture anymore I will install linux another day. Until then I refuse to use a liveCD. That is kind of silly. Thanks for that suggestion anyway. 

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 08:35:38 AM »

Cacatoes: Tell me about a good liveCD for PPCs. Ubuntu is not working good enough and does not support it anymore.

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 02:05:18 PM »

Oh, I'm not familiar at all with LiveCDs, but if it's an architecture problem I'd suggest DebianLive ?
Though, if one was containing Blender preinstalled it might have been helpful. I'm not sure either some LiveCD can install some custom app, I'd say yes.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 03:01:47 PM »

Cacatoes: Tell me about a good liveCD for PPCs. Ubuntu is not working good enough and does not support it anymore.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ

Jaunty for PowerPC is available : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 01:48:49 AM »

But would it make a difference? Maybe there is some stupid x86 assembly in the painting functions.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 01:37:02 PM »

Slow progress. Half way done. Due reduced features of texture painting in blender I moved over to texture projection painting and used a snake skin as base. (not obvious)
Nature is good. Why not use it? Animals deserve to die.

Actually it is not a snake but a blind worm.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »

JSYK, I'm using it in the latest am-underworks2, below the stairs. Although I'm not so sure about if it clashes with the look of the map. :/

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 04:44:54 AM »

what ever happened here? what's the current status of the teleporter?

i'm asking because i need a teleporter model in my maps and it would be good if openarena had a teleporter that players can identify easily.

i couldn't find more a recent thread discussing the teleporter...
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 05:07:05 AM »

If I had 200% time...

One is finished but a 2nd skin was on the way.
A second, more industrial one is in early modeling phase since last spring.

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 05:37:54 AM »

i only need one - the style is not that important atm.

is it submitted to the svn? it's not in 0.8.5, right?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: