Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: textures license issues  (Read 6190 times)
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« on: January 07, 2009, 07:09:09 AM »

I found a very nice set of textures called total textures
It comes with a readme.txt like this

Code:
Welcome to the 3DTotal.com first product - Total Textures v1

Double click index.htm to open interface and browse CD contents.

Textures and Max .mat libraries can be accessed from the html interface or
selected directly from the CD's folders.

Please send any questions regarding this product to cdsupport@3dtotal.com
Please send any feedback to sales@3dtotal.com as we really appreciate knowing
what you think of our products and in turn helps us with future releases.

License Agreement :

All contents of this CD 'Total Textures Vol 1' are copyright 3DTotal.com 2002

Any contents of this 'Total Textures Vol1' CD may not be re-sold, packaged,
loaned or otherwise redistributed.

The contents of this 'Total Textures Vol1' CD are offered royalty free when used
within a work of art. You may modify them in any way in order to conform them to your needs,
however any such modifications are still derivatives of the original image and may not be
sold or distributed as your own textures.

IMPORTANT REQUEST - PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ILLEGAL COPIES OF THIS CD

We have worked very hard to produce this professional texture collection,
yet it has been priced with the hobbyist in mind. We have plans to produce
future collections of similar or greater content but still within this price range.
Please support us by not making illegal copies of this CD and allowing us to continue
to release these future products.

Thank you for your support

Tom Greenway
3DTotal.com

I read from the wiki this
Code:
Licence

Don't forget this project needs open content! So don't add anything that is already copyrighted (like content from commercial games). Your contribution must be licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). No other licence will be accepted.

The GPL allows others to copy, change and redistribute your contributed work (like it is done in GNU/Linux). Please take take this in consideration before contributing.

I understand nothing about copyright and license but as far as i can read in the readme.txt I can use this textures for my art and distribute them if i dont say the textures are mine...

Is that ok?

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:27:00 AM »

You may modify them in any way in order to conform them to your needs,
however any such modifications are still derivatives of the original image and may not be
sold or distributed as your own textures.
That rather means : Even if you work on some texture, you can't claim copyright on it.
So, even derivatives can't be distributed. :/

Todo: Walk the cat.
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »

I do not intend to claim them to be mine...

I intend to say, texturex by: etc etc

Would it be possible to use em in my maps this way?

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 07:47:14 AM »

It seems to me that the license you quoted is the one found on the CD which they sell. If you buy the CD then you probably have the right to use the stuff in any work of yours and distribute your work as you please. You just may not re-sell or distribute the textures themselves. But again the license is not clear, so to be sure you have to ask them specifically what rights you get when you by the stuff.

The free textures you can download are a different matter. On the WEB site in the 'free stuff' section this license is presented:

All of the models/texture maps available on 3dtotal maybe used royalty-free in your own work but they may not be used for any commercially or profit related purposes of any kind (please see the 3dtotal CD section for commercial textures). Also, these meshes/textures may not be sold individually or included in, or sold as, or provided for free in, a collection of any kind or any other electronic transfer methods.

Please also rememeber you must always credit the individual who originally created the model. This credit must appear within your work and by using the model/s on 3DTotal you agree that you will do this.

So, it is equivalent to a Creative Commons Non-Commercial Attribute license: you may use it in you work and may distribute your work for free, but must give credit to the author. You may not use it in GPL projects because that allows commercial use.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: