Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: QVM compile on NTFS volume  (Read 17420 times)
Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

Not the brightest bulb on the strand...

« on: January 23, 2009, 02:46:27 PM »

Anybody know a workaround for this?

All my drives are ntfs...when i run the batch files it gives me a cant find whatever source file error...this is a known issue, but I am having trouble finding a solution...

I've got a simple killingspree/goomba kill mod built and would like to put it in a pk3 to distrbute via a game server...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...EXCEPT "SWITCH TO LINUX/UBUNTU/FREEBSD" or any half-assed non-helpful suggestion like that :-)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 05:55:37 PM »

Which batch file?

And which file cannot be found?

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »

ummm....I'll have to double check...it's been a month since I've tried to do it--was down under for the holidays and didn't have the willpower with the sun and what not being out and the weather warm...

and the women gorgeous
Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »

Okay...the problem is...I need help in compiling the qvm's in general

i have the batch files in their respective directories cgame, game, and q3_ui, and the lcc/q3asm, etc executables in the vm directories under those...

how do i set it up to compile?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 07:56:52 PM »

I have just read the last section of http://code3arena.planetquake.gamespy.com/tutorials/tutorial2.shtml

Looks like you just need to run the batch files one by one.

What it does NOT tell you is that you will need to add g_unlagged and cg_unlagged.c (possible the missing files you are talking about) and to the game and cgame batch files + other files you might have added.

Then zip the vm directory (with path like vm/game.qvm) and rename it to a pk3-file.

EDIT:
Then I think about it there might be a lot more problems... ioquake splitted the source into subdirectories like botlib and qcommon.

cgame.bat needs some lines changes:
%cc% ../../game/q_shared.c
into
%cc% ../../qcommon/q_shared.c
and
%cc% ../../game/q_math.c
into
%cc% ../../qcommon/q_math.c

EDIT 2:
And remove lcc etc. from the zip file.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:11:05 PM by sago007 » Logged

Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:13:08 PM »

Sago,

Thanks for the quick reply...that link was really helpful--see the end of this post

btw...the file it was refusing to find was "q_platform.h," which is of course an include in q_shared.h which is included in all the respective projects/modules.
I figured out the fix...I changed qshared.h to reference it as #include "../qcommon/q_platform.h" or something like that...bingo...the batch file found it

Now the other problem is that I think created an f*d up project so I could use MSVC to test/debug with VS2008.   I got all the necessary files for all the code out of the mod-sdk, replaced them in the ioquake3 source...I've checked it a million times, and I've tested the dll's over and over again looking for bugs...none found that suggest I'm missing anything functional

I think I screwed up somehow with the way the mod-sdk is organized with the qvm making batch files...I'll d/l the original tarball again, work with that, and try to put it into my dir's in the necessary parts.   
Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 08:19:57 PM »

also, just to give a rundown on what I'm doing overall...

I'm trying to integrate a whole bunch of the features from ETPub for ET into OA.

I know TJW has already done this with Tremulous, and its originally his code (which to my knowledge is open-source).  The reason I'm reworking the ioquake3 wheel with this respect is because Tremulous has started work that seriously departs from the ioquake3 base--to the point that last time I checked, I don't have the energy or the time to worry about figuring out. 

list of stuff I've gotten integrated already:
kill/death sprees
server banners
Goomba Kills

stuff I'm working on integrating:
!kick, !ban, console administration that doesn't rely on rcon
Multi-Kills (I need to figure out should the "Excellent" award stay or go in the process)

stuff I want to create:
End of multi-player match awards
a sophisticated kill/player rating system
ability to stats dump into a csv or xml type file for easy display on the web
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 06:33:01 PM »

if you get the code from etpub it will be illegal
better get it from tremulous
however imho most of the admin system belongs to the server not the game
(though it is more convenient to have in the game.qvm)
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 10:44:40 PM »

"if you get the code from etpub it will be illegal"

I'm gonna be working with Super Retardo (currently banned) on finishing up his mod with his admin features....

Uhhh the code is from ETPUB the mod...not ET the game...the code is by Tony J. White, which he worked into Tremulous as well.   But like Super Retardo said Tremulous has started to really depart code wise from the original Q3 code and Tremulous broke the original IOQuake3 VS project files

Neither one of us have the time, or energy to figure out a new dev environment besides Visual Studio, and I mooned him via webcam when he suggested we just pour through thousands of lines of code using nothing more than notepad's unsophisticated find feature.

The reality is, ETPUB doesn't have a license but its code is publicly and freely available.....BUT NoQuarter which uses the ETPUB code in its entirety does have a license and it is open-source.  SOOOO WELL JUST USE THE NQ code instead...

epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 07:15:19 PM »

you can't use it with gpl imho
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 09:54:11 PM »

yeah id agree with you fapper...its not GPL...which is why it would be a "mod" done for OA by somebody other than OA.

We're def not stealing somebody's work......before its all said and done anyhow SR's gonna run it by its original creator himself, Tony J. White. 

by the way...speaking of which Retardo tried running his game files through the game.bat deal today...

got this error (code works in dll form though)

"operands of have illegal types 'pointer to char' and int'" 

he's not a hardcore c/c++ programmer...neither am i...

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:38:17 AM by SharpestTool » Logged
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 01:45:48 AM »

"operands of have illegal types 'pointer to char' and int'" 
Find the code and place typecasts.

Different compilers have different opinions on when to make an automatic type cast.

The game uses pointer manipulation a lot. It would have been considered bad in C++ but is common in C because the language does not have a iterator. It is not a codestyle I would recommend to use in future projects.

epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 06:04:50 AM »

etpub code is a patch against et code
so it was coded over et and diffed as a .patch
thus it has a license that is defined by et mod sdk
which is incompat with gpl and probably many others

sago007... pointer manip. is not bad in c++, just a choice of design
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 10:52:10 AM »

so me and the Retard will release the mod independent of OA then...more work for us keeping up with the code, licenses, etc, but itll help us make it better

anywhoooooooooo..........

On a more positive/uplifting CAN-DO note...the progress on the mod in .dll form is this...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goomba Kills
Killing Sprees
MultiKills
Rotating Server Banners

JUST FINISHED: 02/06/2009

HP of the Last Person that Killed You

All of these are asset-less features that are completely configurable by a server admin-only the sound for the goomba kill is specified in code.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW sago...thanks for the info about the typecasting, its what SuperRetardo thought was the problem...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:08:28 AM by SharpestTool » Logged
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 01:21:20 AM »

NQ for ET has a "reciprocal license agreement," not exactly GPL Vx so it wouldnt qualify for OA inclusion....

It is though definitely an open-source, free to all for distribution, mod it, use it however license.
And before SR decides to release it, we're gonna run it by the NQ/ETPub people...

UPDATE:
Now working on integrating the actual OA code features...gametypes/kill types etc.

We have been using stock IOQ3 code thus far, cuz no organized OA Source exists.  If there is a rhyme or reason to it, it aint easy to work with from the SVN and the oachanges.diff file throws errors in line 118 or 119 with TortoiseMerge in Windows...

NEXT UP:
ADMIN FEATURES

Roadmap:
Gameplay
PlayerRating
Awards
TeamShuffling(Based on Above)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 05:58:29 AM »

no organized OA Source exists
Define 'organized'. No one has kept the Visual Studio projects up to date, but that should be the only problem and relative easy to fix.

All the 0.8.1 source is here: http://openarena.ws/svn/source/081/

If I was a Windows user the only thing I would be missing is the qvm tools but I don't think that ioquake3 has Windows versions of that either.

oachanges.diff is from 0.6 and I had problem with it too while 0.6 was the current release.

SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 01:44:06 PM »

Yeah I didn't listen to Retard boy when he was talking to me about it, he's retarded...go figure.

The game logic works/compiles out of the box... 

The engine source is all out of whack though...He got sick of trying to run down all the errors because of all the mismatches with the net code...
Most of those discrepancies relate to IPv6/VOIP stuff.

SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 09:51:15 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong here please....
(but please don't flame)

I checked out the ETPub/No Quarter code, with what Retard Boy and I pulled to start our mod...
Checked it against the original Enemy Territory Code...
Turns out we have NOT pulled/modified any code that is original to ET that's not already in the Q3/OA source...
So all the code we have used is from ETPub/No Quarter....

My question is...

All we would need to do then to release it is get the explicit permission to use it under GPL v2 terms from the ETPub/No Quarter teams right?
(And yes, we have the evidence documented)

Any honest help would be appreciated...but please don't flame or have a negative can't do attitude about it...
(If it cannot be done, it cannot be done, but we won't assume that fact without KNOWING it!!!)

Cheers...

SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 10:53:36 PM »

By the way...just wanted to give credit where credit is due...

Thanks SeriousFrapper for the heads up on the Licensing issue with ET...the original ET license leaves no room for error...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: