Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OAReduce (0.0001 bat version)  (Read 9810 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: January 29, 2009, 01:37:47 AM »

I was bored once, tried to make an OA reducing script.
Half-ing the textures (ALL OF THEM including models and gfx) and ogging sounds reduces OA to 140MB.

REQUIRED:
- 7zip (redundant!)
- Infozip
- Oggenc (I used oggenc2 from some build out there which was sse2 optimized)
- Imagemagick

BUGS:
- Imagemagick is required and imagemagick sucks (borks the alphas, bloated (Requires at least 25-50mb))

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 07:05:04 AM »

This is good, do you plan to use the result for some next release, or is it just a test to get an idea of what is possible ?
note: I used an ogg song on a map, it took some time to load when looping, so I suppose low space is not always better.

Todo: Walk the cat.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:23:21 AM »

I done this and still have the files but it was for 0.7.1

Took me 10 mins using a program called thumbsplus. I reduced all 512x512 to 256x256 and 256x256 to 128x128.

I think I left the jpg's and all the non-square images (since I thought they might be fixed size for parts of the maps)

Is there a reason for using imagemagik etc?

epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »

Is there a reason for using imagemagik etc?
fast and works in commandline/tty
you can also use python image library Tongue
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:11:09 AM »

Yea good for people who are familiar with it and use it often. For me I use the tard alternative as it's most efficient, waste of time to learn something I'm hardly going to use. Takes me a few mins to scan and batch resize an entire tree of image files.

I done the 081 pak4-textures.pk3 and the file size is 33.6mb.  I did try one oa map and didnt notice any problems, I use 800 res so unlikely to notice any loss of quality - performance is hard to guage... I wasnt getting completely stable 125 but as others have said, this could well be map related.

I will upload this file and do the rest then post the links to the paks. If this is a waste of time then please let me know as i do not have a mega-fast connection.
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 10:23:19 AM »

models pak done.

------------------  oldsize newsize

pak2--players.pk3 72.6mb 43.9mb
pak4-textures.pk3 94.8mb 36.3mb

epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 10:31:34 AM »

also change all non-transparent TGAs to JPEGs with hi-compression
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »

I'm not that advanced to filter the transprency ones yet Cheesy I could do a full conversion of tga to jpg and they would be all be contained in orig folders.. dont know if that is any use

I have also coverted every wav file to ogg.. but would that work in game or would the source need to be modified for that?

These are the coverted files:
http://q3eu.com/pak2-players.pk3
http://q3eu.com/pak4-textures.pk3

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »

Yea good for people who are familiar with it and use it often. For me I use the tard alternative as it's most efficient, waste of time to learn something I'm hardly going to use. Takes me a few mins to scan and batch resize an entire tree of image files.
Imagemagick is a nice tool, specially when you're an opensource addict and have no tool to manipulate numerous images at a time (I don't know to translate "traitement par lot", which GIMP doesn't do). It's also handy when using shell script, for expl, you can easily make a script to build an HTML (or BBCode...) gallery with the images you just cropped/resized/converted/... . You don't have to learn everything, only the few parameters you need ;-) so it doesn't take that much time, and once you're aware of what that tool can do it can save you some time ; but I think it's mostly for linux users who are already a bit trained with shell scripts. I never really took the pain to learn windows scripting ... Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 12:52:31 PM »

(I don't know to translate "traitement par lot", which GIMP doesn't do).

Batch process Cheesy

You can get lots of php progs (i find them on hotscripts.com) that do the same stuff, only php is using imagemagik to control the conversions. I downloaded PHP Album for my map thumbs, its great.. just shove all the images in one folder and you can process/display them in which format you want.

I wouldnt know how to do it in photoshop or gimp, but i can easily do sounds using 'batch convertor' in soundforge. Thats what I used to modify my risky oa sounds.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: