Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello OA Team. Model Request.  (Read 12575 times)
Perle
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: February 05, 2009, 01:57:43 AM »

I played OA with Q3Rally yesterday and now i am wondering if you guys would give me the permission to use this really nice OA weapons in my mod q3rally? They look so much better then the Q3A ones.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:37:25 AM »

q3rally is sdk derived and not GPL, and having mixed incompatible licenses is a very iffy issue.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:24:47 AM »

If I'm not wrong, you can use these weapons provided you follow GPL rules (logical), so, mainly, if you modify weapons, you should also publish the sources of your modifications.
Also, you can't make a derivative of a GPL work based on ressources which are not GPL-compatible.

I think there is no problem if you use OA weapons as they are, while continuing your work on your Q3Rally mod.

From more distant concerns, the sad point is : the fact you're working on a closed source project prevents you from totally releasing your own work under opensource licenses.
It is better to build some work from totally opensource material, and to be able to give things back to the community, especially if you recognize some value to the opensource world.

But you're free Wink and I suppose building some q3rally mod from scratch is not really possible so it leaves you few choice ...

Todo: Walk the cat.
Perle
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:27:08 PM »

The code of q3rally is free for all. Anyone can modify it and so on. The code is located on code.google.com. What else should be done for beeing gpl compliant?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 01:04:54 PM »

q3rally is based on the Quake3 SDK which has a strict clause in its license restricting use of it to be for a paid for full version of Quake 3. It cannot be changed unless you start the mod over from scratch using the GPL'd Q3  sources. Availability of the code != "GPL compliant".

You're probably better off getting a modeler to do your own models rather than scavenge from a FPS anyway. Arm mounted guns do not look good on vehicles. Ever.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:06:26 PM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Perle
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:12:57 PM »

This was my first idea. But finding a modeler is not that easy for a project that is played by perhaps 50 people. ;-) Changing all the code to the Q3A 1.32 is better in your opinion?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: