Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: announcer sometimes doesnt report if the enemy takes your flag  (Read 15710 times)
aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« on: February 09, 2009, 11:57:55 AM »

we just played some ctf training matches in baseoa and it happened several times that the announcer didnt tell that the enemy team got our flag. i dont know if this problem is caused by mumble, which i used at the same time, or if this is a bug in openarena. i also dont know if thats the only message the announcer doesnt tell from time to time. this is a _huge_ disadvantage, think of league matches..
JESUS SCOUSE
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »

I have noticed that playing online.
I presume the announcer was looking the other way or having a drink of tea?
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »

yeh, don't play during tea time.
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 05:02:37 AM »

we just played some ctf training matches in baseoa and it happened several times that the announcer didnt tell that the enemy team got our flag. i dont know if this problem is caused by mumble, which i used at the same time, or if this is a bug in openarena. i also dont know if thats the only message the announcer doesnt tell from time to time. this is a _huge_ disadvantage, think of league matches..
I often have the feeling I'm missing flag announcements.
What I did notice is that sometimes the enemy takes the flag, then after ~1.5 seconds I hear the announcement. But it should be instantaneous, right? (s_useOpenAL "0", no pulse audio)

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
RudyRailer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:27:15 AM »

same here.
When i died and run back to defend our flag, i notice its gone, then 2 secs later i hear "blue/red scores"(depends on what team im in ofcourse)!
I often think it has to do with to many sounds goin on @ once, but then again when, i play on Xbattle server it always announces right. (yes yes i love xbattle, the server coming back up soon with 4 maps to start with)
So it doesnt have anything to do with 2 many sounds @ once.
I dont use mumble or any other teamspeak program, so thats not it either.

So sorry i cant help u to fix a settings problem for this.
But your not the only one either
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:59:25 AM »

I didn't pay attention to these...
When I have the flag, I check the bottom-right icons to see if my flag is in my base, regularly.
I play often without sound or very lower sound too.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 07:49:09 PM »

What I did notice is that sometimes the enemy takes the flag, then after ~1.5 seconds I hear the announcement. But it should be instantaneous, right?
No, the code will only play one announcement every 0.75 seconds, including things like "you have lost the lead".  If many things happen at the same time, a flag announcement could be delayed for several seconds.  However I didn't see any obvious bug which could cause a flag announcement to be dropped.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 06:04:37 AM »

I remember of having this issue, I didn't experience it in OA 0.7.1, and so I'd say it appeared later, maybe when flag sounds were changed & announcement sounds redone.

Todo: Walk the cat.
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 07:57:25 AM »

What I did notice is that sometimes the enemy takes the flag, then after ~1.5 seconds I hear the announcement. But it should be instantaneous, right?
No, the code will only play one announcement every 0.75 seconds, including things like "you have lost the lead".  If many things happen at the same time, a flag announcement could be delayed for several seconds.  However I didn't see any obvious bug which could cause a flag announcement to be dropped.
Do you know any way to get rid of useless messages, or give priority to the flag messages? Do you know where is the code which does this?

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 03:36:41 PM »

seta cg_drawRewards "0" turns off the Excellent, Defense, Impressive and so on thingies, you don't get it displayed as a "medal" and you don't hear the sound, but I still notice the "Enemy has your flag" being dropped. Typically when I just return the flag and an enemy was waiting for that on the flagspot...
Often means he slips by me, I realize it whe I hear the enemy-capture announce.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 09:51:04 PM »

Do you know any way to get rid of useless messages, or give priority to the flag messages? Do you know where is the code which does this?
Well code/cgame/cg_event.c is where the EV_GLOBAL_TEAM_SOUND event is processed and the appropriate sound is added to the buffer.  I dunno if the sound dropping problem occurs there, or earlier (perhaps in server code) or in the buffering system.  Implementing a priority system would be a lot of work.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 04:03:52 AM »

As PopeJo pointed out, the issue remains (or not ? I forgot and got used to it)

Code:
file *
flagcapture_opponent.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 22050 Hz
flagcapture_yourteam.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 22050 Hz
flagreturn_opponent.wav:  RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 22050 Hz
flagreturn_yourteam.wav:  RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 22050 Hz
flagtaken_opponent.wav:   RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz
flagtaken_yourteam.wav:   RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz
voc_base_attack.wav:      RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz
voc_blue_returned.wav:    RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz
voc_blue_scores.wav:      RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz
voc_enemy_1flag.wav:      RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz
voc_enemy_flag.wav:       RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz
voc_red_returned.wav:     RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz
voc_red_scores.wav:       RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz
voc_team_1flag.wav:       RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz
voc_team_flag.wav:        RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz
voc_you_flag.wav:         RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz

Also, here are a few missing sounds, according to: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3167.msg25528#msg25528
Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
\sound\teamplay\               
-------------------------------------------------------------------
flagcap_blu
flagcap_red
flagret_blu
flagret_red
flagreturn_yourteam_02
flagtaken_opponent_01
flagtaken_yourteam_01
flagtaken_yourteam_02
flagtk_blu   
flagtk_red   

If I have time I'll try to test this replacing a few sounds with an additionnal pk3 on unpure servers ..

Todo: Walk the cat.
davidd
Half-Nub

Cakes 6

[Z] server maintainer

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 09:46:05 AM »

I think:

It has nothing to do with missing soundfiles. It occurs also in Free For All deathmatch mode. But than the " tied for the lead" or "taken the lead" announcements.
If you gain an excellent award (kill twice in 5 seconds) than the announcer only tells you excellent, but not "taken the lead"

It goes like this:

Excellent, Excellent,....... "you have lost the lead"

My guess therefore is that it is a mixer problem when 2 sounds start at the same moment.

DD.

Openarena, the freedom to contribute and extend.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: