Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OA 0.81 goes dark after playing a while.  (Read 7686 times)
riwa
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

1337 h4xx0r

« on: March 26, 2009, 01:04:41 PM »

This is very odd. Like I said, the whole screen goes dark (not black) after playing a while. First it happened after 2-3 min. Then I restarted oa and it worked fine. But after (7-8 min) it goes dark again. I've been using the 0.77 client for a couple of days before and it never happened there.

Any ideas?

Well, I don't care if it's God's own personal anti-son-of-a-bitch machine, or a giant hula hoop, we're not gonna let 'em have it! What we will let 'em have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in!

....Am I right, Marines?
....Damn right I am!
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 01:08:22 PM »

I don't know many about Linux, but I suggest to try out the Legacy client. It will be inside there somewhere...

http://openarena.ws/svn/bin/

The Legacy client is based upon the 0.7.7 one, if I remember correctly.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »

The Legacy client is based upon the 0.7.7 one, if I remember correctly.
Legacy is based on 0.7.1 (as far as I can recall)

It sounds like a problem related to the screen saver or power management (I have had the same problem with other programs). I don't know why it doesn't detect key presses.

You can try an older binary like the legacy ones or a newer like the ones in this thread: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1933.0 (they have quite a lot of bug fixes already).

There are nothing offending in my posts.
riwa
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

1337 h4xx0r

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 01:27:54 PM »

But aren't we walking around the problem then? There must be another solution (like fixing the code) since this didn't happen with an older version.

I'm checking the link you provided but it doesn't look like my issues. I'll try it nonetheless, just in case. I've also fixed so that my computer doesn't go idle at all, so I should test run oa again.

Well, I don't care if it's God's own personal anti-son-of-a-bitch machine, or a giant hula hoop, we're not gonna let 'em have it! What we will let 'em have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in!

....Am I right, Marines?
....Damn right I am!
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »

If sago's binaries solve the problem, that's not a walking around, because the next version's binary will be based on them. And the Legacy client was featured in OA's zip versions, because on some PCs the normal executable gives you a buggy mouse-control... and only Legacy was the way to fix it.

I'm not sure, but I think even Legacy will be updated to the next stable... (although I could be wrong, I'm not a developer)

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:56:13 PM »

I'm checking the link you provided but it doesn't look like my issues.
I have only highlighted visible changes (no bugfixes). The engine is a modified ioquake3 engine, so bug and bugfixes are inherited from there. ioqauke3 is currently stabilizing to get a stable 1.36.

The current test binary have several fixes to the renderer (from ioquake3) so your problem may have been solved.

@Graion Dilach
I don't think the Legacy will be updated (apart from protocol/master server changes). They are already based on the latest ioquake3 with the old input code.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
riwa
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

1337 h4xx0r

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »

well I know what the problem is. You pinpointed it pretty good. Apparently the computer goes into "idle" even though I'm playing oa. Just been playing for 2 hours straight without a darkening screen.

So I think I'll wait with the binaries (though I have them stored on my hd).

Thanks a lot for your help!

....Am I right, Marines?
....Damn right I am!
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 04:59:38 PM »

@Graion Dilach
I don't think the Legacy will be updated (apart from protocol/master server changes). They are already based on the latest ioquake3 with the old input code.

All right then. Idiot here, so thanks the info.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: