Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena Vs. QuakeLive!  (Read 45670 times)
ShadeX
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: March 17, 2009, 06:43:59 PM »

First, I'd like to say that OA wins!

bill-----
Half-Nub

Cakes 8

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:34:11 PM »

Good.  :-)

Pros and cons for each?  Anything in particular that was a dealbreaker for QuakeLive?

0kelvin
I LEFT THE FORUM BY EDITING ALL MY POSTS OUT!!! HAHAHA!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET!
Half-Nub

Cakes -54

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:39:39 AM »

openarena
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:36:19 PM by 0kelvin » Logged
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »

still just windows
JESUS SCOUSE
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »

Quakelive is unplayable on my low spec machine.
Sticking with OA.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:45:29 PM »

quakelive doesn't work on netscape 3 gold. i'm disappointed.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
chaoticsoldier

Cakes 18

This space intentionally left blank.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:41:21 PM »

Quakelive is unplayable on my low spec machine.
Sticking with OA.
Hmmm. I actually get better performance with Quake Live.

OA has tons of better maps. Many of the QL maps are unimpressive, although a lot of people will probably disagree with me on that.
The Longest Yard in Quake Live is way too small (and other maps are too).

0101100101101111011101010010011101110110011001010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000111011101100001011100110111010001100101011001000010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000111010001101001011011010110010100101110
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 11:54:20 AM »

I've wrote a full opinion about both games, both have its advantages and its disadvantages IMHO.
But I lost it. -.-

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 07:14:47 PM »

I've wrote a full opinion about both games, both have its advantages and its disadvantages IMHO.
But I lost it. -.-

I fear suicide too. Grin
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 04:59:28 AM »

QL doesnt support linux and is proprietary. OA runs great on linux and is free as in speech.

+1 for the apt-get install openarena
sittingduck
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »

QL is a lot of fun, and I like the built in stats, leaderboards, etc. (when they work)
It taxes your hardware a lot more, no question about that. I get around half the FPS from q3 in ql.

Weapons are different, in QL. More balanced.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 07:55:24 AM »

Both games IMHO has both its pros and cons:

OA:
- Pros:

• More options and gamemodes.
  • Full compatibility with almost all the Q3 stuff. (Some mods are getting trouble, but mainly those who interest to the players work well)
  • Thanks to its GPL nature, it can be improved to the infinite in any aspect, making it a game with full potential (This is something which can't be said for most closed-source games) and to not to have "ultraĆ¼berFOREVERsucky" stuff. (something I tried to prove with the 4 maps I've modified: oa_dm1, oa_dm5, q3dm6ish and specially hydronex ^^)
  • Missionpack weapons and gamemodes!!! (Harvester is awesome ^^ for those who love UT3's Greed, you'll find at home with it ^^)
  • The Unlagged feature. ^^
  • In every version more and more people its coming to the game, specially since 0.8.1. I hope this can be followed on the next versions as well. Smiley
  • The easiness of install and use for both three systems. (Win, Lin, Mac) You just unzip, configure if you want/like, and you're playing. ^^
- Cons:

• Something found at the forums, not at the game itself: there's not so much contributors, some people who helps us with the stuff and the reporting, and the sad of it all: as tuppe666 pointed in another thread, there's A LOT OF HATERS AND WHINERS, specially those whose main complains are about the maps (for example, those who just say: "OA maps sucks" and don't propose ways to solve the issues) and other things about the game itself. (I don't care for mind-closed purists tho, you can't deal with them, and in most cases it's better to leave them to stick to their game...) I don't mind the licensing problems, which is what most trouble causes here, because if you want to contribute to any project you have to stick to their rules, here both rules are in the form of DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO]NOTTODO[/url][/u][/b] and DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ]DeveloperFAQ[/url][/u][/b].
- Don't Care/Between_Good_And_Bad:

• I'm not sure about the people, generally speaking massive gaming communities have a LOT of idiots in there (mostly in these times where idiots are everywhere, not just in gaming but in other environments too) who are there just to ruin the fun in many of the ways the fun can be ruined. Sad ATM and IMHO this is something which is bad and good for OA, bad for people playing on servers (but as fromhell pointed on another thread it doesn't mean that the game is dead, not all of the people playing it wants to play online, despite that this is the tendency for the games of the nature of OA/Q3/UT and many other MP-oriented games) and good for don't having so much idiots over there. But again, I'm not so sure about it on how it will be in the future... time will tell... (B/G/A/B)
QL:
- Pros:

• When it's finished you should be able to play it in every browser in every OS I guess.
  • The new maps rock the hell out!!! specially the CA ones. ^^
  • It has TEAM ARENA STUFF!!! (weapons, maps, and items... I just love it, too bad they haven't put 1FCTF, Harv and OL there Sad)
  • The weapon rebalance
  • The way everything (stats & awards specially) is integrated/implemented there.
  • Easiness of installing: download a plugin, login, wait until everything is downloaded, and the next time you only have to login.
- Cons:

• You can't play 3rd. party maps/mods unless ID approves them.
  • ATM all the servers are hosted in USA/Europe making impossible for people like me who aren't living in USA/Europe to play well without the ping/PL/lag issues. I missed the Unlagged feature. Sad
  • Some lack of options.
- Don't Care/Between_Good_And_Bad:

• Bright skins.
  • The Ads. It seems like it won't be interfering with the playability after all.
  • I didn't see any difference in my system compared between Q3, OA and QL. I have a Sempron 2800+, 1GB of DDR RAM, and an XFXForce 5500 with 256 MB RAM. I had to stick to Windows because of my family. -.-
  • The skill thing. I mean, all of us started losing when we started with games, mostly for big differences starting from 20+ or 30+ to 10-, reaching 0 and negative score, maybe it can be good for newcomers, but it can be against self-improving :/
Don't Care/Between Good And Bad means that I have a non-fully formed opinion about this point, or that I'm not sure about something.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of things in both sides. But ATM this is all I'm thinking of both games.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:14:25 AM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 03:44:46 AM »

I want to like QuakeLive, since I can play games with lots of people
with low ping (here in Australia).  But I just don't.

Probably the biggest thing I don't like are the sounds.  Most of the
voices sound like one single guy made them all, including Crash Smiley.
For me it's not a pleasant audio environment to spend time in.

Secondly the weapns seem so much weaker. MG, SG, RG all seem to
require more shots to frag someone.  [I'm not 100% sure this is the
case, maybe I've just been shooting badly].  The satisfaction of fragging
a bot with a single RG hit is gone.

QL makes me appreciate all the variety of player models in OA,
Sergei with his "hehe yeah", Tony with his "forget about it", Merman
with funny jump sound, etc... as well as all the girl models, like
Kyonshi saying "ni hao ma?" after killing you (heh).  On this front
OA >> QL Smiley

One thing I do like about QL are the weapon accuracy stats.  It would
be great to have that fetaure in OA (almost tempted to try it myself).
Also be great if you could see other people's stats (for current game)
when spectating them.

P.S. another major thing in QL is the "125fps" physics code, which
means everybody is using the same physics (can jump the same height
and distance) as everybody else, regardless of their framerate.  I really
hope that code can be incorporated into ioquake3 sometime.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:51:21 AM by andrewj » Logged
SlippJigg
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »

I am a big fan of OpenArena, but look at the Truth.

ID is behind quakelive, so they Will fix the problems, in a timely fashion.  Quakelive is the evolution of quake 3 arena and is an Ofiicial ID Software project.  This is going to be awesome, maybe a lead in to Doom3Live...who know.

Comparing OA to QL is like comparing Apples to Oranges, Quakelive is just better.

Game Not Over,
SlippJigg

p.s. I am ready to compare QuakeLive with OpenArenaLive when it becomes available!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 07:39:18 PM »

It will be a VERY hard work for Id to try to please both purists and not purists at the same time, at the cost of putting down excellent features like TA ones.

Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 08:51:57 PM »

ID is behind quakelive, so they Will fix the problems, in a timely fashion.
Your concepts are flawed.
fractor
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 01:40:39 AM »

lordhavoc is working on a macosx/linux port?Huh
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »

I thought lordhavoc's baby was Darkplaces. The Linux port (Darkplaces) is great.
0kelvin
I LEFT THE FORUM BY EDITING ALL MY POSTS OUT!!! HAHAHA!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET!
Half-Nub

Cakes -54

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 06:50:30 PM »

openarena
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:23:44 PM by 0kelvin » Logged
fractor
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »

I thought lordhavoc's baby was Darkplaces. The Linux port (Darkplaces) is great.
but he needs to earn money. right?
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 08:04:44 AM »

But who is programming it?
my guess would be a small team of devs but idk

<edit> but I do know not everyone will be able to see the code <edit>
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 09:16:45 AM by Case » Logged
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 08:47:38 AM »

Quakelive is the evolution of quake 3 arena and is an Ofiicial ID Software project.  This is going to be awesome, maybe a lead in to Doom3Live...who know.

Comparing OA to QL is like comparing Apples to Oranges, Quakelive is just better.

Why do you call a browser-ported version evolved? That means no difference. It's just another way, like if you port a Windows exe to PlayStation, etc. About officiality, I can mention some examples when a mod (which isn't official) really evolved the game. Mental Omega and Wake of Gods are the best examples, because they created their own storyline, etc. so they should be called unofficial expansion packs instead of mods.

In my dictionary, 'evolution' means a good expansion pack or a sequel. Not a port. And this is why I think OpenArena worths the state 'evolution', because it features numerous gametweaks over Quake3 or QuakeLive.

PS. I don't like oranges.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 09:56:54 AM »

i'm curious, what numerous gametweaks are you referring to?
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 10:01:25 AM »

IPv6, different female deaths in rnd.c, more crosshairs, allowing TA features to use without using TA, blood... Should I continue?

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »

the only things i see as real evolution would be the ipv6 and built in voip (ioquake3).
and the stuff taken from team arena isn't it present in quake live too?

the way i see it quake live is more evolved with friends, stats, matchmaking and online updating.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: